December 23, 2020
St. John of Kanty
No Wrapping Required
Lift up your heads and see.
Luke 21:28 (responsorial)

‘Tis the season to be jolly—at least, that’s how the song goes. For those who are facing difficulties or grieving the loss of a loved one, the Christmas season can cause them to be especially forlorn. It’s easy for us to get caught up in last-minute errands and expectations. But when you take a break from that to-do list, ask yourself this question: Who is finding this season too much to bear? It’s an inconvenient question at an inconvenient time. But suffering and grief take no holiday.

Are you willing to be a light in their darkness? A phone call, a willingness to listen, a kind gesture to those who are suffering—all can be precious gifts that require no wrapping paper. As we prepare to celebrate our Savior’s birth, let us do so by bringing his gifts of love and hope to those most in need of them.

Take the time to identify people you know who might be in need. It could be someone who is in need financially, socially or spiritually. How can you reach out to them?

- Gail Goleas

Malachi 3:1-4, 23-24 • Psalm 25:4-5, 8-10, 14 • Luke 1:57-66

Comments

December 23, 2020 at 11:39 AM

Thank you Gail, when I read your piece I immediately thought of a family in our Parish who are grieving a recent death. I thought to myself I must contact them, that didn't settle with me. I then realised I should contact them now and not wait. So I did and the result was positive for them and for me. In the giving we receive.

December 23, 2020 at 10:15 AM

Amen! Thank you for this beautiful message!

December 23, 2020 at 09:57 AM

Yes, Gail! "As we prepare to celebrate our Savior’s birth, let us do so by bringing His gifts of love and hope to those most in need of them." You know what the airline tells you what to do when there is an emergency, "Put on your own mask first!" So it is true with God's gifts of love and hope...receive God's love and hope yourself so you can pour them out to others, even those...actually especially those who have hurt you and abandoned you! With the indwelling Holy Spirit, all things are possible :-) *** I find it funny that after 9 months, Zechariah can now speak when he confirmed John's name. The first thing he did was to bless and praise God! I suppose he now believed with God all things are possible :-) When was the last time I spoke in blessings to God and praises of God because I believed? *** I am now curious about the book of Luke because all 4 Gospels are a little different with the same Good News. Luke 1:1-4, "Many people have set out to write accounts about the events that have been fulfilled among us. They used the eyewitness reports circulating among us from the early disciples. Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write an accurate account for you, most honorable Theophilus, so you can be certain of the truth of everything you were taught." Luke was a physician travelling with Paul during Paul's mission trips. So his description of events are orderly and to the point like a medical report and diagnosis! Right from the start, he tells us why he wrote it. Replace "most honorable Theophilus" with your own name, "Many people have set out to write accounts about the events that have been fulfilled among us. They used the eyewitness reports circulating among us from the early disciples. Having carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I also have decided to write an accurate account for you, Salina, so you can be certain of the truth of everything you were taught!" There you have it, "SO YOU CAN BE CERTAIN OF THE TRUTH OF EVERYTHING YOU WERE TAUGHT!" *** "Good and upright is the LORD; thus He shows sinners the way. He guides the humble to justice, He teaches the humble His way!" P(salm 25:8-9) So if I am a sinner and recognize it in me so I humble myself before the Lord, I am all set because God shows me, guides me and teaches me in all things :-):-):-) Amen!!!

December 23, 2020 at 10:04 AM

Humble Yourself https://youtu.be/VmYRszsjvdk

December 23, 2020 at 09:32 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all , for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

December 23, 2020 at 08:57 AM

Yes Gail, those gifts that need no wrapping also don't cost anything. May we all take the time to stop a moment and offer those special gifts. My thoughts and prayers are with those meeting today on Zoom.

December 23, 2020 at 08:54 AM

Help be the light to others this Christmas Season and beyond. All of us need each other gather in Christ. The light of Christ will help us from stumbling, but if we do stumble, look up to the hand of God reaching down to pull us back up. Ask ourselves today, how can we be the beacon of light for others to see and follow out of darkness that has made its way into their life. You are never alone this day, find us in pray, write us a note, whatever will help you take your mind off of being alone this Christmas. This family, your Living Faith Family will always be there to listen, comfort, offer true forgiveness, to help you share in his light, to always offer much joy and support, every day, no matter. Dear Jesus we pray for those who need us now, for those who do not have anyone to pray for them, for all of the souls in Purgatory. Praying for all of you, Living Faith Family. Thank you for always being there for me. Amen

Kevyn Cooper
December 23, 2020 at 09:06 AM

Amen! Beautifully said.

December 23, 2020 at 08:21 AM

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
December 23, 2020 at 04:22 AM

Thanks Gail for today's devotion. Each one of us is placed in a certain family, community and office . We are to reveal to them their place, their identity and mission in life. We are called to reveal Jesus to them through our words, actions and life. Parents have the responsibility of mentoring and steering their children according to the plans that God has for them. In this way, their lives will always be fruitful because they will know their identity, purpose and role in life. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a great day everyone.

December 23, 2020 at 08:23 AM

Sham/PeterNarine Well said I totally agree with you find someone who needs a kind word a special favor or a gift of food Praying for the living faith family and those who have no one to pray for them. Ken