November 18, 2020
The Dedication of the Basilicas of Sts. Peter and Paul; St. Rose Philippine Duchesne
Poor Responses
He replied, “I tell you, to everyone who has, more will be given, but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.”
Luke 19:26

Though this sounds like a prophecy, it has been a truth since the beginning of civilization. In Jesus’ day, those who had the least were the slaves whose own bodies and very lives were often taken from them. In feudal times, rulers took most of the fruits of the laboring peasants who were left with barely enough to sustain themselves.

It continues to be a truth in our time. Along with offering our charity and compassion for those poorer than ourselves, we must also continue working for an economic system that does not penalize people for being poor. I think this is what Jesus demands by telling this story.

- Aileen O’Donoghue

Comments

November 18, 2020 at 11:23 PM

I have been reading these comments for about a year & generally finding them helpful. However I am very disappointed by political comments today disparaging Biden & Cuomo & Socialism. It seems that some of you have missed the fact that Jesus encouraged love for all, not the chronic hate proclaimed by the current administration. If this misinformation is going to be the direction of this site, I think I will again order the Living Faith booklets & skip the the uninformed comments.

azmom
November 19, 2020 at 06:55 AM

Claire, you are one who is misinformed, or should I say blind to the evil right in front of your eyes. I didn’t start the political comments, the writer did. I don’t hate anyone. I love all of God’s children and pray for them, but when a writer of a devotional magazine quotes a man that supports abortion and disparages the Catholic Church, I will call her out on it. That’s my right as a citizen in a democratic country.

November 18, 2020 at 06:50 PM

Sharing with my text exchanges with a friend who is upset about what is going in the news! She sent me a news notice and... (Salina) Don't know how true anything is any more (sad face emoji) But what is true is God knows everything, He has a plan for us even though when it doesn't make sense to us. He blessed Abram even though he lied about Sarai (or he didn't tell the whole true - Sarai was half-sister to Abram). He blessed Jacob even though he lied. He said David was after His own heart even though he was an adulterer and a murderer. So He blesses us the undeserving, even though some voted for Biden. :-)" Friend, "Ha ha. This is beyond crazy though for my mind. We will probably never know the truth." Salina, "Whatever they have done or didn't do or will do, they will lay in the bed they made and are making. Look at what Democrats did in Senate with the "nuclear option" (a simple majority of 51 votes) during the Obama years. It benefited Trump to put through 3 supreme Court justices with 51 votes (and not the 60 votes threshold for overcoming a filibuster)! God's plan was, is and will be fulfilled.! Don't fret and trust Him... He really does know what He is doing! Friend, "I needed to hear that!" Salina, "There is not as much violence now as predicted when compared with if Trump wins. We should be thankful for that!" Friend, "Ya, always something to be thankful for!"

Eliz
November 19, 2020 at 04:05 PM

AMEN AZMOM, how many of us are bullied into silence and now blind obedience, against our own will. You hit the nail on its head, and God's will will be done. Be stouthearted and take courage. Not alone.

November 19, 2020 at 02:07 AM

1 Thessalonians 2:8, “We loved you so much that we shared with you not only God’s Good News but our own lives, too.”

Tillie
November 18, 2020 at 10:11 PM

Salina, you are getting carried away with political issues. You must remember that this is a Catholic Forum, not a political forum. You might try using YouTube for pollical issues. Leave this forum for Jesus Christ our Lord and Savoir, the one who judges us all.

November 18, 2020 at 04:53 PM

I think Jesus is saying people are people, don't get caught up in trying to save or rescue people, especially if they don't want to be. When God gives you something, use it or lose it, don't disappoint his generous lavish gifts by whimping out. God loves a good story.

Jeannine Burch Respond to comment
November 18, 2020 at 03:38 PM

I would like re-read the reflection for 9-7-20. Can I find on this website. I have already recycled that issue.

November 18, 2020 at 04:51 PM

Eileen Carlson
November 18, 2020 at 04:36 PM

Click on the back button on calendar and go back to that date.

