November 24, 2020
St. Andrew Dung-Lac and Companions
To Rule the Earth
Before the LORD, for he comes;
for he comes to rule the earth.
Psalm 96:13

Advent approaches, and as we draw near to that season, the Scripture readings are all about the last things: death, judgment and eternity. These can be frightening to contemplate, subjects we might rather avoid. But we can’t. Here they are, presented to us in God’s Word. And, if we are honest, here they are in the ebb and flow of our lives.

The Lord comes, and perhaps we tremble. A healthy fear of the Lord is, indeed, one of the gifts of the Holy Spirit. But the lovely irony of this time—the surprise ending that is no secret at all—is that all of these portents, these mighty and overwhelming signs, lead to the Lord. For those who persist, those who put their fear and pride aside, are, indeed, led to the Lord—ruling from a manger in Bethlehem.

Lord of all, I prepare for your coming.

- Amy Welborn

Revelation 14:14-19 • Psalm 96:10-13 • Luke 21:5-11

Comments

November 24, 2020 at 08:28 PM

when I think about "death, judgment and eternity" the first thing that comes to mind is, me on my knees, coving my face and bowing my head in shame. Waiting for His voice to speak my name and hopefully ask me to look up and allow me to see Him. My faith has taught me He will forgive me (not to be presumptuous) but I pray that He will invite me forward into His kingdom. I do not see death, judgment and eternity as a depressing thing, but an exciting fulfillment of a life long awaited promise.

November 24, 2020 at 10:25 AM

Living faith family please pray for my friend Bob grandson Desmond who is having surgery gall bladder today. Ken

Tim
November 24, 2020 at 05:06 PM

Ken, I send up a prayer now.

david
November 24, 2020 at 02:31 PM

May God bless Desmond and his father; that all surgery be accomplished and turn out successful.

November 24, 2020 at 09:16 AM

Fear of the Lord, "According to Pope Francis, “The fear of the Lord, the gift of the Holy Spirit, doesn’t mean being afraid of God, since we know that God is our Father that always loves and forgives us,...[It] is no servile fear, but rather a joyful awareness of God’s grandeur and a grateful realization that only in him do our hearts find true peace.” Roman Catholicism counts this fear as one of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit. In Proverbs 15:33, the fear of the Lord is described as the "discipline" or "instruction" of wisdom." * Psalm 111:10, Proverbs 1:7, Proverbs9:10, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom!" Therefore, my wisdom comes from the gift of the Holy Spirit starting with the fear of the Lord :-) Two takeaways for me today in the Gospel: 1) Luke 21:8c, "Do not follow them!" Do not follow who? Luke 21:8a, b, "many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and ‘The time has come.’" 2) Luke 21:9b, "do not be terrified!" Why would I be terrified? Luke 21:9a, c, 10-11, "When you hear of wars and insurrections.......for such things must happen first, but it will not immediately be the end.” Then He said to them, “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be powerful earthquakes, famines, and plagues from place to place; and awesome sights and mighty signs will come from the sky." Hmmm...they really don't scare me anyway since all I want is to finish my race and see Jesus face to face :-) Any time now, Jesus, I am ready :-) So the Holy Spirit imparts me with wisdom in the fear of the Lord to 1) Discern any homilies or sermons as I study His Word daily! 2) Discern any news on TV or social media, may be turn them off and open my Bible instead :-) Love You, Jesus! Holy Spirit, come, Holy Spirit come and help me with everything to finish this race on earth :-) Amen!

November 24, 2020 at 08:29 AM

As in today’s Gospel we hear about the coming of the end times, where the temple will not have a stone that is still in place. This is true from my personal experience, walking the where Jesus walked back in February. Amy, thank you for your wise words this morning. The end is coming, why we need not be terrified. “Faith” rooted deeply in us should help us with the fear of dying, end of life. Jesus has shown us by his personal suffering at Calvary, that this was his hour to walk for us. We too will have that last hour ahead of us, and we can either spend it in glory to our Father in heaven who we will be meeting some day, or in fear that we left lot of life on the field of life. As Sandy mentions here, live today as if it were your last, this is not just a saying, but how our Savior Jesus Christ loves us so much he does not want us to live in fear, to wait for the right time. For we all know that we do not know the hour, nor the time that our Master will come to call us home. Live life with full vigor, deep prayer with Mary the mother of Jesus and with Jesus himself. These are all possible by the way of our strong faith. So now might be a time, the end of our Liturgical year of the church, but it is the beginning of NEW life in us, a new way of living as Jesus wants us to live, in complete Joy. Please pray for the souls in Purgatory who long await their Lord and Savior to call them home to their eternal paradise with Jesus, that they so deserve. Also, please Jesus hear our prayers this day offered up by our Living Faith Family, please bring all of us much comfort. Amen.

November 24, 2020 at 08:15 AM

November 24, 2020 at 08:14 AM

Sharing with you my Teaching Leader teaching summary this week to all servant leaders (50 of us to serve groups, chidren and students) at Leaders meeting Tuesday morning with a class of 250 women on Wednesday morning :-) ***Doctrine— Justification * Bridge to Doctrine: Abram believed God’s promises and God credited it to him as righteousness. * Key Points and Insertion of Doctrine into Passage: Genesis 15:6· * A sinner who places personal faith in the sacrifice of Jesus for their sins isdeclared justified before God. * God credits the righteousness of His perfect Son to the sinner who receives His gift of Salvation. * The justified sinner will not pay for their own debt of sin and guilt; Jesus has done that for them. * God credits righteousness to the believer, not on the basis of achievement, but because, in faith, we look to God Who in Christ supplies the righteousness we lack. * The believer remains secure in Christ because of justification. ***Life Application: 1) When I believe, I know my standing and fellowship with God rests on His perfections, not mine. 2) When I do not believe, I can only hope that my behavior will be good enough to please God, or at least better than most similarly flawed people.

November 24, 2020 at 07:58 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen

November 24, 2020 at 07:52 AM

This reminds me not to put off tomorrow what I should be doing today in preparing for the coming of our Lord. I pray Lord for my procrastination and the Holy Spirit to guide my way. Continued prayers and a blessed Thanksgiving week to all Living Faith.

November 24, 2020 at 08:31 AM

Sandy Right on let's not put off the things that we should be doing now. Smiling even through the mask. Kind words help people who need help. Donate your time and treasure. Praying for the souls in purgatory and the souls on earth. Living faith family I will pray for you guys at Mass this morning and when I return home Ken

Tgoetz@protorchcompany.com
November 24, 2020 at 08:15 AM

Sandy, well said, I agree 100% with your thoughts and logic this morning. Thank you. Amen

November 24, 2020 at 07:47 AM

Let us try to live every day as if it were our last day and every holy communion received as if it were our viaticum— Food for the Journey! Jesus, I trust in you!

November 24, 2020 at 07:17 AM

May God Bless the Living Faith Family.

November 24, 2020 at 06:45 AM

Amen

November 24, 2020 at 05:21 AM

Thank you for the lovely devotion.

November 24, 2020 at 02:31 AM