December 19, 2020
Late Advent Weekday
Stirred
The woman bore a son and named him Samson. The boy grew up and the Lord blessed him; the Spirit of the Lord stirred him.
Judges 13:24

Some versions of the Bible state that the Spirit of the Lord “blessed” Samson. But here, we are given the beautiful image of being “stirred,” a reminder that we are being constantly touched and moved by the hand of God. Stirred is what we feel deep in our bones when we hear what seems like an impossibly beautiful piece of music or see an indescribable sunset. Stirred is the inner knowledge that we are never alone in our times of darkness and despair. Stirred is the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives, nudging us out of complacency and into action. Stirred is the difference between living and living for God.

Stir me up, Lord.

- Steve Givens

Judges 13:2-7, 24-25a • Psalm 71:3-6, 16-17 • Luke 1:5-25

Comments

December 19, 2020 at 06:17 PM

Reading 1 JGS 13: 24-25A "The woman bore a son and named him Samson. The boy grew up and the LORD blessed him; the Spirit of the LORD stirred him." Steve, thank you for your knowledge and each of the Living Faith Family for all your comments.

Steve Givens
December 19, 2020 at 07:12 PM

Thanks, David. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

December 19, 2020 at 04:00 PM

Steve, thank you for your devotion. Also thank you for reminding us that we are constantly being touched and moved by the hand of God. I agree with what you wrote: "Stirred is the inner knowledge that we are never alone in our times of darkness and despair. Stirred is the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives, nudging us out of complacency and into action." Sometimes God stirs us by putting and arranging for certain people to aid in fulfilling the mission of his Son (for example, the birth of John the Baptist from a barren mother and the sinlessness of Jesus’ mother, Mary) **How has God stirred you and who has has he used to stir you, Who has God put in your life to help you fulfill the mission he has entrusted to you? * God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

Steve Givens
December 19, 2020 at 05:49 PM

Thanks, Tillie. Well said and Merry Christmas!

December 19, 2020 at 03:45 PM

Thanks, Steve, for your inspiring devotion today. As an amateur astronomer I am constantly being 'stirred' by the wonders of the night sky that God has provided me. This coming Monday will be what they are calling the Christmas Star. The planets Jupiter and Saturn will be so close as to appear as one shining star. Perhaps a reminder of the first Christmas that we so need now in these uncertain times. Although they will be setting in the west about an hour after sunset we can look to this Christmas season as renewal of our Faith and a positive outlook on the coming new year. Continued prayers to the Living Faith family. Maranatha, Come Lord Jesus!

Steve Givens
December 19, 2020 at 05:50 PM

I read about that, Bill. I'm going to try and look for it...

December 19, 2020 at 02:32 PM

December 19, 2020 at 12:59 PM

Hello to all my Living Faith friends. Steve Givens here. I just posted a new Christmas story and song on my blog and wanted to share it with you. Thanks for reading and sharing this year. It means a lot... http://givenscreative.com/2020/12/a-very-short-story-the-impossible-night/

December 19, 2020 at 02:24 PM

Absolutely beautiful and telling, Steve! Thank you for sharing your gifts :-)

December 19, 2020 at 11:32 AM

Prayer requests: Ephesians 3:20, “Now all glory to God, Who is able, through His mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think!” ***Praying for God’s favor and protection physically, mentally and spiritually for Katie, Josh and Jessi! ***Katie - driving to MA with boyfriend Josh to spend Christmas with his family this evening (12/18) on I-95 stopping at Harve de Grace (meaning harbor of Grace and Mercy) for tonight before arriving at their destination tomorrow (12/19). ***Jessi - flying out to Gallup, NM Sunday morning, 12/20, joining with Team Rubicon (https://teamrubiconusa.org/) to serve the Navajo Nation (https://youtu.be/W1d6I2sat1g ) as an EMT returning to Raleigh NC on Tuesday, 12/29. Your prayers are very much appreciated :two_hearts::pray:

December 19, 2020 at 11:30 AM

Yes, Steve! Love the image of being stirred...by the Holy Spirit :-) ***Judges 13:25a, "the Spirit of the LORD stirred him (Samson)!" ***Luke 1:15b, "He (John the Baptist) will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from his mother’s womb! ***John 14:26, "But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My Name (Jesus), will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you!" Am I stirred by the Holy Spirit in today's Scripture? Absolutely, the Holy Spirit stirs my attention, focus and responses to God!!! He is the God of impossibilities :-) Everyday I realize more and more about Who God is! Everyday He turns my head knowledge to my heart's desires! Everyday I learn to surrender myself to the One and only! Here's what else I learn: Angel of the Lord is terrifying! ***Judges 13:6a, "A man of God came to me; he had the appearance of an angel of God, terrible indeed." ***Luke 1:11-12, "the angel of the Lord appeared to him, standing at the right of the altar of incense. Zechariah was troubled by what he saw, and fear came upon him." ***"Do not fear" seems to be the standard greeting from the angels! Here's Who are to me, Lord Jesus.......my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety, my rock, my fortress, my rescuer, my hope, my trust, my Almighty, my justice.......My mouth shall be filled with Your praise, and I will sing Your glory! Amen :-)

Barbara
December 20, 2020 at 02:15 AM

My prayers are with Katie and Jessi for safe trips and safe return home. Thank you to all for your comments on today's readings.

December 19, 2020 at 10:36 AM

A very reflective devotion, Steve! I pray that we all may be stirred by the Lord's love and peace during this Advent season. Continued prayers for all.

Steve Givens
December 19, 2020 at 10:39 AM

Thanks, Sandy. 2021 sounds like a perfect year to get stirred up again.

December 19, 2020 at 10:24 AM

December 19, 2020 at 09:51 AM

It is so amazing when our Old Testament reading are fulfilled by our NEW Testament readings. Today we see the same story, “Nothing Is Impossible For God”. What if we all could put this type of faith into motion, it would be huge for our lives and the world. Trust in God, that all is possible. This is what our God wants from us. There is so much divide, sorrow, and need in our world. Some say it someone else’s problem, or I am only little me, how can I help. If everyone believed that every situation is possible with God, our lives and our world would be a much better place. This does not mean, if I pray for something God will grant my prayers, just the opposite. With our God given abilities and graces from God, all things are in fact possible. With God in your life, every day, Put God First, all things are possible. Helping the poor, hungry, ones that need shelter, clothing and much more. These people, God’s children all need our help this Christmas Season. Because of our current pandemic, there are more need than ever in our communities. Please hear God’s call for our lives. Hear his where he wants our efforts to be. If you are walking down the wrong path and do not hear him, stop, reflect and ask for his forgiveness and turn away from our sinful habits. We all have them, no one is without sin. We all just need to do a little better job, staying on the path he has for our lives. May God come into your hearts today, fill you with mercy, love, joy. Prayers for all of our Living Faith Families, for the souls in Purgatory and for all of the ones who do not have anyone to pray for them. Jesus our Lord and Savior, hear our prayer. Amen

Steve Givens
December 19, 2020 at 10:42 AM

Agree with you, Tim, about the OT readings. It seems I usually lean more toward writing about the NT readings, but these words about "stirring" just truck a chord in me. The spirit stirring, as so often happens when I need an idea for LF...

December 19, 2020 at 09:40 AM

Happy December 19th to all my Living Faith friends and family. I hope 2021 will be a year of allowing yourself to "be stirred up" by the Spirit. Then just stand back and see what happens...

December 19, 2020 at 09:11 AM

In Bethseda an angel would periodically come down to the pool and stir up the waters. Great healing would then take place. Cooks often recommend a good stirring to mix and blend and bring out all the flavour. Perhaps we too have to be stirred into action to use the gifts we have been given to full advantage.

Tim
December 19, 2020 at 09:53 AM

Patrick thank you for these inspiring words and thoughts today. I hope you have a terrific day. Amen

December 19, 2020 at 08:45 AM

We are truly blessed that God gave us John the Baptist and Samson. May we humbly say thank you for gifts from God not only this last Advent week but every day of the year. Prayers for Kathy and all LFF community and the conversion of sinners and all souls in purgatory. Amen