January 2, 2021
Sts. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen
Father, Son and Spirit
Anyone who denies the Son does not have the Father, but whoever confesses the Son has the Father as well.
1 John 2:23

I’ve struggled to understand the mystery of God’s nature—which isn’t surprising because, in a real sense, it is unknowable. Today is the feast day of Sts. Basil and Gregory Nazianzen—both doctors of the Roman church, both key figures in Eastern Orthodoxy. Gregory is one of three Orthodox saints designated “theologian.” Basil is father of Eastern monasticism and a major influence on its western form. Basil and Gregory were very close from the time they met in boarding school and remained friends through life despite separation by duties. Both played key roles in the 300s, along with Basil’s brother St. Gregory of Nyssa, as Church structures and theology developed. A major conflict of their time was belief about the nature of God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Both were key advocates of the Trinitarian formula—the central mystery of our faith. Let’s celebrate the struggle to understand God’s nature and those devoted to it, including Basil and Gregory

- Phil Fox Rose

1 John 2:22-28 • Psalm 98:1-4 John 1:19-28

Comments

January 2, 2021 at 04:38 PM

I'm sorry I'm late: HAPPY NEW YEAR to all our Living Faith Family. Hope 2021 brings you joy, happiness and many blessings.

January 2, 2021 at 04:33 PM

Phil, thank you for your devotion. * Today's Gospel is about John the Baptist's testimony where He declares that he is the forerunner of Christ. "Why, when we first hear of the adult John the Baptist, is he out in the desert and not in the temple, where you would expect the son of a priest to be? Well, in John’s time, the temple was involved in very messy politics. What is drawing people into the desert to see him? He is offering what the temple ought to be offering but wasn’t: the forgiveness of sins. This was the importance of John’s baptism." * Through our Faith, our Perseverance and Relation in Our Lord Jesus Christ, we come to believe and understand the mystery of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. * God Bess Our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

January 2, 2021 at 01:44 PM

As humans we are a body, with a brain that thinks and a heart that feels but are one person. So much greater must be Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I can only imagine but I believe!

January 2, 2021 at 12:57 PM

January 2, 2021 at 12:43 PM

January 2, 2021 at 12:04 PM

For me I chose to accept God’s gift of Jesus and the repentance of sins and THEN I knew what I needed to know intellectually. I saw the world in a NEW way. A friend said the scales fell from her eyes and she was able to understand the bible.

January 2, 2021 at 01:05 PM

Amen, Donna!!! 2 Corinthians 3:12-18, "With that kind of hope to excite us, nothing holds us back. Unlike Moses, we have nothing to hide. Everything is out in the open with us. He wore a veil so the children of Israel wouldn’t notice that the glory was fading away—and they didn’t notice. They didn’t notice it then and they don’t notice it now, don’t notice that there’s nothing left behind that veil. Even today when the proclamations of that old, bankrupt government are read out, they can’t see through it. Only Christ can get rid of the veil so they can see for themselves that there’s nothing there. Whenever, though, they turn to face God as Moses did, God removes the veil and there they are—face-to-face! They suddenly recognize that God is a living, personal presence, not a piece of chiseled stone. And when God is personally present, a living Spirit, that old, constricting legislation is recognized as obsolete. We’re free of it! All of us! Nothing between us and God, our faces shining with the brightness of His face. And so we are transfigured much like the Messiah, our lives gradually becoming brighter and more beautiful as God enters our lives and we become like Him." (The Message) Amen!

January 2, 2021 at 11:01 AM

I had a great reflection then I went to send it, it was gone. Oh well. Let me try to recreate it, but the Holy Spirit was on fire through me when I was writing it. I was saying that life is full of choices, good or bad, left or right, but when it come to our faith there are few. If you believe in the Father then you believe in the Son and if you believe in the Son you believe in the Father, it is that simple. Yes, we are all blessed because we also have the third person of the blessed trinity to look out for us and pray too, The Holy Spirit. In today's Gospel we see the Jews of Jesus's day, asking John The Baptist, who are you. John appearance, actions were getting the attention of the Jews back then, and this is great news, because when it comes to our faith, we do not want to leave it under the table/night stand for others not to see, do we. No, we want it front and center. John fulfilled the old Testament from Isaiah, one is to come to prepare the way of the Lord. Isaiah, said this some 700 years before John was even born, if this does not get our belief in God even stronger than it is today, I do not know what anyone can every show us or teach us. Fulfilling the Old Testament to me has always been very interesting to me. With our Christian Catholic Faith that we follow, we are so blessed to have all of our rich sacraments, and to be able to receive the actual body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. To me, when it comes to our faith, the choice is easy, there is only one. Continued prayers for our Living Faith Family, for all of the people who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory to be reunited today. with our Heavenly Father. It was great to see all who were on the Living Faith Zoom call yesterday. You are all very special to me in my life. Amen

