December 17, 2020
Late Advent Weekday
He Is One of Us
Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary. Of her was born Jesus who is called the Christ.
Matthew 1:16

The genealogy of Jesus is a fascinating list of names. Some are familiar—Isaac, Jacob, David. We name our little boys after them. But many names are obscure—Abijah, Uzziah, Zerubbabel. I suspect few little boys are given those names. What’s more, if we study Jesus’ genealogy, we find a few skeletons in the closet. Jacob was a conniver, Tamar seduced her father-in-law, Rahab was a prostitute, David and Bathsheba were adulterers. And Ahaz was a very wicked king.

When Jesus became a human being, he not only took on our human flesh, he became a full-fledged member of our very imperfect human family. Jesus, like his mother Mary and his stepfather Joseph, lived in the real world. He experienced what we experience—sorrow and joy, pain and pleasure, everything except sin. The Incarnation truly means: He is one of us.

Jesus, may my Advent journey give me a greater appreciation of your oneness with me and of our imperfect human family.

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

Genesis 49:2, 8-10 • Psalm 72:1-4, 7-8, 17 • Matthew 1:1-17

Comments

December 17, 2020 at 02:22 PM

The Birth Of Jesus is an historic event, listed in today's Gospel it proves this fact . God came to this world not as grown man, but as an innocent baby, who would grow into something more special than we could ever have dreamed of for our salvation. Let us now take moment and reflect on this perfect plan of God for the gift and grace to have an opportunity for salvation, through his only son, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Put God First. Ask for his forgiveness and go forth shining his light every where we go. To day in the city of David a Savior is born. Prayers for our Living Faith Family, all of the ones who do not have anyone to pray for them and for all of the souls in Purgatory. Amen

Bill L
December 17, 2020 at 03:48 PM

It is always fascinating to see so many generations accounted for in Jesus' lineage. My son did the ancestry thing and only got to 4-5 generations. They must have kept very accurate records then. Sending prayers to Father Michael and to all in need. ======= We're getting closer! Are you ready? Maranatha! Come Lord Jesus!

December 17, 2020 at 11:20 AM

The line up of family before Jesus was full of sinners. Jesus came to us in flesh to show us how to live in order to get into His kingdom. I pray everyday to live and love like Jesus. A beautiful and blessed day and continued prayers for everyone.

December 17, 2020 at 11:16 AM

Thank all of you for your prayers. The doctor thinks it is a minor problem and ordered medication. Your continued prayers would be appreciated. I will continue to pray for all of you! God bless!

December 17, 2020 at 10:56 AM

I humbly ask for your prayers for our dear friend and priest in Russia, Father Michael. He had an 8 hour surgery several weeks ago in Moscow to repair 2 major hernias. It was deemed successful by a Russian and French surgeon. He is now recovering under the care of the Sisters of Mother Theresa at their “house”. There is so much more to this prayer request, but it comes down to he is having to go back and forth to the hospital, meet with more doctors because a complication has arisen along with the risk of infection. I spoke with him yesterday and the always present energy in his voice was not there. What initially was to have been an “all inclusive” cost for the surgery and after care, is now costing every time he goes to the hospital (Russian hospital fee), plus transportation (he doesn’t have a car but of course, to weak to drive anyway). Father Mike has been a gift from God for Our Lady of Hope Parish and how very blessed Max and I are to call him Friend, as well. Please pray for his steady physical recovery and a spiritual infusion of energy. Thank you. God Bless us all and all who we love. Remembering our LF Family in my daily prayers...always.

Tim
December 17, 2020 at 02:14 PM

Pam I will add Father to my prayers as well.

December 17, 2020 at 12:34 PM

Pam I will pray for father Michael and you right now Ken

December 17, 2020 at 11:14 AM

Praying for father Michael.......Jehovah Rapha, meaning “the God Who Heals!" Jehovah Jireh, meaning "The Lord Will Provide!"