November 18, 2020 at 12:45 PM

Again truth taken out of context. Going back and reading the whole parable sheds light on what is said. Show no effort and you lose. The political interjection of Coumo, does not sit well, abortion past birth, intentionally killing seniors, his hands are bloody and as many CINOs, he totes his Catholic faith, whereas he is most certainly a goat that will be going to hell.

November 18, 2020 at 10:47 AM

I am saddened that this previously beautiful devotional space has been touched by the harsh, hate filled, divisive vitriol that is so common in our country today. Let us all turn away from darkness to the one True Light of the World, the Lord Jesus Christ. I’ll pray for you brothers and sisters that the Lord will open our hearts so that “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind , and with all your strength. “ The second is “ You shall love your neighbor as yourself.. “ Mark 12:30-31

November 18, 2020 at 09:11 AM

1) Who are these servants of this nobleman king? 2) What do the 10 gold coins (money) represent? 3) Why do the fellow citizens dispise him? First of all, this nobleman king is going away...Jesus is seated on the right hand side of the Father and He is coming back to judge the living and the dead! 1) These servants are workers/slaves(hired/bought by) to the nobleman. That means they had nothing to begin with. 2) They were given 10 gold coins (money)! The Gospel message, 10 people, 10 resources, 10 cities, etc? We are all given equally 10 gold coins whether you are poor or rich! So go figure out what 10 gold coins you have been given and the responsibility to care for them, to grow them and to return them to Jesus! 3) The follow citizens of the world are the ones who reject the Gospel message and denounce the Name of Jesus! My takeaways: 1) I had nothing (more like naked) when I came into this world and everything I have belongs to the Lord! 2) Being a good steward of caring, growing and returning His Kingdom people! 3) Luke 19:27, "Now as for those enemies of Mine who did not want Me as their king, bring them here and slay them before Me!" It truly is not about our duty or obligations giving charity and compassion, but about who (my girls, students, others, whosoever God has placed in my life) and what (money, resources, love, forgiveness, etc) God has given me to care for, to grow and to return with a profit! * 1 Corinthians 6:12a, "I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial." * 1 Corinthians 10:23-24, "I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but not everything is constructive. No one should seek their own good, but the good of others." * 1 Timothy 4:8-10, "Physical training is good, but training for godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come.” This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it. This is why we work hard and continue to struggle, for our hope is in the living God, who is the Savior of all people and particularly of all believers!" Amen :-)

Brenda Atkinson
November 18, 2020 at 11:37 AM

Thank you everyone for your comments. I write "prayers of the faithful" as assigned for our Parish. I appreciate what these devotional writers do, but just as I cannot assert my political views into intercessions for the faithful, nor should they be regurgitating theirs into these devotionals. I empathize and agree with AZ Mom, and the commentary regarding socialism as well; but I am tired of being angry and truly believe God has a plan in all this..... With that being said, I think Erika's commentary (posted at 6AM) hit the nail on head. Right on Girlfriend, you got this! It made me think of 2 COR 9: 6-7 "He who sows sparingly, will reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will reap bountifully. Everyone must give according to what he has inwardly decided; not sadly, not grudgingly, for GOD LOVES A CHEERFUL GIVER". Of course we support our parish, but I pick one night every December, sit down at the table, with a glass of wine, a stack of Christmas cards, and our checkbook; say a prayer for guidance and just start writing checks to various Charities; mailing them out the next day. This may give new meaning to "joyful giver", but Erika is absolutely right, "if we live in abundance with the little we've been given... we'll receive more". I have learned this lesson, just as she has, it truly is a freeing....... Thank you Erika, God bless!

Allen Lexford Lea Respond to comment
November 18, 2020 at 08:54 AM

We do have that system and it is commonly known as capitalism. I know that it is not popular but it still allows people to get out of poverty and work their way up. It may not be easy but it is possible. Those who are lazy like the servant that buried his coin will not be rewarded for not doing due diligence. Most what we have in the U.S. is crony capitalism but still better than any type of socialism.

