December 16, 2020
Advent Weekday
The Dew That We Need
Let justice descend, O heavens, like dew from above,
like gentle rain let the skies drop it down.
Isaiah 45:8

Taking a Scripture course in Jerusalem one summer, I learned why the coming of dew is such a beloved Old Testament image. In that dry climate, the dew really falls on summer nights, wet and welcome like rain, to nourish all that grows. Can you imagine thirsty leaves drinking it in, gloriously greening? Parched earth soaking it up, becoming rich and moist?

Can we become green and fertile like that? Sometimes we get bitter and hard with life; sometimes empty and arid; sometimes withered and faded. It seems hard to believe things could ever change, to believe that we could ever change. But today’s readings show that all the hurts and harms can be healed. We can be made better than we were. How? What is the dew that we need? Claim the one God; there is no other. Receive the one Christ; in him, life is renewed, and we are blessed.

You are my God, and there is no other.

- Mary Marrocco

Isaiah 45:6b-8, 18, 21c-25 • Psalm 85:9-14 • Luke 7:18b-23

Comments

December 16, 2020 at 04:18 PM

Hi Everyone! Thanks for your good humor in dealing with our new commenting process.... using the reCaptcha box ("I'm not a robot"). We appreciate your adapting to this new change! (It helps cut down on spam comments!) Glad you are all here!

December 16, 2020 at 05:01 PM

Thank you, Pat! For managing the site and the beautiful and continous updates :-) I love clicking on the right pictures!

December 16, 2020 at 04:15 PM

Mary, thank you for your beautiful devotion, it spoke to me. * It's true, sometimes life's struggles, sufferings, hurts and pains can can make us bitter and hard, and feel empty. Sometimes life makes us withered, faded and it makes us believe that we will never change, that things will never change. But today’s readings show that Jesus, our Lord and Savior is the dew that we need to bring life to us, to revive us, to heal us and make us whole and better again. Jesus is our LORD and SAVIOR, there is no other. May we continue to persevere and trust in Him. God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

December 16, 2020 at 02:54 PM

Prayers this evening for Rose and CC.

Bill L
December 16, 2020 at 02:58 PM

Looks like we have to check off and prove we're not "robots" now! Ha!

December 16, 2020 at 11:51 AM

I love the contrast between the Isaiah passage and the Gospel in Luke :-) The Isaiah passage is so powerful that if you believe in every word of it, then you will never be sad, mad, disappointed or hopeless or even doubt, right? Not exactly.......John the Baptist preached repentance when he was old enough and prepared the way for the Lord (Good News) all his life, why was he sitting in jail and God didn't do anything to rescue him? Guess what happened to John the Baptist after Jesus confirmed He was the One.......John the Baptist was beheaded!!! What was John thinking when they were dragging him out to be beheaded? What would others think of the God John pointed them to? You have to know the God of the Bible to know His heart, His plan and His will to answer that question! It isn't about turning worldly things around in my life that I want, but turning my life around in worldly things that God wants!!! So here it goes.......God in the Isaiah passage: I AM THE LORD, THERE IS NO OTHER! Four times, God said that in the Isaiah passage (45:6c, 18c, 21c, 22b)!!! You know why? Because: He is the creator of the heavens and maker of the earth; To Him every knee shall bend; by Him every tongue shall swear, Saying, “Only in the LORD are just deeds and power!" (Isaiah 45:18, 23b-24a) *** What did Jesus say to tell John the Baptist? Luke 7:22-23, "And Jesus said to them in reply, “Go and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind regain their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, the poor have the good news proclaimed to them. And blessed is the one who takes no offense at Me (Jesus).” How would you feel when Jesus made the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead raised...and He didn't rescue you while you are sitting in jail and waiting to be beheaded? I would definitely doubt without a doubt!!! From reading it again and again, I see the end result is not that blind see lame walk lepers cleansed deaf hear dead raised, BUT THE POOR HAVE THE GOOD NEWS PROCLAIMED TO THEM!!! Luke 7:23, "And blessed is the one who takes no offense at Me (Jesus)" when He doesn't rescue you from beheading, financially in need, broken relationship, desperate health problems, jobless, etc! ***I will hear what God proclaims; the LORD–for You proclaim peace to Your people. Near indeed is Your Salvation to those who fear You, glory dwelling in our land. The LORD Yourself will give Your benefits; our land shall yield its increase. Justice shall walk before You, and Salvation, along the way of Your steps. Amen! (Psalm 85:9a, 10, 13-14)

December 16, 2020 at 10:22 AM

Asking for prayers for a personal health problem. Sending prayers for all requests. God bless all of you!

