December 25, 2020
The Nativity of the Lord (Christmas)
The Light of the World
Upon those who dwelt in the land of gloom
a light has shone.
Isaiah 9:1

Who among us has not felt a bit of gloom on certain Christmas days? Family conflicts, personal illness, loneliness due to the absence of loved ones, annoying interruptions of our plans, the constant messes around the world and other distressful issues can move in to erode our enjoyment. When gloom spreads over us, let us recall that we carry the Eternal Light within us. No matter how gray our mood might be, this is a day to sink into faith, a strong faith, one filled with gratitude. The Holy One loved the world so much that the beloved Son was birthed to tell us of this love. Today we can choose to share that gift of loving presence with our generous kindness, a helping hand, a ready smile, a listening ear, a forgiving heart. No matter how gloomy we might be feeling, let the Light shine through us today.

- Sr. Joyce Rupp

Comments

December 25, 2020 at 10:02 PM

December 25, 2020 at 03:42 PM

Wishing everyone here in the comments section and the staff of Living Faith a Blessed Christmas. Thank you for giving us a beautiful vehicle to expressed our prayers and devotions. We did the evening Christmas Mass on TV. They made it a very special environment and it made us feel like we were there with them.

December 25, 2020 at 02:14 PM

Merry Christmas, everyone :-) The joy I feel waking up to the 6 inches of snow outside is beyond me :-):-):-) ***Luke 2:14, "Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom His favor rests."*******The year of God's favor - 2020 - and I shall not forget it!!!******* I love all the first readings today (Vigil Isaiah 62:1-5, Night Isaiah 9:1-6, Dawn Isaiah 62:11-12 and Day Isaiah 52:7-10) in Isaiah, the Gospel of the Old Testament :-) ***Picking out my favorites verses in the Message version: 1) Isaiah 62:4, "No more will anyone call you Rejected, and your country will no more be called Ruined. You’ll be called Hephzibah (My Delight), and your land Beulah (Married), because God delights in you and your land will be like a wedding celebration." 2) Isaiah 9:6-7a, "For a Child has been born—for us! The gift of a Son—for us! He’ll take over the running of the world. His names will be: Amazing Counselor, Strong God, Eternal Father, Prince of Wholeness. His ruling authority will grow, and there’ll be no limits to the wholeness He brings." 3) Isaiah 62, 11b-12, "‘Look! Your Savior comes, ready to do what He said he’d do, prepared to complete what He promised.’” Zion will be called new names: Holy People, God-Redeemed, Sought-Out, City-Not-Forsaken." 4) Isaiah 52:9b-10 "“God has comforted His people! He’s redeemed Jerusalem!” God has rolled up His sleeves. All the nations can see His holy, muscled arm. Everyone, from one end of the earth to the other, sees Him at work, doing His Salvation work." *******Isaiah lived during a time of the kings of Judah in a span of over 50 years. But he didn't began his prophetic career until the death of king Uzziah died in Isaiah 6:1. Isaiah’s prophetic career was enmeshed in the political and cultural turmoil of the times...probably no different than it is today! These verses gives me WARNINGS and HOPE for 2021 as it did in Isaiah's times. *******Listen very carefully now in Isaiah 7:3a, 4a, 7, 10-14, "Then the Lord said to Isaiah...Say to him (king Ahaz), ‘Be careful, keep calm and don’t be afraid. Do not lose heart because of these two smoldering stubs of firewood... Yet this is what the Sovereign Lord says: “‘It will not take place, it will not happen...Again the Lord spoke to Ahaz, “Ask the Lord your God for a sign, whether in the deepest depths or in the highest heights.” But Ahaz said, “I will not ask; I will not put the Lord to the test.” Then Isaiah said, “Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of humans? Will you try the patience of my God also? Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a Son, and will call Him Immanuel (God with us)."*******WARNINGS, "Be careful, keep calm and don’t be afraid!" Why? "It will not take place, it will not happen!" (How many things you worried about during the last month actually happen?) HOPE, "Therefore the Lord Himself will give (GAVE becasue it already happened) you a sign: The virgin will conceive (conceived by the Holy Spirit) and give (gave) birth to a Son, and will call Him Immanuel (God with us :-)!" *I just finished shovelling the driveway, spreading salt and coming back inside to finish my devotion :-) Merry Christmas! HoHoHo! (Ho is my maiden name :-) 2021 is the year of Repentance as we say goodbye to 2020, the year of God's favor :-):-):-)

December 25, 2020 at 12:25 PM

Sister thank you an bless you . You are all in me prayers . As I read the needs our prayers will be answered for he is with us an I can see the light in each of you . Wish all the LFF a very blessed Christmas an may the spirit of Christmas be with you all an reside in you an come upon those you love now an always . An help any an all those in need .

December 25, 2020 at 12:17 PM

Thank you for a beautiful devotional Sr. Joyce. Happy Christmas to all.

December 25, 2020 at 11:35 AM

Amen. Merry Christmas, All! :)

December 25, 2020 at 10:41 AM

Merry Christmas Living Faith Family! May the birth of our Lord bless the world with peace and joy for all of us. Praying for all the prayer requests. Most Sacred Heart I place my trust in you.