January 2, 2021 at 11:31 AM

I know exactly how you feel, Tim...losing all the writing the Holy Spirit has given you and put you on fire this morning!!! When that happened to me the other day, I had two thoughts: 1) I lost my lesson, then I realized I didn't lose MY lesson! 2) The lessons I learn has always been for me and not for others. I was just sharing MY lessons! Okay, one more thought, learn to copy the whole thing before hit Submit :-) * Sometimes I think God has such a sense of humor with me that He says, "Practice what you have learned FIRST! You have not done this yourself yet, why do you think it is easy to say/write than do/act?" Salina, "You got me there, Lord :-)" Tim, enjoy your family travelling from Florida this week and may God's healing hands be with you, your doctor and the care team this Monday before, during and after the medical procedure, Amen!!!

January 2, 2021 at 10:10 AM

I used to struggle with the concept of Trinity, but no more :-) Now my conversation goes like this, "I will never win any argument with You, Lord God! There is only one of me, but there are three of You..." This verse helps me with things that I don't or do not yet understand in Deuteronomy 29:29, "The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law." ***https://www.gotquestions.org/Trinity-Bible.html, "The doctrine of the Trinity has been a divisive issue throughout the entire history of the Christian church. While the core aspects of the Trinity are clearly presented in God’s Word, some of the side issues are not as explicitly clear. The Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God—but there is only one God. That is the biblical doctrine of the Trinity. Beyond that, the issues are, to a certain extent, debatable and non-essential. Rather than attempting to fully define the Trinity with our finite human minds, we would be better served by focusing on the fact of God’s greatness and His infinitely higher nature."*** ***Here is the bottom line for me: 1)When I have God the Holy Spirit, I have God the Son, Jesus, in *John 14:26, "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." *1 John 2:27, "But the Anointing (Holy Spirit) which you have received from Him (God the Father) abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same Anointing (Holy Spirit) teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him God the Son, Jesus)." *Luke 12:12, "For the Holy Spirit will teach you in that very hour what you ought to say." 2) When I have God the Son, Jesus, I have God the Father in *Matthew 11:27, "All things have been delivered to Me (Jesus) by My Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father. Nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him (God the Father). *John 14:7, "If you had known Me (Jesus), you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him." *John 8:19, "Then they said to Him (Jesus), “Where is Your Father?” Jesus answered, “You know neither Me nor My Father. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also." 3)How do I know I have the Holy Spirit? *Ephesians 1:13, "And now you Gentiles have also heard the truth, the Good News that God saves you. And when you believed in Christ, He identified you as His own by giving you the Holy Spirit, Hhom He promised long ago." *https://www.gotquestions.org/have-the-Holy-Spirit.html, "The Bible teaches that anyone who accepts Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior receives God’s Holy Spirit at the moment of Salvation." *Romans 8:9, "You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ."*** There are a lot of Scripture I quoted here. That is why I love the Scripture, I love to study them and I love how the holy Spirit teaches and guides me through them :-) Everything starts with believing Jesus is the Son of God Who died for my sins on the cross, He was raised from the dead on the third day, He is now seated on the right hand of the Father interceding for me and He will come in glory and the world will have no end then :-) To that I say Amen!!! We Believe by Newsboys https://youtu.be/ZLvGbQG36xA

January 2, 2021 at 07:48 AM

A belated Happy New Year to all! Just wanted to thank all the regulars who comment and provide such inspiring thoughts and hopeful messages - I really appreciate them. God bless our days and year!

Sid
January 2, 2021 at 11:10 AM

Amen! Amen! Amen!

kjc
January 2, 2021 at 10:44 AM

Salina, Thank you for the Zoom meeting I too struggle with the concept of the trinity and of faith then I recall St Thomas Aquinas "To one who has faith no explanation is necessary. To one without faith , no explanation is possible" I still think we can explain our faith by example. Living Faith family whenever I get lost I go to Isaiah 55:8-9 For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord. 9 “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways And My thoughts than your thoughts. I am praying for Tim procedure, Patrick and Jessi. Ken

January 2, 2021 at 07:44 AM

Prayers for Souls in Purgatory and the conversion of poor sinners. Love the beautiful white snow covering our brown fields that we had for Christmas. It brings renewed hope a the coming year! God Bless LF family :)