November 19, 2020
Great Joy in Us!
Sing to the LORD a new song… Let Israel be glad in their maker… Let them praise his name in the festive dance… For the LORD loves his people…
Psalm 149:1-4

Psalm 149 is inviting the people of Israel to express their joy that they have been chosen by God and have come through great difficulty. Singing a new song and dancing is a glorious celebration. For me, the part I most want to understand is that “the Lord takes delight in his people.”

It has taken me a long time to really appreciate that the delight begins with God. When we rejoice, we are responding to God’s joyful love. The newest member of my family, Ella Marie, helps me. At about 4 months old, she can smile and even laugh. But each time, she is responding to the smile and laughter of someone delighting in her. Our celebratory joy, our singing a new song, is not to get God’s attention. It is a response to God’s great joy in us!

- Patricia Livingston

Comments

November 19, 2020 at 03:34 PM

Amen, I try to celebrate the little and big gifts God sends to me each and every day. And if I'm feeling hard of heart and stiff of neck, I ask God to help me hear and see what I need to for this day. Am so glad Living Faith is steering clear of the divisive, politic rhetoric that is clamoring all throughout the media today. May Jesus give us the peace beyond all human understanding. Amen.

November 19, 2020 at 02:40 PM

Today's devotion is very comforting and joyful to me thank you, Patricia. " Our celebratory joy, our singing a new song, is not to get God’s attention. It is a response to God’s great joy in us!" When I feel God's joy in my heart, I automatically start singing and dancing. I guess that's how our hearts and souls respond to God’s joyful love. God Bless our Living Faith Family.

Bill L
November 19, 2020 at 05:25 PM

Same here, Tillie. I must have some music playing during my day. It's usually light classical or standards. Now even more. Blessings to you all!

Tim
November 19, 2020 at 03:25 PM

That is AWESOME, Tillie, me too I want to seek much Joy in my heart and my life. Amen

November 19, 2020 at 09:56 AM

Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen Please Holy Father, help DJT to be victorious

November 19, 2020 at 09:34 AM

Yes, heaven on earth as we imitate heaven on earth by singing joyfully a new song after much difficulties! Revelation 5:9b-10 (The Message translation), "Worthy (Jesus)! Take the scroll, open its seals. Slain (Jesus)! Paying in blood, You (Jesus) bought men and women, bought them back from all over the earth, bought them back for God. Then You made them a Kingdom, priests for our God, priest-kings to rule over the earth." Look at the sequence of events/emotions John saw in Revelation 5:4-5, 8, 9a, to bring them to this joyful new song 1) I shed many tears because no one was found worthy to open the scroll or to examine it. 2) One of the elders said to me, “Do not weep. The lion of the tribe of Judah, the root of David, has triumphed, enabling Him to open the scroll with its seven seals. 3) When He (Jesus) took it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each of the elders held a harp and gold bowls filled with incense, which are the prayers of the holy ones. They sang a new hymn:" Jesus was going through the same events/emotions in today's Gospel until joy comes!!! Luke 19:41, "As Jesus drew near Jerusalem, He saw the city and wept over it!" What did Jesus see? Why did He weep over it? Luke 19:42-44 (The Message traslation), "If you had only recognized this day, and everything that was good for you! But now it’s too late. In the days ahead your enemies are going to bring up their heavy artillery and surround you, pressing in from every side. They’ll smash you and your babies on the pavement. Not one stone will be left intact. All this because you didn’t recognize and welcome God’s personal visit." What does Jesus see today? Is He crying over it? Psalm 30:4-5, "Sing to the Lord, all you godly ones! Praise His holy Name. For His anger lasts only a moment, but His favor lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning!" Amen, Jesus is on the throne :-) Revelation Song by Kari Jobe https://youtu.be/rGgX_oqdib4

November 19, 2020 at 07:15 PM

That's on my bucket list, Tim, to visit Jerusalem!!! I can hear in your writing the awe you saw and how His Word became living color at the moment as you looked out :-) I know if I don't get to see Jerusalem, I will experience the same awe in heaven and another new hymn will be sung :-) I can't wait to be there worshiping God with a new hymn! Thank you, Tim, for reminding me of it!

November 19, 2020 at 07:15 PM

Tim
November 19, 2020 at 03:34 PM

Salina and the entire Living Faith Family, sorry I am so late today in my reflection. Salina, after reading and re-reading your message, there is not much for me to say because you have covered the explanation, meaning and shared your wisdom with all of us. The only thing I will say is that I was able to stand in the area in Jerusalem where it is said Jesus wept. This overlooks the Temple and the Old City Wall. You look through this window, step back and see a challis framed into the window. No glass, open . I wish I could add a picture for everyone, it is so moving to look out and recall, read this scripture in person. WOW. Prayers to all of your here. Amen

November 19, 2020 at 08:40 AM

November 19, 2020 at 07:27 AM

Amen! Thank you for this uplifting reflection. After reading it twice I felt the joy bubbling up within me. Especially as I’m about 6 weeks away from becoming a grandmother for the first time! Prayers for all.

Bill L
November 19, 2020 at 05:33 PM

Enjoy the moments, EM. I have 13! and 3 Great! You should see our Christmas list, haha!

Tim
November 19, 2020 at 03:35 PM

Congratulations!

Tillie
November 19, 2020 at 02:42 PM

EM, congratulations also on becoming a grandmother for the first time. What Joy.

Sandy
November 19, 2020 at 09:01 AM

EM, congratulations on becoming a grandmother. I was blessed again with my second grandchild 5 weeks ago. It changed my life and is truly a gift from God.

November 19, 2020 at 08:37 AM

EM the six weeks will go fast. I have 4 grandchildren and I will be watching the youngest on Fridays in January. I am excited and but I'm also not sure of myself with a infant. My oldest daughter sent me a video of the other 3 grandchildren jumping for joy upon seeing the first snow falling Living faith family I will think of you guys at Mass this morning. Ken

November 19, 2020 at 05:53 AM

Patricia I love your analogy of the cycle of joy you observe in Ella Marie to describe the love of God for us. You are so right, four years ago we became grandparents for the first time now we have three with a fourth due in January please God. We love to see them laughing and gurgling often in response to a bit of clowning from us. It is a mutually beneficial cycle of fun joy and love. Your devotional has set me up for the day, so perceptive, as good a parable as I have ever come across

November 19, 2020 at 03:44 AM

"Our celebratory joy, our singing a new song, is not to get God’s attention. It is a response to God’s great joy in us!" Amen!