November 20, 2020
We Must Act
Jesus entered the temple area and proceeded to drive out those who were selling things…
Luke 19:45

So much of Jesus’ ministry was devoted to preaching the word of God. He taught us to love our enemies, turn the other cheek, reach out to the poor and marginalized. He spoke often about the importance of love and forgiveness. Rare is the moment when he displays anger. But this incident at the temple is still a teaching moment. Here, Jesus does not choose words or a parable to make a point. He takes direct action. What was happening at this house of God struck at Jesus’ core. There is behavior that can’t be tolerated. As followers of Christ, we can’t stand by and see a child hurt. We can’t ignore the exploitation of the elderly or the needy. Like Jesus, there are times we must act with righteous anger. And yet, always, we must act out of love.

- Paul Pennick

Comments

November 20, 2020 at 11:59 PM

I am say a mustard seed ! I'm new in my learning but have allways believed in Jesus.. But the comment that is just b4 mine , there was something I didn't understand.. The comment about evil doers , like I said above I am a mustard seed but I know God gave us free will so when people do wrong doesn't the courts take care of those people? We can't change what people do! All we can do is try to teach with out being overwhelming,pushy! And let God do the rest. I read that there are some people we can't get to so we are to leave them for God.. We should take care of our elderly.. I did for 25 years but I took care of people's grandparents or mother & fathers. Definitely take care of our future, the children teach them the word of Christ & help the make good choices & to learn from there mistakes.. Any ways my comment is basicly to do with the evil doers.. Forgiveness , don't judge, basicly take care of your house & what goes on with in & stay out of the neibhor house .. Forgiveness & prayer is what we can do to help the misguided , not judgment..Bye Bye fellow Christians sleep peacfully...

November 20, 2020 at 01:34 PM

Paul, thank you for your devotion. I agree, there is some behavior that can’t be tolerated. As followers of Christ, we can’t stand by and see children be hurt, the elderly or the needy be exploited, and evil doers continue with their evilness. Yes like Jesus and as His followers, there are times we must act with righteous anger, and at the same time we must act out of love and patience with one another. Jesus wants us to "agree to disagree" and resolve our differences with patience, humility, kindness and love for another. God Bless our Living Faith Family.

November 20, 2020 at 11:14 AM

Good Friday Morning to our Living Faith Family. Please remember to pray for all of the departed souls in Purgatory this day, that they soon be reunited with our Heavenly Father in Paradise. Let us for a moment draw a picture in our minds of today's Gospel and slowly see what some of the messages that Jesus has for us today. There is a lot happening as Jesus walks into the temple area. His expectations are a lot somber perhaps, place of worship, reverence to his Father. Not this day, there was yelling, cheers, bad words being used, probably, but far from quietness, place to reflect and pray, talk to his Father and others if they had wanted to. Jesus had enough, and could not allow this to continue, it was an act of disobedience to his Father. This had to stop and it was stopping right now, as far as Jesus was concern. Jesus has another spiritual temple where he wants us to join him and that is the temple of of our heart. But, as in today's story, doesn't sometimes our own heart get filled with these same type of distractions, thieves, trying to temp us into the world of sin. If you find yourself in these type of distractions, as Jesus did, we must abruptly put an end to them in our lives so the good can come into our hearts and minds. We can come to the temple of Jesus, deep in our hearts in prayer and ask for his help, forgiveness, mercy and joy. Please know Jesus wants us to come to him with our needs. Jesus wants us not to be distracted to what is good in our lives. Remember deep down in your hearts and minds today to put God First. Your lives will be transformed. Continued prayers to our Living Faith Family. May God continue to bless each of you! Amen

November 20, 2020 at 10:38 AM

Since, August 2019 when I spotted errors in my final pension statement I have been engaged with my ex employer, and two separate pension consultants in a dispute over my pension which I was due to receive in September 2010. The companies involved are Global Corporations so it's David V three Goliaths. I almost drowned in legal paperwork and spreadsheets and threw in the towel, but I am determined to get to the truth so I kept going. So far I have managed to get a refund for myself and an unknown number of colleagues who were also affected. The refunds only partially address the situation fully so I continued to pursue the matter. As you might guess I am not their best friend now and just as with the chief priests etc. in the gospel they are trying to block me going further by wearing me out, hoping I will quit. You are quite correct Paul when you say, there is behaviour that can't be tolerated , because unchallenged it continues, so my decision is to continue to the end. Without going into detail I am in the final stages of trying to deal with them directly and need to carefully word my next submission. The next step if this fails is legal. Although I am angry I am not acting out of my anger, I had a short fuse and years ago would have lost the plot by now, said or written something that would have been used against me. I mention this because my impatience and angry reactions were things I specifically asked God to weed out of my life, He is a good gardner. Please pray for the will of God to prevail in my situation, Jesus I place my trust in you.

