December 29, 2020
St. Thomas Becket
Faithful, Loving Presence
Lord, now let your servant go in peace; your word has been fulfilled.
Luke 2:29

Another calendar year is drawing to an end. When I look back, what do I see? What emotions do the events of this year’s journey around the sun bring?  Perhaps the year has been dominated by sadness or discord, and we won’t be sorry at all to see it go.

Perhaps 2020 will stand out in our memories for unexpected and surprising moments of joy. Maybe we’ll be glad for what we learned, even if that schooling was difficult and unwelcome.

In that moment in the Temple, Simeon knew he was in the presence of someone special. He knew God was at work. My challenge, as I reflect back and look forward, is to remember that this child who Simeon welcomed was with me every moment of this past year. And because of that, no matter what, because of him, I can move on the journey—in peace.

Loving God, thank you for another year of life and your faithful, loving presence.

- Amy Welborn

1 John 2:3-11 • Psalm 96:1-3, 5-6 • Luke 2:22-35

Comments

December 29, 2020 at 08:09 PM

Thank you, all, for the blessing to hear your guidance of trust in Jesus. I pray that I also may trust as many of you have explained in your comments.

December 29, 2020 at 04:57 PM

Amy, thank you for your devotion. * As with everyone, this year has been an extremely hard year for all of us, for the whole world, it brought chaos and destruction. For a reason God has sent all of this, especially the pandemic and the isolation. For me, the isolation has tested my faith, my relationship with Jesus, my heart and my soul. It has made me reflect on myself, my life, my family and is making me think of where I need to make improvements and changes. What is certain and true is that my love, faith, and trust in Jesus remains strong and I will continue to follow and persevere in Him no matter what the next year, 2021, brings. ** Keep looking for the little things. God's blessings will come to you, Filling your heart with peace and joy, And making your life brand new. *** I will look forward to 2021.

December 29, 2020 at 11:10 AM

Thank you for the reflection today. Please keep the good people of Nashville in your prayers. The Christmas morning bombing has shaken us all. We've had a hard year here starting with the devastating tornadoes. All the way through, though, there have been blessings. We are resilient people and will rebuild. Let us keep in mind this holy season and the Christ child who came to save us all. God bless you all richly in 2021.

Tillie
December 29, 2020 at 05:05 PM

Barbara, the Christmas morning bombing in Nashville is such a tragedy and heartbreaking. My prayers are with all people there, especially for the" Heroes", they saved a lot of lives. God Bless all of Nashville.

Bill L
December 29, 2020 at 04:43 PM

Prayers for you this evening, Barbara. The city of Nashville has family of mine too, mere blocks from the damage. The word 'Heroes' is often used to describe ordinary people just doing their job. But these officers went above and beyond their job. Prayers for them too.

December 29, 2020 at 11:04 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen

December 29, 2020 at 10:47 AM

Lost my lesson/comments (not that I lose it, but I won't be able to share all of it :-)...Oh, well! So a lot shorter version without quoting every Scripture :-) The Gospel: 2020 is like a contradictory sign and a piercing sword! I cannot act fearful and present my situation as if God doesn't exist and is not in control...He is God and is in control! So 2020 is His plan and it actually reveals the thoughts of many hearts!!! I have counted 2020 the year of God's favor: 1)time with immediate family! 2)economy and death toll is not the lesson 3)believing God and acting accordingly in response is the lesson! On top of that God clears out the air by limiting the driving, the water by limiting the tourism, and the ?unnecessary? activities by limiting work, school, dinning and church :-) That bring me to John 4:20-24...We must worship in Spirit and in Truth: only with the Holy Spirit and Jesus that I am capable of worshipping God! It is not the building or the temple or the churches or not even the rituals that we do, but Jesus and the Holy Spirit :-) So I pray, "Let the heavens be glad and the earth rejoice! I announce His Salvation, day after day. I Tell His glory among the nations; among all peoples, His wondrous deeds!" Amen! Be Thou My Vision by BYU Vocal Point https://youtu.be/Qx3CcsfU814