Jon in Michigan
November 18, 2020 at 09:46 AM

If you think poverty is the result of laziness, and that people are poor because they just don’t try hard enough, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of poverty and its causes. A significant percentage of poor people work very hard - trying to balance 2 or 3 jobs to make ends meet. Further, many of the poor people in my state (Michigan) are children, and they are not poor for any reason other than they were born into a poor family. If you haven’t done so, I’d suggest finding a non-profit org in your area that works with the poor (I have volunteered for, and sat on the boards of, 6 such organizations), and it may change your perspective. Capitalism may be better than all other economic systems, but it isn’t perfect.

November 18, 2020 at 08:47 AM

Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless Glory. I thank you for the gifted writers. At times, how they express their reflection strikes a chord in me. Be it positive or negative, I try to look beyond the writer and ask God to reveal to me what he is trying to tell me. I am not referring to the writers when I say that God uses unsavory characters throughout the Bible to get his point across and further His mission. Perhaps some of the characters referred to in the daily devotionals are for a purpose in God’s mission. I Praise God for that, he is teaching me. Use me Lord, your humble servant.

Allen Lexford Lea
November 19, 2020 at 10:13 AM

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of capitalism. What you are condemning is greed. In capitalism they are able to work those jobs. In the type of society that you are wanting those jobs would not be available. What I am saying is that I grew up poor. I can remember when we did not have indoor plumbing of any kind. To address the two or three jobs I have a couple of questions for you and for them. One is what have they done to improve their lot in life in order to get a better paying job? Two is what is their spending habits that they need that many jobs? What we consider poverty here in the United States would be luxury in 90% of the world.

November 18, 2020 at 08:37 AM

Forpeace, you remind me of the Pharisees and Scribes who were upset about Jesus using his whips to cleanse the temple and overturning the money changers’ tables. How dare Jesus do or say the things he did! So violent and uncouth and UNPEACEFUL. If you want to play “footsie” with evil, that’s your choice. There is nothing wrong with righteous anger over hypocrisy and denial of evil right in front of you. Thank God there are people on here that aren’t in a state of denial. Or what you call being peaceful.

November 18, 2020 at 08:36 AM

Good Wednesday morning to everyone, blessing of our Lord Jesus Christ this day be with you as you journey out in the world today. May he keep you safe and out of harms way. The Gospel of today is similar to the Gospel of this past Sunday, and to me the meaning is the same. We have all been blessed with our God given abilities and I pray everyday to the Holy Spirit that I used these to their fullest. I ask the Holy Spirit for additional wisdom, knowledge and understanding so that I may continue to provide for my family and his. I try to be a good steward of these gifts and graces given to me. It is not about the money as much as it is to share with others the gifts we have been entrusted with in our life. At his second coming, I would like to hear the words, well done, good servant. The flip side of this is sometimes we all fall short on our good intentions, because of our sin and the temptations of the world. Remember, to push these off and ask for his forgiveness and keep tying again. It is never too late. For others who do not have much money, material things in this life, but use your God given abilities to their fullest, your reward is great in Heaven. Keep doing what you are doing, I know when he comes again, you too will hear well done, good servant. It is not what we have, but what we have been given from above, must not be wasted, buried in the sand, but hopefully for good in growing his light amount the darkness of this world. Look around, there is need every where we look, more now than ever. Dear Lord Jesus, please hear all of our prayers for the souls in Purgatory. Please bless them and call them home to your loving arms this day, they are good servants. Dear Jesus, please hear our Living Faith Families prayers, we come to you with these prayers, as we are in need of your love in our lives. We pray, Amen

GHH
November 18, 2020 at 09:06 AM

AZmom, I am praying for you.

