January 3, 2021
The Epiphany of the Lord
Leading Us to Love
They were overjoyed at seeing the star…
Matthew 2:10

Epiphany. The word itself means “appearance” or “manifestation.” Today’s reading recounts the journey of the magi to encounter the Christ Child in Bethlehem. They were told to look for the presence of the star as the sign of where to go, how to find him.We are still seeking such revelation today, yearning, as were the magi, to find the presence of the Lord.

We are each on a similar journey, experiencing a deep knowing that there is a greater purpose, a more meaningful connection, a longing for something more. The ways of the world will never lead us there, will never fill our empty places, will never quell our restlessness. Someone described it once to me as a vague sense of homesickness.

- Kristin Armstrong

Isaiah 60:1-6 • Psalm 72:1-2, 7-8, 10-13 Ephesians 3:2-3a, 5-6 • Matthew 2:1-12

Comments

January 3, 2021 at 05:15 PM

Kristin, thank you for your beautiful devotion. * I especially like what you wrote: "Just as it was for the magi, our best course is to follow the light that leads us to love. If we feel lost, we turn our gaze up." The story of the Magi told in today’s Gospel is a summary of the principal dynamics of the spiritual life. Watching the night sky with scrupulous attention for signs of God’s purpose, the Magi evoke the importance of alertness in the spiritual order. We must keep our eyes open to see what God is up to. They teach us to follow and trust in the Lord’s leading, to honor him with the best of our gifts, and to muster the courage to face down opposition to our King. Today the Lord is calling us to give Jesus the present of ourselves, to prostrate ourselves before Him and do Him homage (Mt 2:11). God Bless Our Living Faith Family.

January 3, 2021 at 03:57 PM

Dedicating tonight's rosary for you, Tim. May it be an uneventful procedure. Continued prayers for the Living Faith family in the early stages of this new year. May we all be blessed with health, happiness and a positive outlook in the coming year.

January 3, 2021 at 01:58 PM

Hey Tim! This one's for you....Prayer after prayer for a smooth, uneventful procedure! God's Got This!

Tim
January 3, 2021 at 02:22 PM

Pam, thank you. I put my bible in my to go gym bag just now and will print off the readings for Sunday, in case I end up spending over night. I just want to get in there ASAP, wish it was today. I will be thankful to know, just what is going on. They are going through my wrist, a little less evasive I guess. It is all in God's hands to fix me, I have strong Faith and want to share more of it with others. Thank you so much and thank you for being my people!

January 3, 2021 at 12:02 PM

Thank you, Prayer Warriors :two_hearts: Jessi is tested negative and she is on her way home today via Albuquerque, NM and Atlanta GA to Raleigh NC arriving at 10pm tonight :pray: She will be back to her day job at EPA at 8am (6am Gallup time) tomorrow which may be hard after working 1pm-1am for two weeks :-)

Tim
January 3, 2021 at 02:24 PM

Salina, thank you for letting us know. Amen

January 3, 2021 at 11:13 AM

I wonderful reading today as we leave to help feed the homeless this morning

January 3, 2021 at 11:10 AM

January 3, 2021 at 10:41 AM

January 3, 2021 at 10:06 AM

I like this definition of Epiphany in Merriam-Wester, "an illuminating discovery, realization, or disclosure!" I have this epiphany every time I read His Word :-) to the point where I feel naked without reading and studying His Word before going about my day (we were talking about how important it is to each of us coming to LF Daily Catholic Devotions every morning at our Zoom call on New Year day :-) *** Psalm 119:130, "The teaching of Your Word gives light, so even the simple can understand!" Psalm 119:105, "Your Word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path!" John 8:12, "I am (Jesus is) the Light of the world. If you follow Me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the Light that leads to life!"*** ***So what is the bottom line for me with this LIGHT? *Isaiah 60:6c, "Proclaiming the praises of the LORD!" *Ephesians 3:6, "The Gentiles are coheirs, members of the same body, and copartners in the promise in Christ Jesus through the Gospel!" *Matthew 2:10-11a, "They were overjoyed at seeing the star, and on entering the house they saw the Child with Mary His mother!"*** ***Yes: praises, good news and joy!!!*** ***Psalm 72:8 - May You rule from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth. Lord, every nation on earth will adore You. Amen!*** ***America The Beautiful https://youtu.be/BHtBGJeuARQ***

