December 22, 2020
Late Advent Weekday
Marvels and Praise
…the Almighty has done great things for me…
Luke 1:49

Today, we pray over Mary’s proclamation of praise as she reflects on God’s gracious and generous action in her life. She realizes that it is God who singles her out as a servant, scatters the proud, lifts up the lowly, provides for the hungry and comes to the help of the chosen people. Mary is consciously aware that the One whom she bears is the dream and promise of God’s love toward creation.

As the saying goes, hindsight is always 20/20. May we reflect upon the events of our own lives and discover that, in the midst of all our disappointments and joys, God is at work, carefully, tenderly and deliberately weaving the tapestry of salvation history. We, with the Virgin Mary, are threads of a bigger plan, for God does great things for and through us.

During this holy season and beyond, may we see God everywhere and know that the Almighty, who is present to us each and every day, is a gift of Christmas.

- Sr. Bridget Haase O.S.U.

1 Samuel 1:24-28 • 1 Samuel 2:1, 4-8 • Luke 1:46-56

Comments

December 22, 2020 at 06:05 PM

Just get this text from Jessi, "Also as a side note thought I got covid this morning when I couldn't smell my lotion... until I realized I bought an unscented one" She is funny ???? God will protect her one way or another ???????????? she may get it with no symptoms and no vaccine needed for she hates needles ????

david
December 23, 2020 at 02:40 AM

LOL; that was cute and witty

December 22, 2020 at 10:53 AM

December 22, 2020 at 10:05 AM

The Magnificat: Mary’s Song of Praise!!! I am amazed at how much this young girl, Mary, knew about God at such a young age! I came across one such young lady in all the years I am with students in Sunday schools and Bible studies. She smiles and shines like the sun because of her faith in God. You see her Dad killed himself when she was younger. She remembers him every year on his birthday and home coming on her social media. She is involved with church missions and family/group activities all thoughout high school and college. She is now in graduate school continuing her journey with her Lord and Savior :-) ***Mary is pregnant out of wedlock. She is at her cousin's away from her village and her family. Yet she praises the God she knows and she does not focus on her unexpected circumstances or what the future will hold or hurt! *** Can you hear both women, Mary and Hannah, praising the God Who does the impossible? *** This is how Hannah describes God in 2 Samuel 2:4-7, "mighty bow broken and tottering gird on strength, well-fed hire themselves out and hungry batten on spoil, barren wife bears seven sons and the mother of many languishes, puts to death and gives life, casts down and raises up, makes poor and makes rich, humbles and exalts," ***This is how Mary descibes God in Luke 1: 51b-54 , "scattered the proud, cast down the mighty, lifted up the lowly, filled the hungry, sent away the rich empty, come to the help of His servant, remembered His promise of mercy," ***This is how Salina describes God today, "give favor in the midst of lockdown and pandemic, provide in the midst of impossibility, faithful in the midst of faithlessness, good in the midst of evil, hope in the midst of hopelessness, merciful in the midst of divisiveness, patient in the midst of immediate gratification culture," *******How will you describe God of year 2020? * I agree with Mary and Hannah, "My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord; my spirit rejoices in God my savior!... the Almighty has done great things for me, and holy is His Name!...My heart exults in the LORD, my horn is exalted in my God." Amen! Both women gave back to God what was given to them, their sons!!! I will pour out to others what You have given me: Favor, Provision, Faithfulness, Goodness, Hope, Mercy and Patience! Wait, that sounds like the fruit of the Holy Spirit :-) Galatians 5:22-23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Nothing can come against the fruit of the Holy Spirit :-):-):-)

December 22, 2020 at 08:26 AM

Sr. Bridget, thank you for your thoughtful and meaningful reflection this morning. All of your descriptions helps us paint a cleaner picture of what is to come in Jesus and Mary’s life. It also clearly lets us know that there is a bigger plan for each of our lives. Thank you. Sham Peter, I could have not said it any better. I have always signed on that we are only stewards of all of God’s graces and gifts given to us and we are to use these effectively for others. We need to use all of our God given abilities and be the good and loyal servant, using our talents for the goo of others. Yes, we have our families to support, but we also have a mission to help and love others. We also receive much joy by helping and loving others. As Jesus states the ones which much is given, much is expected. I think all of us here sign up for the as we continue to walk hand in hand with Jesus. Today, there are many more in our midst who need help. Let us this season and beyond, go out and search for the ones who need our help. Dear Jesus please hear our prayers to want to serve you. Please help me find those in need and where my talents can be best served for your church here on earth. Dear Jesus, hear our prayers for our Living Faith Family, prayers for those who have no one to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory we pray that today they would be reunited to your Heavenly Kingdom. Amen

December 22, 2020 at 08:43 AM

Tim and Sham/peter I totally agree with both of you we need to share our gifts with those who need them. At Mass this morning I will pray for the living faith family and the essential workers and their families. Please pray for my son Brian as he has a medical procedure today. Ken

December 22, 2020 at 08:24 AM

December 22, 2020 at 08:15 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
December 22, 2020 at 04:49 AM

Thanks Sr. for today's devotion. It is a great thing to receive blessings from god, whether spiritual, personal or material gifts. The truth is that when god blesses us, he wants us to share our blessings with others. God does not give us talents, money and gifts just for ourselves and our own enjoyment. Everyone is god’s child and there is no greater joy we can give to our Heavenly Father than to make use of what he has given to us for the good of his other children who are not blessed with as much gifts as we have. It is our duty indeed to share and bless others with what the Lord has given to us because all gifts are given to us on trust. God wants to make use of us for his greater glory and for the service of His people. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a great day everyone.