November 18, 2020 at 08:35 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all , for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

david
November 18, 2020 at 11:44 PM

Amen

November 18, 2020 at 08:14 AM

Richard Churray Respond to comment
November 18, 2020 at 08:10 AM

Thank you for the gift of Living Faith. I especially enjoy using your daily devotions each day as part of my prayer practice. I really like your new format however I wish you could do something to the darken the print so that it’s easier for us old people to see. Thank you so much! Keep up the good work. May God bless each of you and keep you safe. Amen.

November 18, 2020 at 07:25 AM

I’m so glad Living Faith edited this particular devotion. The original one, in the book, had Ms.O’Donoghue quoted Andrew Cuomo in reference to caring about the poor. Are you kidding me??? Why not quote Mother Teresa or any of the hundreds of saintly people who TRULY care for the poor. I was appalled that she did this and was about ready to cancel my subscription. Now, I see, the editors realized this man cares about no one but himself. He has blood on his hands for being a main supporter of abortion up to birth. I will pray for him, but would like Living Faith to get it together and not let writers get away with these kinds of remarks.

Donna (Chomper the First)
November 18, 2020 at 12:02 PM

Boy, did we ever read that scripture differently. I read it like you Tim and Salina. I am torn about whether we should talk politics in religion. We cannot really separate them can we - should we? Surely us Christians can discuss charitably and gently with each other for the greater glory of God? Andrew Cuomo sent the elderly back to nursing homes to die rather than send them to the empty hospital on the ship that Trumph had provided! We could educate each other as our media is....PEACE only through Jesus, with Jesus, and in Jesus! I wish that our church did discuss politics - the elephant in the room.

Donna Carl
November 18, 2020 at 08:47 AM

Totally agree! This reflection started my morning prayers in a very different direction than the usual inspirational messages I’ve received over the many years I’ve subscribed to Living Faith. Very disturbing and disappointing!

Forpeace
November 18, 2020 at 08:12 AM

I read through all the comments and all I see are comments full of strong opinions attacking someone who takes the time to write for this very healing devotional and who puts herself out there for others to ridicule. I don’t believe I see any of the names from the comments providing helpful, thoughtful devotionals. You may not agree with every point she made or how she made it, but if you’re reading this devotional, I would think that you’d at least respectfully try to see the over-all point being made and “turn your swords into plowshares” for a more peaceful and united country. May we (those looking to our God for guidance) begin the healing by treating each other with dignity and respect.

T
November 18, 2020 at 07:51 AM

I agree. Care and prudence need to be established by the editorial staff. Not a good year now and forward to read divisive opinions from their writers.

Jo
November 18, 2020 at 07:49 AM

I totally agree with you I do not always like her comments and what Ms. O’Donoghue says about the church…etc. I have complained in past times about what she says. Thank you for saying so “out loud”! Let us all do what we can to help those in need especially during the holiday season of Thanksgiving and holy season of Advent and Christmas! Let us be grateful to the Lord for all that we have and all the blessings that he has bestowed upon us every single day… Sometimes we’re so busy we don’t see the blessings that’s why it’s important to take time at night to pray to think over the day to examine our conscience and see all the goodness of the Lord. Blessings to all

John Porea
November 18, 2020 at 07:34 AM

Thank you for speaking up about this vile man who continues to lie about everything and yet is praised. Abortion & now COVID & nursing homes are the blood on his hands!

