January 1, 2021
Mary, the Mother of God
Remembering and Pondering
Mary kept all these things, reflecting on them in her heart.
Luke 2:19

What “things” did Mary keep and reflect on in her heart? Mary reflected on everything—Gabriel’s announcement, Jesus’ conception, her visit to Elizabeth, Joseph’s initial anguish, his incredible trust and love, their arduous trek to Bethlehem, the birth in a stable, the visit of some strange shepherds—not merely the pretty and obviously good things, but also the mysterious and painful things. For she knew, nothing was beyond the scope of God’s love.

In this new year, let us renew ourselves in remembering and pondering the things that comprise our daily lives—whether pretty, painful, obviously good or steeped in mystery.

May we renew our faith and trust in God, knowing that nothing can happen to us this coming year that is beyond the reach of God’s saving love.

Wise and gracious God, teach me, like Mary, to remember and ponder the things of my daily life. I entrust this new year (as I do every year) to your saving power and love.

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

Numbers 6:22-27 • Psalm 67:2-3, 5-6, 8 Galatians 4:4-7 • Luke 2:16-21

Comments

January 1, 2021 at 03:52 PM

Amen! Happy New Year, LF Family! <3

January 1, 2021 at 03:04 PM

I have not received my first quarter 2021 devotional. I am thankful it is available online today.

LAURA de la Garza Respond to comment
January 1, 2021 at 01:06 PM

I read the devotion daily but have not gotten my January book until I can go but it at the religious store. I was happy to get it on line today. As I can't replace till Monday. Love the daily devotion!

Living Faith Team
January 4, 2021 at 09:37 AM

Hello! Don't forget that you can also subscribe here at the website at this link: https://www.livingfaith.com/subscribe

January 1, 2021 at 10:43 AM

Oh Dear God, You set the way before us this first day of the New Year. I pray that we reflect your peace and hope to all who we meet. This world so dearly needs Your presence and healing. To You be glory and honor, in this New Year, and forever. God Bless Us All And All Who We Love!

January 1, 2021 at 09:45 AM

How lovely You bless us with Your Word today, Lord God!!! ***You Lord: 1)The LORD bless us and keep us! 2)The LORD let Your face shine upon us, and be gracious to us! 3)The LORD look upon us kindly and give us peace! 4)God has pity on us and bless us! 5)God rules the peoples in equity; the nations on the earth You guide! 6)You sent the Spirit of Your Son (Jesus) into our hearts! 7)In these last days, You have spoken to us through Your Son!*** ***As a result: 1)We invoke Jesus' Name upon His people! 2)Your Way be known upon earth! 3)Your Salvation be known among nations! 4)All the peoples praise You! 5)All the ends of the earth fear You 6)We receive adoption as sons and daughters crying out, “Abba, Father!” 7) We are glorifying and praising God for all we had heard and seen!*** ***I can only praise You, Lord Jesus!...And Now My Lifesong Sings by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/ZTcZ9xfFBqQ***

david
January 1, 2021 at 06:53 PM

Amen

January 1, 2021 at 09:06 AM

Happy New Year! Celebrated the end of the year with the arrival of my first grandchild! I have much to be grateful for as I recall that In a year of uncertainty and anxiety my son got married and honeymooned right before the shutdown; we all stayed employed and healthy and now a grandchild. At the start of the pandemic I entrusted my family to the loving care of Mary. I kicked off a family rosary as well. Last night I entrusted 2021 to the care of the holy family. Thank you to the Living Faith community for sharing their faith fears and prayers and love for each other. May we all continue to ponder how good God is indeed. Jesus Mary & Joseph pray for us!

January 1, 2021 at 09:06 AM

Happy New Year To Everyone. Blessed Mother Mary, may I continue to walk with you daily in my faith commitment to your son. May you help me in my prayers and intercessions on my behalf to your son. The way to the son is through you, my Blessed Mother Mary. May I continue to strengthen my daily relationship with you. I pray for this in your sons name, Amen. I am going to share again what I wrote yesterday as today's reflection, because it is still relevant today as the NEW YEAR is beginning a NEW. Who would have ever thought that 2020 was a year that a pandemic would hit and would cause not only physical pain, but pain for many small business and families. But when we look with the glass half full we see more family time actually spent, actually more productive workers in the work force, working from home. Parts of the economy booming as home improvement stores are having record years. Developing a strong relationship with God, tops my list. I always try everyday to put God first in my life, but with the pandemic here and my work life adjusted drastically, I have found more down time that I can use to spend more time in growing my faith. So see ya 2020 and HELLO 2021, stronger spiritually than ever. I would like to share a few thoughts I read this morning during my reflections. “O Jesus, you know that without you I am nothing”. “Allow me to spend this coming year in your love and service, without counting the cost”. “Bless me and my family, those with whom I come into contact, especially those who dislike me”. “Bring to yourself those who seek you, the light”. “Bless the dying, the poor, the sick and the lost”. “Come Lord, visit us in peace that we might rejoice before you”. “Sweet Lord, give me the peace of your Holy Spirit, so that I may look ahead with confidence in the NEW YEAR”. Happy NEW YEAR to all of our Living Faith Family and beyond. Dear Jesus hear our prayers today for our Living Faith Family, and for all of those who have no one to pray for them. Please continue to hear our prayers for all of the Souls in Purgatory, that they soon be reunited with their loving God, in paradise. AMEN.

January 1, 2021 at 08:59 AM

Amen Sister Melanie!

January 1, 2021 at 08:56 AM

Sr. Melannie, thank you for your beautiful devotion. * May we all reflect and "ponder" on this past year, on all the good and bad things, on ourselves. With our Blessed Mother Mary's help, may we reflect on where we need to make improvements and changes. Welcome 2021, Happy New Year Living Faith Family and God Bless You.

January 1, 2021 at 08:31 AM

Blessings to all the Living Faith Family on this New Year's Day. Thank you for your love and support. Praying the New Year brings healing and peace. May you walk your journey with God and may it be surrounded by love. God bless.

January 1, 2021 at 08:21 AM

Thank you sister Melanie for your inspirational words. Happy New Year to all. May this year be filled with less hardship and more strength to trust in our Lord.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
January 1, 2021 at 05:43 AM

Happy new year. Thanks Sr Melannie for today's devotion. Newness of the new year 2021 is that we are a new creation. With the coming of Christ, the world has been radically transformed and re-oriented. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a blessed day everyone .

January 1, 2021 at 05:01 AM

Thank you Sr. Melannie for today's devotion. May we also reflect on this past year. Was it tragic or triumphant, hurtful or helpful? Were we a sinner or Saint to the people we met on our journey through 2020? Let us look ahead and welcome 2021 with renewed faith in our God and trust in His love for us. I also wish you a blessed and happy new year.

January 1, 2021 at 12:45 AM

"You crown the year with a bountiful harvest; even the hard pathways overflow with abundance. The grasslands of the wilderness become a lush pasture, and the hillsides blossom with joy. The meadows are clothed with flocks of sheep, and the valleys are carpeted with grain. They (we) all shout and sing for joy! - Psalm 65:11-13 Have a Happy and Blessed New Year ????

January 1, 2021 at 12:46 AM

???? are two hearts emoji