December 17, 2020 at 10:17 AM

http://www.kouchs.com/2-3-01_JesusDescendants.php ***Jesus' ancestors! I see that God's plan is from the beginning in Genesis 49:10a, "The scepter shall never depart from Judah!" You will notice that both Mary and Joseph are from the tribe of Judah :-) Why does Jesus have to be human? Excellent question and I love questions! Sharing with you BSF lesson 12 in Basic Truths of the Christian Faith: Why must the Redeemer be truly human? 1.***Only a perfect human being could pay for the sins of other human beings. (Hebrews 2:17, "For this reason He had to be made like them, fully human in every way, in order that He might become a merciful and faithful High Priest in service to God, and that He might make atonement for the sins of the people.) 2.***As a man, Jesus perfectly obeyed God’s law and lived without sin. He alone was qualified to die for sinful human beings. (Romans 5:19, "For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.") 3.*** Because Jesus was tempted in every way that we are and never sinned, He understands us and can help us. (Hebrews 4:15, "For we do not have a High Priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have One who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet He did not sin.") ***Hard Questions: +A. Jesus is so different from us. How can you say He is fully human? Jesus was fully God, but also fully human. This is hard to understand but true. Like every other human, Jesus cried and was hungry. He learned to talk and walk, like any other baby. He grew from a child to a man, like any other boy. He talked to His friends. He slept. When Jesus died on the cross, He shed blood. The Roman soldiers knew a real man had died. Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, so He was also God. +B. How is it possible that Jesus never sinned if He is truly man? Though He was fully human, Jesus was not born with a sinful nature as we are. The Holy Spirit gave Jesus strength to obey God fully. As a child and as a man, Jesus was tempted to sin. He overcame every type of temptation we face with the gifts God gives every believer: God’s Word, prayer and the Holy Spirit. Jesus trusted that His Father’s will was right and good. +C. Why did Jesus enter the world as a baby instead of an adult ready to die for us? Jesus had to live the full life of a human being to fully represent all men on the cross. Jesus perfectly obeyed God’s law from the day He was born to the day He died. He loved His brothers and sisters and obeyed His parents. From the moment we trust in Jesus as our Savior, God credits Jesus’ entire perfect life to us. *******I ask you to search and find out more for yourself with the help of the Holy Spirit the answers to your question. Please do not take my sharing from BSF as the truth, go and discern the information provided or you find!!! Acts 17:11, "Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true!" Lord Jesus, the mountains shall yield peace for Your people, and the hills justice. You shall defend the afflicted among the people, save the children of the poor and crush the oppressor...May Your Name be blessed forever; as long as the sun Your Name shall remain. In You shall all the tribes of the earth be blessed; all the nations shall proclaim Your happiness! Amen! (Psalm 72:3-4, 17)

December 17, 2020 at 08:33 AM

Living faith family I have a question. Where is Noah in the genealogy. Didn't the flood get everyone except Noah and his family?? Ken

December 17, 2020 at 11:06 AM

Kevyn Mary
December 17, 2020 at 10:05 AM

I wondered about that too.

December 17, 2020 at 08:25 AM

December 17, 2020 at 05:40 AM

I appreciate what was written in the devotion because it made Jesus feel more humanlike but why did you refer to Joseph as his stepfather. This is the first time I've heard this reference especially from Catholic because we refer to Joseph as his earthly father or adoptive father.

Kathy M.
December 17, 2020 at 12:44 PM

As you know the Holy Spirit is the real father of Jesus as explained at the Annunciation (Luke1.35). The dictionary I checked said this about stepfather. Stepfather-the husband of one's parent when distinct from one's natural or legal father.

December 17, 2020 at 04:37 AM

It is sad but also extremely comforting to know that or Lord has felt everything we do. Also it's frustrating and makes me feel a little horrible, that He was tempted to sin but was able to resist the temptation at which I seem to fail everyday. Thank you Jesus for being so forgiving even though we don't deserve it.

Patrick
December 17, 2020 at 07:59 AM

Amen

Sharon
December 17, 2020 at 05:58 AM

I also was surprised by the use of the word stepfather. Explanation?

December 17, 2020 at 12:40 AM

(I will repost this again this Sunday morning :-) You are invited to join us!!! Here is the date, time and schedule of our Living Faith Pre-Christmas Party on Zoom! Date: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 Time: 1:00pm-1:40pm EST (please determine your local time) Schedule 1) 00-02 min Opening Prayer 2) 02-12 min Introduce Yourself: Name, location and outside air temperature 3) 12-22 min Ice Breaker: Would you rather? 4) 22-37 min Sharing: What's God doing this week in your life? Or show us your one favorite ornament and tell the story 5) Post on Chat Your Prayer Requests 6) Post on Chat Your One Question You Want to Ask God 7) 37-40 min Closing prayer in a (sing-along) song video *******If the above schedule works for you to join us on Zoom, please email me at syhsmith@comcast.net and I will forward you the Zoom details :-) ***Yes: Debbie B, Joe B, Ken B, Linda B, Lia C, Tim G, Pam H, Kathy J, Samuel S, and Sid S :-) ***May Be: Tillie B, Pat G and Beth N! ***And last but not the least No: Joanne C (an absolute yes in prayer) will be praying for us everyday, has a Win 7 laptop and no cell phone (I truly appreciate her heart and faithfulness :-) and Nancy R (schedule conflict)

Sandy
December 17, 2020 at 11:08 AM

I will be there in prayer only this time due to an appt....hoping for others to happen again!

December 17, 2020 at 10:18 AM