December 31, 2020
St. Sylvester I
Resolutions
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:1

Tomorrow starts a new year. It’s usually a time for resolutions, a time to give some thought to where we have been and where we might be going. One of the problems with making resolutions is that we have trouble keeping them. I know this firsthand. After many years of making and breaking promises for the new year, I figured that it might be better to just focus on one problem area. So, if you are like I am, my advice is, look at your life. Make a sincere effort to find out in which single area you can improve. Focus on changing that part of your life. Put that resolution on paper and keep it with you. Add a daily prayer to that single resolution, asking God to help you make that change. This strategy helped me make some important changes. It’s a strategy that might work for you. Happy New Year, and God bless your resolutions!

- Paul Pennick

1 John 2:18-21 • Psalm 96:1-2, 11-13 • John 1:1-18

Comments

December 31, 2020 at 12:15 PM

I constantly say, that I am God our Father’s...Work In Progress. This year I want to grow even more both Spiritually and Personally, I truly realize that I (we) sin daily and I must work that much harder in 2021. I am retiring at the end of February and I will attempt to begin a new journey...what God has in store for me is really exciting. I cannot wait to see how this chapter unfolds. He has taken care of me for almost 56 years and he provides for my family and I am so thankful. Yes it’s time to GROW in 2021 for all that he has done. God Bless all of you, have a Joyous New Year and let us all make 2021 the best ever.

December 31, 2020 at 10:47 AM

Amen, and a Happy New Year.

December 31, 2020 at 10:00 AM

December 31, 2020 at 09:40 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for today's Gospel. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen

Dean J Tessitore Respond to comment
December 31, 2020 at 09:37 AM

Tomorrow will Mark one year since I’ve had an alcoholic beverage. On New Year’s Day last year I just all of a sudden decided to stop drinking and I with the help and grace of God succeeded in doing so. Anything and everything is possible with God, we must never give up and place our hope and trust in him every second of every day!

KathyJ
December 31, 2020 at 01:06 PM

Please pray that I can succeed in doing the same as Dean starting tomorrow and God willing a whole year! Love this family!

December 31, 2020 at 10:31 AM

Congratulations, Dean! Thank you for sharing :-) My husband stopped drinking since his ischemic stroke 2 years ago and he has lost 25 lbs. He is more healthy and more engaging than he has ever been :-) Anyone who wants to lose weight for the new year? Stop drinking :-):-):-)

December 31, 2020 at 09:10 AM

Amen! Thank you for this wisdom. Wishing everyone a happy, beautiful New Year, filled with God's love.

Barbara
January 1, 2021 at 03:12 AM

That is wonderful!! Congratulations! I pray everyday that my son will stop drinking, but so far he hasn't. He is an alcoholic as was my father, but my father did stop when he was in his sixties. After that we had a good relationship. I pray the same for my son.

Barbara
December 31, 2020 at 10:16 AM

Congratulations! One day at a time. My husband has been sober one day at a time for 35 years. He says the number of years is less important than today. Celebrate your year and live in today. Today is God's gift to us. That's why it's called the present. May you have peace. ????

Cindy A
December 31, 2020 at 09:53 AM

Dean, you have blessed us all by sharing your success! With God, all things are possible.

