November 21, 2020
The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Sing a New Song
O God, I will sing a new song to you.
Psalm 144:9

On this feast of the Presentation of Mary, we celebrate the Church’s tradition of remembering the young child, Mary, being brought to the Temple in Jerusalem by her parents. There, she was dedicated to God, and there, early on in her life, Mary began to sing a new song, the song of placing her whole self at the service of God. In her formative years, Mary had no idea how the melody would change and swell over time and place.

Like Mary, we are called to sing with our lives a new song for God, the song of being available to the Holy One at every moment. As we open ourselves to grace, we sing not only in times of delight and awe, but also in moments of searing anguish and profound loss. We pray to sing a song that communicates our desire to be a healing presence in our world.

- Sr. Chris Koellhoffer, IHM

Comments

November 21, 2020 at 03:11 PM

Sr. Chris, thank you for your wonderful devotion. May God forgive me for the times I've lost my patience with him, I pray that the Blessed Mother will help me to open myself to God's grace, and to help me sing not only in my times of delight and joy, but also in my moments of anguish and pain. May our Blessed Mother lead and guide us all to our Lord Jesus Christ and continue to follow Him even through our sufferings.

November 21, 2020 at 01:50 PM

November 21, 2020 at 12:27 PM

Today is the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. How she gave so much of her life for the love of her son Jesus. She was created for one purpose to bring us closer to her son Jesus. May we continue to pray the Rosary and bring our petitions to her so that we can become closer to our Lord Jesus. May she bless us with all her graces. Amen.

November 21, 2020 at 12:01 PM

What a beautiful commentary, Sr. Chris. For all the times, especially the times of anguish, when I doubted that God was there, I pray for more spiritual fortitude. And may we all show more spiritual strength in these very difficult times. Mary’s loving message to all of us is to pray, repent, and have devotion to the Blessed Sacrament. She always points the way to her glorious son. Let us follow her path to God.

November 21, 2020 at 11:00 AM

The Psalm is the one that my dear sister used to keep close to her while she was living with the reality that her life had in fact been transformed by our Lord, that she was saved. Her heart was transformed toward our Lord and that she could endure the pain and suffering that was around the corner for her, until the time of her death. Dear Lord my Rock, who I trust in you my life and my salvation, now and forever. With you I am never alone and I will overcome all things. These things in our life are temporary, but everything we have from you is eternal. With my sister Karen always in my heart and mind, please release her this day from Purgatory and bring her to rest in your presence in your kingdom, prepared for her this dat and all of us. May you accept our prayer for all of the souls in Purgatory and may they be risen to your kingdom. Please continue to hear all of the prayers of your Living Faith Family. Please keep us safe. Today Lord Jesus protect Terri and I from COVID 19 as our middle son Patrick who lives with us is now infected as a result of being a frontline health care worker. Please keep an extra watch over our son, as he was only trying to come to the service of others in need and dying. Please wrap your arms around Patrick and protect him when we cannot. Hear our extra prayers for Patrick and help him emotionally in dealing for the first time, his experience of being alone with two of his patients when they died this week, alone in the room with him. May the mens families be in your loving arms as they have lost their love one to this horrible disease. In Jesus's name we all pray, Our Father.... Amen.

November 21, 2020 at 10:32 AM

david
November 22, 2020 at 02:12 AM

Praying for you and your family, Tim.

November 21, 2020 at 06:16 PM

Pryaing for you, Tim, your wife Terri, and you son Patrick that God's protection, His provision of immune system and antibodies be with all of you. May Patrick's symptoms be minimum and he feels comfortable as God heals him. May God's peace, comfort and strength be with Patrick as he deals with the end of life of his patients he serves. To God be the glory, Amen!!!

Bill L
November 21, 2020 at 03:45 PM

Tim, My Prayer will be with you tonight.

Tillie
November 21, 2020 at 02:48 PM

Tim, I'm so very sorry to hear that your middle son Patrick is now infected COVID 19. My heart goes to you, your wife Terri and your son Patrick. I will be praying for all of you. May God keep you and your family safe and may God heal your son and may he recover quickly. God Bless You and your family.

