December 28, 2020
The Holy Innocents
Lighting Our Way
God is light, and in him there is no darkness…
1 John 1:5

As one who primarily thinks in images, I see a mom and her little boy walking on a dark night. The mother holds a flashlight with a strong beam that dispels the darkness. As long as the little guy walks close by her, he not only can see where they are going, he feels safe from harm. If, however, he falls behinds or steps off the path, the darkness will swallow him. No longer will he see clearly. He will quickly become frightened.

Isn’t this the way when we are in a close relationship with God, who is light? With Jesus who is “the Light of the World”? By receiving the Eucharist and spending time in prayer and reflection, we are better able to stay close to him and not be “led into temptation.”

Gracious God, help us remember that Christ is our light. May his light “shine in our hearts, shine in the darkness,” as we go about our days.

- Judy Schueneman

1 John 1:5—2:2 • Psalm 124:2-5, 7-8 • Matthew 2:13-18

Comments

December 29, 2020 at 09:50 AM

I am reading all of these reflections a day late, sorry, but I am praying for all them. May our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ hear our prayer intentions brought before us today and that we may see his dinging light always. Ken, this is great NEWS and God has heard your prayers. AMEN to all.

December 28, 2020 at 08:49 PM

Beautiful reading makes me feel comfort as the day ends and I reflect the days journey

December 28, 2020 at 05:25 PM

Thank you, all, for your prayerful knowledge and wisdom.

December 28, 2020 at 12:09 PM

Amen. Prayers for all our LF Family.

December 28, 2020 at 11:13 AM

Ken! What God Blessed news! Hendrix is one special, and lucky child of God, to have you as his Godfather!

December 28, 2020 at 10:52 AM

Continue to thank and praise God for His favor and protection of Jessi especially this last and coming week at Gallup, NM. She is having so much fun and learning so much from her Rubicon teammates and the resident doctors, she is extending her stay and service at Gallup, NM to 1/3/21! Continue to pray that all glory and honor to our Lord Jesus Christ as He guides, protects and encourages Jessi :-) Here is what she sent to us an article written about Gallup. NM... https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/27/business/economy/the-place-hit-hardest-by-the-virus.html

Pam
December 28, 2020 at 11:10 AM

God Bless Jessi and ALL who love her!

December 28, 2020 at 09:50 AM

Revelation 21:23, "The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp!" No external light required :-) Jesus Himself is the Light!!! That's what will be when we are with God forever eternally :-) The only dark place is where Jesus is not....... So is Jesus where I am? He is omnipresent! So yes, He is where I am! BUT, sin separates me or anyone from God :-( And the Good News is Jesus died for my sins and when I accept Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross, He exchanged my sins (once and for all, past, present and future) for His righteousness!!! It truly is beyond my understanding how He covers my sins even in the future until the day I see Him face to face :-) Mark 1:15, “The time has come,” He (Jesus) said. “The kingdom of God has come near. Repent and believe the Good News!” So 2021 is the year of repentance :-) My reality is 1 John 1: 8-10, “*** If we say, “We are without sin,” we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. ***If we acknowledge our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from every wrongdoing. ***If we say, “We have not sinned,” we make Him a liar, and His Word is not in us.” My saving Grace is 1 John 2:1b-3, “If anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous one. He is expiation for our sins, and not for our sins only but for those of the whole world. The way we may be sure that we know Him is to keep His commandments.” Amen :-):-):-) Come and believe in the One, Lord Jesus Christ, Who has given up His life on the cross in exchange for ours! Believe and repent, be part of God’s family! Welcome to the first day of your eternal life, Amen!!! Praise You, Lord Jesus Christ, King of eternal and endless glory :-)

Patrick
December 28, 2020 at 11:16 AM

As you wrote Salina God is omnipresent. His light never stops shining, clearly evidenced by your wonderful story Ken. Congratulations

December 28, 2020 at 10:44 AM

Awww :-) :-) :-) Thank you for sharing! Congratulations, Grandpa and Godfather!!! Jessi has extended her service until 1/3 because they are really short handed.

December 28, 2020 at 10:16 AM

Salina I am keeping Jesse and you and yours in my prayers. Good news I got a Christmas present that was I have been praying for. Youngest daughter Heather wrote in a card "The biggest gift this year is we know it would bring you much joy and peace to have Hendrix baptized at Nativity. We will do it in the next few months. As Hendrix most religious family. Member, we would really love it if you would be his Godfather " Heather has drifted from the church now my prayers are being answered with her son bringing her back Sorry about long post but I am flying around the house As always I will pray for the living faith family and the essential workers and the souls in purgatory Ken

December 28, 2020 at 08:37 AM

Amen. Than k you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

December 28, 2020 at 08:17 AM

Walk in the light. We have choices in this life, to walk with Jesus in the light , or in darkness, sin and away from the light. Blessed are we who at times, sway over to the dark side, we have an advocate for us who has forgiven us by his death on a cross. Jesus’s forgiveness is something we cannot ever take for granted or use when we feel like it. It has been offered up to us for purpose to walk in the light and hopefully bring others to know his love and forgiveness. In today’s Gospel we hear of God’s angel coming to Joseph, so that our Lord and Savior would not perish at the hands of King Herod, but be safe in the land of Egypt. I would say that follow God has come full circle, as God rescue his people from the slavery of Egypt to become the safe place where Jesus could lay his head, with his Mother Mary and Step Father Jospeh until the time was safe to go ack home. As in the past with Abram he listen to God where God told him to go. Whee is Jesus leading us today. Do we hear his voice, if not we need to be closer to him in our lives. Dear Jesus hear our prayers for the Living faith Family today, prayers for those who have no one to pray for them today and for all of the souls in Purgatory, so that they may be reunited with their loving and forgiving Father in Heaven. Amen

December 28, 2020 at 08:16 AM

December 28, 2020 at 07:02 AM

Thank you for your reflection, the image of the mother and child walking in the dark was inspiring. I can't help but think of all those who are grieving the loss of loved ones, or suffering through a difficult situation during this time. There is a young man, Tyler, in his early 20s, that had a car accident Christmas Day. He and his family have been on a roller coaster ever since. Back and forth from hope to despair, and I pray back to hope again. With multiple surgeries and complications. The uncertainties first of if he will ever walk again is now if he will even live through this. Please Lord bless this family and all those who suffer, with the strength to hold onto the light of Jesus no matter what this world throws at them. Also guide us to those who are unable to hold your light on their own. Help us to be like the mother with the flash light, so you can work through us to bring them back to you.

Bill L
December 28, 2020 at 05:41 PM

Elise, I will add Tyler to my rosary tonight as well as Jessie. And Ken, what a great Christmas present for you. Prayers also to the rest of our Living Faith family.

Pam
December 28, 2020 at 11:09 AM

Praying for Tyler and his family. Jesus Mercy. Mary Pray.

December 28, 2020 at 08:44 AM

Elise I will pray for Tyler and his family at Mass this morning Living faith family I will pray for you guys also. Great news when I return home Ken

Annette