Tim
December 16, 2020 at 06:05 PM

CC, I am saying a prayer for you right now. Amen

December 16, 2020 at 10:28 AM

CC I will pray for you and yours right now Ken

December 16, 2020 at 09:28 AM

Amen and thank you for this beautiful reflection. Love and prayers for LF Family members and requests.

December 16, 2020 at 09:08 AM

Alleluia! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

December 16, 2020 at 08:30 AM

“He is the one”. Jesus is the world made flesh. In today’s first reading from Isaiah, it is clear from him message that there is one and only one God. God, through Isaiah, let’s us know all of who he is and what he has done for each of us. God’s last message is for us to come to him, turn to him and be safe. If we truly believe this should be exciting and give us much confidence that God is always with us. In today’s Gospel we see there must have been a lot questions, of who Jesus was, so John wanted to set the record straight. He asked a few of his disciplines to ask Jesus, is he the one that was to come. I honestly thought that John would have known this, reveled to him by God. When we find John, entering our lives in the Gospels and in Isaiah, speaking of one to come to make straight the path. The bold message of repentance, turn away from sin and make straight the paths towards Jesus in our lives. But, wait, we hear and see John having doubt? I do not think as much that he is having doubt, than just trying to set the firm example for his followers, that in deed Jesus is the long awaited savior. Could I be wrong and John actually had doubt, yes, but I remember back to last Sunday’s message that he says that he is not worthy to untie the sandals of Jesus and that he tells the people that the one amount them, they do not recognize. John’s disciples return back to John with the good news, of Jesus actions. Blessed are we who have not seen, but believe. Come to him today, he is the one. Put God First. Praying for those who do not have anyone to pray for them. Praying for all of our Living faith Family and for all of the souls in Purgatory, that they may be reunited to their Father in the Heavenly Kingdom. Amen

Annette
December 16, 2020 at 09:17 AM

December 16, 2020 at 08:18 AM

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
December 16, 2020 at 06:12 AM

Thanks Mary for today's devotion. Prayer for Rose son. Living with light and darkness. We must accept the ambiguity of life since both light and darkness come from god, life and death, health and sickness. It is how we manage and integrate both lights and shadows in our life. We can use them for good or for evil. In times of goodness, we can praise god and thank him for all our blessings. We should not only have faith in god in times of joy and prosperity. We should continue to have faith in him even when pain and disappointments come into our lives. We must use both strength and weakness, joys and sorrows for our good and the good of others. If we are rich and in good health, then we must use our riches to bless others and to serve them. If we are sick, we should continue to believe that Jesus wants to heal us even though he might not do for us this time. In our moments of pain and darkness, god has his reason for us to go through such a period in our lives. Both light and darkness are important for us to see the perspective of life. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a great day everyone.

david
December 16, 2020 at 03:21 PM

Thank you, Sham. My son asked me the other day, what can he do to make his faith stronger? I explained to him that we must thank God in the good times and in the negative times of our life. He looked at me with eyes of that is hard. It is hard to give thanks to God when we go through times hard to deal with but as Saint Paul, tells us, when he was in prison that we must give thanks to God in all times a must to do in our relationship with God.

Tim
December 16, 2020 at 08:36 AM

Sham Peter, thank you so much for your reflection and perspective today. Your words fall on me and in my heart to comfort me this day. Thank you and God continue to bless you. Amen

December 16, 2020 at 05:20 AM

Amen! Thank you for this reflection. I needed to read this today!

Sharon P Poling
December 16, 2020 at 06:43 AM

A beautiful and personally poignant reflection. Thank you so much. It was needed today.

December 16, 2020 at 04:59 AM

That's great news Rose, we have been and will continue to pray for you and your little one.

December 16, 2020 at 04:33 AM

Amen praise God, fever has improved, let's keep praying. My sister lost her son who was eight years and eight days old. He died in February. I'm asking the living Faith family to pray for me to forgot to give me wisdom to minister to her properly cuz I still call myself a noobie. Thank you to The living Grace family for praying for me and everyone that asks for prayer. The people that write these devotions you guys are amazing.

Tillie
December 16, 2020 at 04:22 PM

Rose, I pray that your daughter's fever will continue to improve and that there will be no Covid-19 on her tests. God Bless you and your daughter.

Annette
December 16, 2020 at 09:17 AM

Prayers.

Tim
December 16, 2020 at 08:38 AM

Rose we will offer a special prayer for you and your son as well this day. May he comfort you and give you comfort. Amen

December 16, 2020 at 08:36 AM

Rose I will pray for you and your son at Mass this morning living faith family please pray for the souls in purgatory and for my friend granddaughter Salina who is having surgery this Friday. I will pray for you guys at Mass and St Michael prayer will protect the police people. Ken