Rita
November 21, 2020 at 12:34 PM

Tim, praying for you and your family. May the Lord wrap his arms around you and heal your son.

November 21, 2020 at 11:52 AM

Tim I will pray for you and Terri and Patrick right now I will include Karen in my prayers when I pray the divine mercy chaplet. Tim please be careful and safe. Ken

November 21, 2020 at 09:42 AM

Amen! Lord, help me to sing a new song.

November 21, 2020 at 08:15 AM

Do you sometimes feel like the two witnesses decribed in the first reading? I do! God has protected me from a nasty life ending divorce 20 years ago (He put us back together after 2 days of court testimonies and 6 month separation)! He grew my faith in raising rebellious (one full time and one part time :-) children and young adults (He still does that). He gave me His Word, so my prayer for a friend ready for a very risky spinal surgery felt those Words from Scripture were personally spoken to him. He survived to raise his 5 children 15 years ago! He gave me insight into people's personal situations where I was able to interject with His Word (then they start attending Bible studies to feed themselves) and He points them back to Himself! And yes, there were times, I was ridiculed and wars were waged against me and my family especially in August every year preparing to serve other women and students in Bible studies starting September! There were days I felt like I was dead and laid out in the streets for all those who hate God to gloat because of what I represent and say! God always breathes His breath into me to revive me whether my husband was secretly wanting to divorce me even after we got back together or children rebelled against God in their behavior or a friend betrayed me! Why did I have to go through all that and still do? Because God wants me to experience Him personally, so I will say as the Psalmist did in today's Psalm, "The Lord is my Rock, my mercy, my fortress, my stronghold, my deliverer, my shield and my victory!" So I can sing a new song to Him every daily encounter I have with Him :-) What are you going through right now? What character of God is He showing you? Don't miss it...His Name is an endless list to learn :-) The Sadducees in today's Gospel had a question they wanted to know and they wanted to stump Jesus too! Do you sometimes want to know the answer to your questions to or about God and you can't find the answers in Scripture? I do all the time!!! However, I did find the answer in Scripture one day but it was not really an answer but His response to my search in Deuteronomy 29:29, "The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the Words of this law." Just remember and know that 1) 2 Timothy 1:10, "Our Savior Jesus Christ has destroyed death and brought life to light through the Gospel." 2) Isaiah 55:8-9, "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts." 3) 2 Peter 3:9, "The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. Instead He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." Amen :-) Amen :-) and Amen xoxoxo!

david
November 22, 2020 at 02:40 AM

Salina, I am going through a divorce actually I have been divorced more than 5 years. I married a woman from Mexico I legally brought her over to the United States only for her to use me and stay married to me for 12 years. Then once she new the marriage reached the time period to be considered a long time marriage she told me that she had been waiting all those years for the day to divorce me. She has gotten a portion of my retirement and I pay her alimony and I got stuck with all the debts now she wants to get whatever she can from my house which I bought 11 years before marring her. It helps me to read your words "When I feel overwhelmed, frustrated or resentful I remind myself that the love of God will never leads us to where the grace of God cannot sustain us."

November 21, 2020 at 06:41 PM

Thank you everyone who responded to my sharing today whether in writing or not of this faithful LFFamily. I love you all! Your encouragment and comments today and everyday means so much to me and many others!!! You all have made my 64th birthday very special today :-) even in the midst of grieving for the loss of our family member, Pepper, a 14 year old Miniature Schnauzer on Wednesday, and postponing my plan to travel to Raleigh to see my girls until Monday because I was too upset to finish my BSF Bible lesson #10 for the students this Friday. All is well with my soul!!! All along, God knew His plan (my delay plan) for my good as I found out a nail in one of my tires in the car today. It is all fixed at Discount Tires without charge today (who does that these days?) Imagine driving 270 miles to see my girls with a nail in the tire? Patrick, what a wonderful piece you shared on Godincidence! Great Are You Lord by Casting Crown https://youtu.be/FaP8fKAR2Og It is Your breath in our lungs, Lord! Amen :-)