December 29, 2020 at 02:45 PM

Please don't get me wrong, I am not minimizing this very difficult year for everyone! I am prompted to not put us down but to lift our Lord God up where He belongs :-) When I start with Him, I end up with Him! But when I start with me, I end up with me :-( You may say I don't even have immediate family with me this year? Then you must have gotten very close to your real immediate family, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit :-)

December 29, 2020 at 10:22 AM

December 29, 2020 at 10:14 AM

December 29, 2020 at 09:49 AM

Amy, well said!

December 29, 2020 at 09:45 AM

Amy, thank you for the clear understanding that Christ is always with us, in the peace of our lives and the storms. This past year for sure, for our family had both. Sometimes we need to be reminded of the peaceful times, to give Jesus the praise, honor and love he deserves in the good times as well as the during the storms we face. In today’s first reading, the message I take away is we cannot let our mouths say one thing and our hearts and actions to another. We are either in darkness, or in the light. Back and forth is not good for anyone, and during our past preparation of his coming we hopefully have walked out of the darkness and into the light. We all wander sometimes off the path a bit, but when we do not hear Jesus anymore, is the true sign we need to get back on the path that leads us to the light. In most of my life, I did not understand Mary of Mother, the Mother of God very well. Yes, I know who she was, but I did not give her the praise, honor, respect and love that I should have and for that I am deeply sorry. I strive to be a better servant and show Mary respect, honor, praise and love she deserves. I our blessed Rosary is one way and the other is spend some time with her in prayer, asking her for her help and intercession on our behalf with her son our Lord and Savior. All of have heard before the way to the Father is through the son, but an additional blessing to remember, is the way to the son is through his Mother. The love between a parent and a child is very great, a love between a Mother and a child is even greater. Today remember what Mary our Blessed Mother went through, to bring Jesus to all mankind. She gave birth to our Lord. She cared and raised our Lord. She, bore a Mother’s suffering that no mother should ever have to go through in this life. For who, you ask, for our Heavenly Father and all of us. Dear Mary, thank you so much for saying yes and enduring all the pain and suffering you had endured for us. We are extremely grateful and love you with all of our heart. Prayers for our Living Faith Family, prayers for the ones who have no one to pray for them and prayers for all of the Souls in Purgatory, that they be reunited with our Heavenly Father. Amen

david
December 29, 2020 at 08:03 PM

Amen

December 29, 2020 at 08:24 AM

This has been a hard year and we have all been through hard times in such different ways. I try to think of anything positive that this past year has given to me and as I reflect what God has shared is a strong appreciation of those people, friends and family, that I have not been able to see during these hard times and am thankful for being blessed with them in my life past and future.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
December 29, 2020 at 05:34 AM

Season's greeting to everyone. Thanks Amy for today's devotion. The child Jesus is a glimpse of hope for our future. At Christmas, we put on lights , small ones, to give hope and joy to the world because God has come in the baby Jesus. These tiny lights like the stars will one day shine so brightly as Jesus would in his death and resurrection, when the glory of his majesty would be revealed. We are called to be like St Stephen, the Holy Innocents and St Thomas Becket, whose feasts we just celebrated. They were ready to die for the light of truth and of love for the sake of Christ. They were witnesses of Christ’s love for humanity in assuming our humanity. After celebrating the martyrs following Christ’s birth, we are now being challenged to be martyrs and witnesses for Christ. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a great day everyone.

December 29, 2020 at 03:58 AM

This has definitely been a hard year for all of us. But for us that believe we have great peace knowing this child is with us. Nothing that happens today is not anything that us and him can not handle together. Start today with the love of God in your hearts and peace in your souls. Have a great day.

December 29, 2020 at 08:36 AM

Stormy Sham/PeterNarine Rose I will pray for you this morning at Mass What a beautiful sunrise the Lord sent today Ken