December 18, 2020
Late Advent Weekday
Lighting the Way
Behold, the virgin shall be with child and bear a son,
and they shall name him Emmanuel,
which means “God is with us.”
Matthew 1:23

What does it mean that God is with us in these dark times? We believe that Jesus Christ is our light, but when shadows engulf us, that light may seem little more than a flicker. As the storm rages on, the waves can feel as high and unscalable as walls. Christ’s beacon may seem faint and far away. Physicists tell us, though, that light isn’t merely an object, it is a wave. It is a wave that crosses the distance, like sound, but vastly faster. It moves toward us and outward in all directions. The Lord reaches out to us in much the same way. As we fix our gaze on his light, giving us direction as we move through the darkness. He is also already with us, right here, right now. He has crossed the distance to reach us, to be with us and to lead us home.

Lord of Light, you are with me in the darkness. Help me to move ever closer to you!

- Karla Manternach

Jeremiah 23:5-8 • Psalm 72:1-2, 12-13, 18-19 • Matthew 1:18-25

Comments

December 18, 2020 at 04:12 PM

Karla, thank you for your devotion, it spoke to me. * Jesus Christ is our light, especially during these dark times of chaos and spiritual crisis. When it feels that His light may seem a little more than a flicker, just remember that Jesus is here with us every step of the way, comforting us, showing us His path, guiding us to His light. By persevering and continuing to follow Him, His light will become ever so bright and He will rescue us with His almighty power! God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

December 18, 2020 at 03:37 PM

Wow. This says it all really. God's light radiates through us. Thank you.

December 18, 2020 at 01:54 PM

Prayers for Kathy may her test results show no leukemia and prayers for all LFF family. God Bless everyone today. Have a day full of light!

December 18, 2020 at 09:24 AM

Light......when I turn on the light in a dark room, the darkness goes away and it cannot hide except when something is blocking it!!! So it is with Jesus :-) :-) :-) When Jesus is with me, darkness will not and cannot remain! Unless...I block the Light :-( ***John 8:12, "Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow Me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the Light that leads to life.” ***John 1:5, "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it." ***1 John 2:9-10, "Anyone who claims to be in the Light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness. Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the Light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble." *******Once again, prophecy in Jeremiah points to the smallest tribe of Israel, Judah, to be where king David and God the Son Jesus would show up to reign!!! *******And Joseph, he was just as obedient as Mary when the angel showed up and proclaimed the mystery. Joseph didn't even ask any question like, "How can it be?" What was he thinking? I admire the faith in God and the quiet strength Joseph has displayed!!! He had no relations with Mary until after the birth of Jesus!!! Not much was mentioned about Joseph in Scripture, the last we heard about Joseph was when Jesus was 12 years old. (How he became in charge of selling houses is beyond my imagination!) "Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel (and the world), Who alone does wondrous deeds. And blessed forever be His glorious Name (Jesus); may the whole earth be filled with His glory! Amen and Amen!" (Psalm 72:18-19)

December 18, 2020 at 09:15 AM

Happy Friday to all of you here, may your day be filled with much happiness and joy, as we are in the last turn of Advent before we celebrate his coming on Christmas Day. Are we ready, are we prepared, let us put away the "stuff" that is in our way to coming to him. Let us Put Him First. Let us share his light with others who seek him and who do not know the way. With Joseph's Yes as Mary's firm Yes, we. are so blessed that we too now can take part in our life the Risen Lord Jesus Christ. Joseph's examples for us are that he said Yes to God, he never had to think about it. He rose each day for Mary and Jesus, so that he could be with them, protect them and help teach and show Jesus the true meaning of a Holy Family. He took Jesus and Mary everywhere, in all circumstances. St. Joseph lived in the moment, with much courage and optimism. This morning as St. Jospeh lives in us men today, we gathered in pray the rosary at 6:30AM as part of the international group of men (TMIY) That Man Is You, 350 of us this morning on our ZOOM call to pray the rosary. We do this every Friday for any man who is interested, please just google TMIY and contact them for the link. St. Joseph as our example , we too want to be that beacon of light to our families and others in our daily lives, so they too may feel the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ in their lives. As Mother Teresa lived her life, "Look For The Joy". Prayers for all those who have no one to pray for them, for all of our Living Faith Family and for all of the souls in Purgatory that they may be reunited today with their Heavenly Father in Paradise. We Pray, Amen

December 18, 2020 at 09:12 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

December 18, 2020 at 08:43 AM

Good morning! I have received an email from Montecier Pierre requesting to join us at Pre-Christmas Zoom Chat. I sent the information in 3 different emails, all continue to fail to deliver returning with 'Temperory Failure.' So if this is you, please send me your name and email address again! Otherwise, I assume this is a fake email address?

December 18, 2020 at 08:13 AM

December 18, 2020 at 07:25 AM

Thank you! I needed this today as today I should get the results of my test to see if I have leukemia. Knowing He is the light and He is always with us.

david
December 18, 2020 at 07:22 PM

Why must we suffer? Only God knows. Kathy you have the right positive attitude it is then that God can do his part in our life. I prayed for you and your family may our Lord and Creator bless your day today.

Bill L
December 18, 2020 at 05:09 PM

Tonight's prayers are with you, Kathy.

MA
December 18, 2020 at 05:07 PM

Thoughts and prayers for you and for your love ones as you wait for the results. Please take care.

Tillie
December 18, 2020 at 04:17 PM

Kathy, I'll be praying that your test results will come out negative for leukemia. With God everything is possible, He is our light.

CC
December 18, 2020 at 09:40 AM

Prayers Kathy. God bless you with his light.

December 18, 2020 at 09:29 AM

Praying for you, Kathy! When Jesus shows up, the darkness goes away and has no place to hide :-)

Tim
December 18, 2020 at 08:58 AM

Kathy you are in our prayers. Amen

December 18, 2020 at 08:24 AM

Kathy I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers this morning at Mass. Living faith family please pray for the souls in purgatory and the health care workers and all essential workers. Pam Zachary Carrin Naomi Joseph Brenda Vicky Judy Crystal you are also being prayed for Ken

Annette
December 18, 2020 at 08:04 AM

Praying for you, and for peace and comfort as you await your news. May God surround you.

Sandi
December 18, 2020 at 08:02 AM

“Don’t let that light go out at the end of the tunnel” These words will always be before me in every situation I go through in life. Those words were advise I heard when my husband was diagnosed with leukemia many years ago. Jesus is our light, if he brings you to it He will see you through it. Keep glowing Jesus without you we are nothing, with nothing to hope for. God bless

December 18, 2020 at 05:05 AM

Karla - good reflection . Thank you . God is our light for our daily journeys . we only have to be open to his light, see his light, an be his light to those around us . Have a great day LFF Be the light !

EM
December 18, 2020 at 07:42 AM

Amen! Be open to his light and be his light! Prayers for Kathy and all.