Patrick
November 20, 2020 at 11:17 PM

Thank you Ken, much appreciated. It’s 4 am I woke up a while ago with thoughts running through my head. I’m making notes to capture it all. It’s been a pattern for a while now. My sleep is regularly being broken but the thoughts I get are clear and relevant Despite interrupted sleep I get up refreshed and motivated to add the information to my case. The Lord works in strange but wonderful ways Alleluia.

November 20, 2020 at 11:44 AM

Patrick your comments and reflections are always an inspiration for me and I know the entire living faith family I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers today. Hang in there Ken

November 20, 2020 at 10:35 AM

Elizabeth
November 20, 2020 at 10:49 AM

Prayers for a good, healthy temperament, prudence, forbearance, and justice in this situation Patrick. Yes, seek wise Legal Counsel, an Advocate, you need one. Let's pray for each others' even temperament, I need help with mine too. We pray and ask this in Jesus's name, Amen.

November 20, 2020 at 09:48 AM

In the first reading, John was told to 1. Revelation 10:9," Yes, take it and eat it," (the scroll - God's Word) 2. Revelation 10:10, "It was sweet in my mouth, but when I swallowed it, it turned sour in my stomach." 3. Revelation 10:11, "You must prophesy again about many peoples, nations, languages, and kings." Yes, I take God's Word and chew on it everyday. And yes, it is sweet when I read the Word. And yes, it turns sour when I have to do what the Word says! (Especially when I have to say or tell what others do not want to hear :-( It is critical for me to read, study and do His Word everyday because if I don't, I will go my own way!!! The only way to fight evil or fears or the unknown...GOD'S WORD :-) The offensive weapon in the Armor of God! Why is it offensive? Because it is offensive? * James 1:19-21, "Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires. So get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the Word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls." * Ephesians 4:26-27, "Don’t sin by letting anger control you.” Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil." * James 4:1-3, "What is causing the quarrels and fights among you? Don’t they come from the evil desires at war within you? You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them. Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure." I CANNOT have righteous anger as Jesus did, why? Because no one is righteous!!! "Yes, Your decrees are my delight; they are my counselors. The law of Your mouth is to me more precious than thousands of gold and silver pieces. How sweet to my palate are Your promises, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" Amen!

ELIZABETH
November 20, 2020 at 10:16 AM

Love this, Thank you!

November 20, 2020 at 09:18 AM

AMEN! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this good Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen

November 20, 2020 at 08:54 AM

Seeing someone in a fit of anger, my reaction is to remove myself from them. Jesus was such a powerful person that his followers stayed and the tribes couldn't remove Him. May His power continue to lead us everyday. Blessings, continued prayers and have a peaceful day!

November 20, 2020 at 08:24 AM

True justice is always tempered in mercy. peace be with you all!

November 20, 2020 at 08:15 AM

November 20, 2020 at 07:47 AM

As a mother, one of the hardest things to do is deciding when to speak to our adult children and tell them like it is. It is not what they want to hear but even when they become parents themselves, we never stop loving or justifiably correcting them. Mama birds will continuously urge baby birds to fly on their own. Too many parents enable their children and this is why we have so many "boomerang" youth. Last night I decided to tell my adult daughter, who is hurt and struggling with a betrayal, like it is. The Holy Spirit always gives me a sign. This morning's devotional was my pat on the back, and Jesus telling me that I did the right thing. I know that she did not like what I said but I also knew when I drove away from her home, that I did the right thing. Jesus acted out of love - righteous anger, as Paul points out. It was the right time to take physical action. And as the adage goes, "Actions speak louder than words."