November 18, 2020 at 06:04 AM

To me what Jesus said resonates in a sense of attitude or perspective. I wonder if he was also referring to our Faith and ability to believe, and how we measure the world. So many times, as a teacher, I find myself tired, but I find that the day I give a little more than I think I can, I find that they are more fruitful, and the days that I give into the tiredness, allowing myself to believe “I have no energy, I can’t” are days that I’m left with absolutely nothing, and additionally I feel like I’m less impactful as teacher. This also makes me think of my past relationship, it didn’t work out. We have a daughter so I have to keep in contact. I was left with nothing, no financial stability or home. He had the house and the job but he would complain that it wasn’t enough, now he’s been unemployed since before covid, no car, etc. I was grateful for what I had and I saw money how God asks, donating, and not clinging to it, supporting my mom who supported me. Recently my sister needed new tires and I was able to purchase them for her. My car which was paid off earlier this year, needed repairs and I didn’t worry, as I had emergency funds, our bathroom had a leak and I was able to pay for it. I used to stress about money, being very frugal, saying “I don’t have money” and only giving a part of what was needed but once I starting seeing it as something that wasn’t mine but rather what good could come from it, I have been given more than. I even got a refund check for the amount that I needed in order for my sister to stay home with my daughter, because I didn’t want to send her to school. Now I’m the one that says “ don’t worry about it, I’ll take care of it.” In short, to me it’s a reminder that if we live in abundance with what little we’ve been given, we’ll receive more, whereas if we don’t appreciate what little we’ve been given it loses value and we end up with nothing.

Elizabeth
November 19, 2020 at 03:52 PM

Yes, please keep the provocative political opinions out, we get way too much of it in the media. This is not the platform to lecture us on politics.

November 18, 2020 at 08:37 AM

Amen :-) Thank you, Erika, for sharing your story and being an example of fully embracing what God has given you, little or more depending how one sees Who God is!!! You are the one who return with 10 gold coins :-) More will be given to you!!!

<3><
November 18, 2020 at 06:25 AM

Thank you, Erika Solis, I hear you and I am with you!

Alyssa Peacock
November 18, 2020 at 06:25 AM

Amen

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
November 18, 2020 at 05:46 AM

Thanks Aileen for today's devotion. The parable underscores the responsibility of the disciples of our Lord in ushering the fullness of the Kingdom between the Lord’s ascension and his second coming. The money symbolizes whatever gifts the Lord has given to us and which are to be used for his greater glory, the building of his kingdom of justice and love. These are not necessarily gifts concerned with skills but they could be anything such as time, resources and virtues. We are called to invest and use them well. These gifts are meant to be developed and used for the good of all. God wants to see if we can be faithful with small things before He entrusts us with bigger things. Those who are found to be responsible are given greater responsibilities. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a great day everyone.

Casey
November 18, 2020 at 06:39 AM

Thank you Aileen and Sham for your insight.

November 18, 2020 at 04:53 AM

To my Living Faith Family. I came here awhile back due to the fact that my Small Church group slowly disbanded. Moving out of town, death, etc. A very kind member use to give us these Living Faith books as gifts. And I have been reading them for many years. Thankfully, I found this place on line after the group broke up and have been here ever since. Another gift she gave was called "The Little Books". They were introduced by Bishop Ken Untener of the Catholic Diocese of Saginaw, Michigan. He has since passed on but the company has continued his work. The books (pamphlets) come out for Advent/Christmas, Lent and Easter. They have the readings of the season on one page and a reflection on the other side. I believe it will give you a great start to the holiday season. They are located here; https://littlebooks.org/ Prayers to all the Living Faith family in need today.

david
November 18, 2020 at 11:45 PM

Amen

Tim
November 18, 2020 at 08:21 AM

Bill L, yes these white, black and blue little booklets are so nice. I have kept them from many years past. I felt that they are very valuable of a reference to toss in the garbage. Our church stopped giving them out, but this idea was what led me to Living Faith Family here on line, first with their small booklet then I saw the website and I have not left since. Now 3 years, I continue to grow. If you are missing your small group experience, see if your church has a group “That Man Is You” TMIY. Because of Covid we meet every Thursday morning at 6:30AM. Please stay in contact, as I will probably be dreaming a virtual small group myself, targeted for Saturday mornings. Amen -Tim

November 18, 2020 at 08:17 AM

Welcome Bill L <3> great comments I have often wondered about the real world and the spiritual world Sham Peter I agree with your comment and feelings. Living faith family today is Feedmore day give me the strength and inspiration to respond to the people on my route. Living faith family I will pray for you at Mass this morning and when I return home. Ken