December 31, 2020 at 09:08 AM

Paul, thank you for your reflection and wise suggestions as we face a new year. Who would have ever thought that 2020 was a year that a pandemic would hit and would cause not only physical pain, but pain for many small business and families. But when we look with the glass half full we see more family time actually spent, actually more productive workers in the work force, working from home. Parts of the economy booming as home improvement stores are having record years. Developing a strong relationship with God, tops my list. I always try everyday to put God first in my life, but with the pandemic here and my work life adjusted drastically, I have found more down time that I can use to spend more time in growing my faith. So see ya 2020 and HELLO 2021, stronger spiritually than ever. I would like to share a few thoughts I read this morning during my reflections. “O Jesus, you know that without you I am nothing”. “Allow me to spend this coming year in your love and service, without counting the cost”. “Bless me and my family, those with whom I come into contact, especially those who dislike me”. “Bring to yourself those who seek you, the light”. “Bless the dying, the poor, the sick and the lost”. “Come Lord, visit us in peace that we might rejoice before you”. “Sweet Lord, give me the peace of your Holy Spirit, so that I may look ahead with confidence in the NEW YEAR”. Happy NEW YEAR to all of our Living Faith Family and beyond. Dear Jesus hear our prayers today for our Living Faith Family, and for all of those who have no one to pray for them. Please continue to hear our prayers for all of the Souls in Purgatory, that they soon be reunited with their loving God, in paradise. AMEN.

December 31, 2020 at 08:52 AM

"“Federal agents don’t learn to spot counterfeit money by studying the counterfeits. They study genuine bills until they master the look of the real thing. Then when they see the bogus money they recognize it.” Variuos sources confirmed this statement! ***So if you want to spot the lies, you have to know the truth! 1 John 2:21, "I write to you not because you do not know the truth but because you do, and because every lie is alien to the truth!" How do I learn the truth? Know Who Jesus is in His Word!!!*** ***Why and how? John 1:1, 14, "In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word (Jesus) was with God, and the Word (Jesus) was God...And the Word (Jesus) became flesh and made His dwelling among us, and we saw His glory, the glory as of the Father’s only-begotten Son, full of grace and truth!"*** ***So how can 2021 be better than 2020 for me and those around me? The more I know Jesus, the better I am and will be in 2021! The one obvious way is to study Jesus (the Word) through the Holy Spirit :-)*** ***So I repent of my own ways to reach God or heaven, I surrender all of me to learn and know more of You, Lord Jesus, through Your Word and Holy Spirit and I commit to spend time with You everyday in my thoughts, with my words and through my deeds to bring You glory! May my thoughts, words and deeds be pleasing to You, Lord Jesus! Amen!*** ***I Surrender by Hillsong Worship https://youtu.be/s7jXASBWwwI

December 31, 2020 at 08:31 AM

Praise God for 2020, a year where I have witnessed people all over pulling their resources together for others. Praise God for moving our hearts to “agape” love for one another. I pray that throughout 2021 I will continue to have open ears to hear the needs others, my eyes open to see the needs of others and hands ready for action. Heavenly Father, thank you for my gifts to share and for your boundless mercy. LFF, God’s Blessing to you and your loved ones!

Pam
December 31, 2020 at 09:12 AM

Linda B. that was perfect! I feel much the same way. I even feel bad when I hear people say how horrible this year has been and can’t wait for it to be over. Your words put better understanding to my feelings. I have been truly blessed this year in so many ways, and the enormity of the repercussions of this pandemic have opened my heart and arms wider. Prayer flows through my heart all day long. God Bless us all and all who we love.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
December 31, 2020 at 06:22 AM

Happy new year's eve. Thanks Paul for today's devotion. Lord our God, thank you for letting your light shine every day of every year. Thank you that we may always lift our eyes to you, whose right hand will bring true order to everything, even in difficult times. Give our hearts the strength to be faithful in this age, the strength to glorify you. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a great day everyone.

Gayle
December 31, 2020 at 12:05 PM

Love it! Heart and arms opened wider. Healthy New Year to All! Dean, congrats, stay strong in Christ.

December 31, 2020 at 05:16 AM

Thank you Paul, I found your suggestion very helpful. I will give it some thought during the day, there are a number of things competing for my #1 resolution slot. I will hand it over to the Lord to prompt me. I will contemplate and discern during the day and before midnight I will write it down as my 2021 resolution. A blessed happy healthy new year to all.

EM
December 31, 2020 at 09:08 AM

Amen. I agree Patrick and like your suggestion to turn it over to the Lord for prompting. Prayers for all may we all have a safe and blessed New Year!