Tim
November 20, 2020 at 09:01 AM

Linda, it is never easy to see our own kids now adults, go through something that we simply cannot protect them. If it helps, I try to remember, that they did not invite us into their lives before or while they were making these life decisions either. Love of a parent is sometimes tough, but always unconditional. Best advise, to our kids sometimes, is go talk to God his door is always open. Let them know to go into Church when no one is around and just talk to him on their knees. them them to let God know you want to come back, but do not know the way. They need to ask God to show them the way. If they are not open to this ideal, know that we have you and your daughter in our prayers. Amen

November 20, 2020 at 08:33 AM

Good job and good morning talking to adult children is always difficult I am praying for you and yours Living faith family please know that this country will heal. We need to pray for our leaders and the people who we do not agree with. I will pray for the souls in purgatory and the essential workers. Grocery store workers transportation workers sanitation workers educators janitors should also have our prayers. Ken

November 20, 2020 at 07:29 AM

I agree, Sandy, but I, too, will continue to pray for all our leaders, even though I hate everything politically that they stand for. I know God brings good out of evil, even in the worst situations. Sometimes he lets people have what they desire so that they will see how evil it can be. Let’s pray people wake up to the evil behind all the pretty words and platitudes. By their fruits you shall know them.

Tillie
November 20, 2020 at 01:37 PM

Amen Azmom. God bless our country. I'm praying too.

AZNANNYOF4
November 20, 2020 at 08:09 AM

AMEN azmom, Sandy and Sandi. God bless our country. Remember He has and is. His love will prevail. How joyous when we can ‘see’ His results. This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad.

November 20, 2020 at 05:50 AM

Are there any selling of things in the Church that should be driven out today?

November 20, 2020 at 11:08 AM

If grace can be earned, it will not be grace!!! Grace - common grace (all creation) and saving grace (only in Jesus Christ)!

November 20, 2020 at 09:15 AM

Excellent question, Troy!!! It reminds me of the Basic Truths of the Christian Fatih we shared with our BSF students this past Wednesday. The BT question was "What is Grace?" We played a game of "Stand4Truth" which we told them a statement and they would stand if it is true and sit if it is false and correct the statement. Boy, did we stump them! 1) God pours out His grace on some people because they have religious hearts and do good things 2) I am so ruined by sin that I don't deserve God's kindness of favor. 3) No one can love God unless He changes their hearts with saving faith. 4) God created everyone therefore all people are His children. 5) God is only gracious if everyone is saved into the family. T or F, so what are your answers. Let's see how you do...F, T, T, F and F! Did you get them all? 1) No one deserves God's grace - Romans 3:10...There is no one righteous not even one. 2) Sin has so ruined each of us and we could never deserve God's kindness, period. 3) I cannot make you love God no more than you can make others love God. This is the work of God, the Holy Spirit, only! 4) We are not born into God's family as some are led to believe. We are adopted into His family. We are separated from God by sin since birth. We become His child when we believe in Jesus as Savior, repent of our sins and trust Him as Lord! 5) God is gracious in ALL He does. He does not owe anyone anything. Everything good is because of His grace. The whole world is full of God's grace. To answer your question, Troy, the churches are selling "CHEAP GRACE!" *Grace that depends on our own works (do this or that good work), *grace that makes us feel good (you are a good person and I am a good person) and *grace that is empty (I am going to heaven because my family is religious and goes to church every Sunday). So what is true grace? God's grace is His powerful kindness poured out on the undeserving :-) *Psalm 145:8-9, "The Lord is merciful and compassionate, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. The Lord is good to everyone. He showers compassion on all His creation." *Ephesians 2:8-9, "God saved you by His grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it." *Romans 5:1-2, "Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory." I say AMEN!!!

November 20, 2020 at 04:27 AM

This is absolutely fantastic, there are so many times we feel so angry and helpless but the one thing we forget to focus on is the love and compassion and gentleness. It's so hard to find balance between being angry and feel love at the same time, to have these two feelings co-operating at the same time. Definitely something to focus on.

Sandi
November 20, 2020 at 07:41 AM

I agree "our poor country". We must remember this is God's country and I think he is really telling us "come back to me". People we need to go back to God

Sandy
November 20, 2020 at 07:17 AM

Yes- after this “election” it is difficult to love baby killers and cheating liars. Letting the anger go may never happen. I pray about this, knowing that God is in charge and I am unable to know what his plan is. Our poor country!