Patrick
November 21, 2020 at 04:30 PM

Hello again Salina, after i responded to your comment and clicked into another site I read the following piece, Godincidence :-) absolutely Don’t keep it to yourself! UCB 21 NOVEMBER 2020 ‘Go home…and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you.’  Mark 5:19 Have you ever been somewhere so wonderful that you never wanted to leave? That’s how the man in Mark chapter 5 felt after Jesus healed him from a life of insanity. He wanted to travel with Jesus, listen to His teachings, witness His miracles, and enjoy His company. But Jesus told him to go home and tell His family what God had done for him. God doesn’t want you to live remote and distant from the rest of the world! The only way to keep what you have is to give it away. After a spiritual mountaintop experience, you must take what you’ve received and share it with those in the valley. The man in today’s reading had spent years living in a graveyard. He was cutting himself and raving incoherently. Now the crowd saw him ‘sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right mind’ (Luke 8:35). And that’s still how it works. First Jesus clothes you, then He calls you. When you come to Him, you’re spiritually naked, so He wraps you in His righteousness. Paul says, ‘Any man…in Christ…is a new creature: old things are passed away…all things are become new’ (2 Corinthians 5:17). Whereas you were once ‘in Adam’ where all die, now you’re ‘in Christ’ where all are made alive spiritually (see 1 Corinthians 15:22). Hymnist Edwin Mote wrote: ‘Clothed in His righteousness alone, faultless to stand before the throne.’ But never forget that once you’re ‘clothed and in your right mind’, it’s your God-given mandate to go out and tell others what the Lord has done for you.

Patrick
November 21, 2020 at 04:01 PM

Thank you Salina, you are a woman who knows the purpose God created you for. A personal testimony is a powerful way to encourage others, many of whom you may never know. We have a saying in our community about sharing our stories to help others., "unshared pain is wasted pain". When I feel overwhelmed, frustrated or resentful I remind myself that the love of God will never leads us to where the grace of God cannot sustain us. Look after yourself take time to rest and be still, Jesus did that regularly and for good reason.

Tillie
November 21, 2020 at 01:09 PM

Salina, thank you for sharing your story. It brought comfort to me to know that I am not the only one that's had "a nasty life". It gave me strength and patience to continue to wait on our Lord to keep His promises and to answer my prayers. God Bless You.

Pam
November 21, 2020 at 10:36 AM

Salina, The sharing of your honest heart and pure love for God and His word, is a true gift for us! Thanking God for the Gift of You! God Bless you and all who you love!

Tim
November 21, 2020 at 10:31 AM

Salina, thank you for your witness today, powerful as ever. God has brought you this far he is not done with you yet, and thanks be to God for that, because there is much we still need to witness from you. I feel we all have a past, where Jesus reach down his had for us to grab it, thanks be to God, I was in tune with him each of those times, because I do not know what I would do. Thank you for being here is all of our lives, offering your witness. Blessed be our God. Amen

Annette
November 21, 2020 at 10:13 AM

Thank you for your response. It refreshed me, warmed my heart and fed me. Let us all pray for each other for patience and perseverance, knowing we are in this battle together. God Bless You!

Ken
November 21, 2020 at 08:50 AM

Thanks Salina for your courage and faith. I’ve read your comments over the years and always feel your strength and resolve. You have been a blessing for many.

November 21, 2020 at 08:11 AM

Amen. Prayers for the Living Faith Family this Saturday :)

Holly
November 21, 2020 at 09:44 AM

Thank you for being such a blessing! May God continue to bless you!

November 21, 2020 at 07:28 AM

Sister . Thank you ! ???? That is so well said an delivered . We all need to strive to let Gods presence be seen through us by our actions an how we have love for one another . Peace and blessings you an all the LFF . Michael

November 21, 2020 at 09:49 AM

Salina,Michael, Holly Lia and the other Ken. I totally agree with you that Salina, Tim Patrick have comments that are right on Keep them up as they inspire us. Please pray for the souls in purgatory and the essential workers and the living faith family Ken