December 25, 2020 at 10:19 AM

Amen! Thank you for this beautiful message, Sr Joyce!

December 25, 2020 at 08:45 AM

“Mary” Christmas Dearhearts! After all these years, I continue to wake up Christmas morning excited and hope filled! Although, I will say this year is different but only because I truly embraced Advent! What a precious gift of wonder and awe! I am truly filled with His Love! It’s cold here this morning in the Texas Hill Country, much like I imagine Bethlehem was. Yes! It really is that cold here!! 37 Fahrenheit, crisp and clear! My prayer this glorious day is for all of our Living Faith Family and those who they love and care for, cry for, feel His Peace, Love and Hope. Mary didn’t know, but she believed, and said Yes! Thank the Heavens! God Bless Us All, And All Who We Love!

December 25, 2020 at 08:26 AM

Merry Christmas to all my Living Faith Family! Sham Peter very well said! Let us all remember to be present on this glorious day! Rose, I am keeping your entire family your Uncle, your Mother, and your Grandma in prayer . May God surround them all and bring them peace and healing but most importantly, may they feel Jesus's presence in their life today. Selena, thank you so much yesterday for the YouTube video link you shared. I had difficulty sleeping last night and tossed and turned from 1 AM to 4 AM. So I went back and read the comments from yesterday and thank you to all those who sent me words of comfort on the passing of my Father. It was then that I found your video link and listened to it several times. Joy sprang into my heart and it was such a comfort to me. I will pass it on to everyone today so they can remember the true reason for the season. Happy birthday Jesus!

December 25, 2020 at 08:15 AM

Merry Christmas everyone. We have heard on night Jesus Christ, son of God, God himself became man. God is so great that he came into this world small and poor. The babe Jesus has come to save the world, so that all who believed in him shall not perish. We are truly blessed that God has given us this wonderful opportunity to reset, and begin a new. I truly pray that everyone, although this Christmas for many will be different because of the pandemic, know that you are in our hearts in spirit. Dear Jesus hear our prayers for this faithful family you have brought together today and for all of the people who do not have anyone to pray for them. Also, please hear my prayers for the souls of Purgatory that they be reunited in Heaven with the Father. In your name we pray. Amen

Pam
December 25, 2020 at 08:53 AM

Annette, My prayer is that His Peace will embrace your broken heart. God has rested your Dad’s soul.

December 25, 2020 at 08:11 AM

Amen! Merry Christmas to all. Infant Jesus pray for us.

December 25, 2020 at 07:49 AM

Merry christmas to living faith family may God bless us all .

December 25, 2020 at 07:38 AM

Merry Christmas living Faith family. Rose, I will say some extra prayers for you and your family. Special thoughts and prayers for the Living Faith family on this special Christmas Day. May we all be blessed.

December 25, 2020 at 06:27 AM

Merry Christmas living Faith family. Happy birthday Jesus. Even on Christmas bad things can happen. At 5:15 this morning my mom called because my uncle has been rushed to the ER by ambulance with a low oxygen level and not being able to breathe. People in his apartment complex have tested positive for covid-19. They say possible pneumonia but he still to get tested for covid. If he has covid and my mother catches it it will be the end of her. Praying there's no covid. She is very freaking out because in April or March we lost my aunt his wife and the last thing that my mom saw of her well she wasn't able to breathe and she was taken by ambulance to the same hospital. On a good note Grandma's doing well. They all say thank you for the prayers. I have been asked to tell my prayer team that is what my mom calls you.

Bill L
December 25, 2020 at 03:34 PM

Dear Rose, I will continue my rosary for you and your family this week, also.

December 25, 2020 at 10:54 AM

Rose know that you and your family are in my prayers this morning. I am going to pray the scriptural rosary and with each decade I will ask the Lord to bring comfort and peace to living faith family and for those who need some one to pray for them. Beautiful white Christmas trees and bushes are covered. Salina Tim Sham/peter great comments I am always astonished by the insight that you guys Express. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Ken

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
December 25, 2020 at 05:55 AM

Merry Christmas everyone. Thanks Sr. Joyce for today's devotion . It is the small things in life that make us truly happy. Where is God to be found? He is found in the ordinariness of life. He is found most of all in human love and compassion. God is found when we are in touch with our heart, which is created for love, understanding and fellowship. God is found in authentic human friendships when there is true exchange of love and sharing of life. The greatest gift at Christmas is not the giving of things but the giving of ourselves, not presents but our presence. It is the joy of intimacy with our loved ones and friends. Living for others and touching their hearts by our love, care, concern and friendship is where the glory of God is revealed through us and in those whom we serve. Prayer for all living faith family members . Have a great day everyone.

December 25, 2020 at 04:53 AM

Amen! Merry Christmas Living Faith Family! A Savior is born :)

david
December 26, 2020 at 02:21 AM

Merry Christmas to all and a blessed day.

B.T.
December 25, 2020 at 06:59 AM

Amen. Merry Christmas to all the Living Faith Family.