January 3, 2021 at 02:16 PM

New Year resolution to study God's Word? Studying God's Word on various platforms offered without cost by Bible Study Fellowship, https://www.bsfinternational.org: * Local in-person (Zoom for now) classes - https://www.bsfinternational.org/map * Online classes (multi-languages) at all days and times - https://www.bsfonline.org * Online BSF App (devices only) for your local or online classes or self study - https://app.bsfinternational.org * WordGo by BSF (devices only) for self or your own group study - https://www.wordgo.org

January 3, 2021 at 09:59 AM

Living faith family please keep Tim in your prayers and thoughts as he is going for surgery Monday Please pray for the people who have no one to pray for them and the essential workers and their families. Please pray for Patrick and Jessi Zachary and Patricia l I am not a robot!!!! Ken

Tillie
January 3, 2021 at 05:01 PM

Tim, I am praying that your surgery on Monday will be successful and that you will recover quickly. God Bless You and may He give you strength.

Tim
January 3, 2021 at 02:24 PM

Ken, thank you!

EM
January 3, 2021 at 10:15 AM

Amen. Tim you are in my prayers and I will offer up my rosary for your intentions. Ken and the LF Family I look forward to a continued Journey with all of you as we share our faith prayers and hopes.

January 3, 2021 at 10:07 AM

:-)

January 3, 2021 at 09:14 AM

“Arise your light has come, the glory of the Lord has risen upon us”. “All of us shall walk by his light, he has freed us from darkness and gathered his people to himself”. Isaiah, says it clearly to us in today’s first reading. God fulfilling his promise to all of us by giving his one and only son to us, so that we may see and not stumble. His light, shines for us, let us help bring others to the light from this darkness in our own lives. St. Paul let’s all of us know that we have been given this privilege to know Christ, unlike the people of old before Jesus’s time. Then he a servant of God came to the Ephesians to open their eyes and share the message of Jesus the Messiah and bestowed on the them the Holy Spirit. Today, we gladly celebrate The Epiphany. The manifestation of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, as represented by the visit of the Magi. The story begins with a rage of jealously and deceit by King Herod and ends up being a glorious event with these wise men standing over, paying their respects to the NEW born King, the baby Jesus. Let us put ourselves in the story “Lectio Divina” and stand next to the animals, so to be not in the way, but have a clear view of this blessed event. Look, they are kneeling down in front of the baby Jesus, presenting him with gifts, worthy of a King. Their faces seem to reflect much Joy in their hearts. It is good that we are here, absorbing this great event into our own hearts. Jesus wants each of us to come to him, pay him homage, and be filled with this same joy for our lives. As Isaiah says “Arise your light has come, the glory of the Lord has risen upon us”. “All of us shall walk by his light, he has freed us from darkness and gathered his people to himself”. Now it is our turn to walk out into our world with this same joy and much happiness in our hearts. Not only will our lives be transformed, but hopefully we will be able to share this light with others. Praying for all of the Living Faith Family, praying for all the ones who have no one to pray for them and praying for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they too will be reunited with their Heavenly Father. Amen.

Tim
January 3, 2021 at 02:26 PM

Amen Ken!

January 3, 2021 at 09:52 AM

Tim another beautiful reflection Know that I am praying for you and your procedure to be successful right now and then again tomorrow Ken

January 3, 2021 at 09:02 AM

Thanks for your reflection Kristin. I love this poem “Journey of the Magi” by T.S. Eliot about the advent of Christianity https://www.poetryinvoice.com/poems/journey-magi

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
January 3, 2021 at 03:16 AM

Thanks Kristin for today's devotion. If we want to find the fullness of truth, our origin, purpose and destiny in life, we must be like the Magi who were willing to invest their entire life seeking an answer to the mystery of life, creation and humanity. Finding God is more than a nice aspiration. We need to walk the journey of faith. This journey is full of unknowns. It involves risks and adventure. Like the Magi, we must continue to search until we find the star again. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone.

david