November 17, 2020
St. Elizabeth of Hungary
Right Here and Knocking
Jesus, knock again. Remind me you are here. Give me the courage to open the door.
Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, then I will enter his house and dine with him, and he with me.
Revelation 3:20

For many years, it seems I spent a lot of time in search of an elusive God. I tried to find God in the busyness of my life and work. I tried to see God in my commitment to church and family. I tried to experience Jesus in the poor and lonely. And surely, God is sometimes found in all those places and people.

But what I so often forgot in my frantic searching and working is that God is “right here,” standing at the doors to our hearts, knocking and waiting for a response. Perhaps I’ve been so busy that I have not stood still long enough to hear that gentle rapping—an invitation to enter and sit at his table.

- Steve Givens

Comments

November 17, 2020 at 04:19 PM

Reading 1 RV 3:1-6, 14-22 "Those whom I love, I reprove and chastise. Be earnest, therefore, and repent." The word chastise, means to rebuke or reprimand severely. The word earnest means showing sincere and intense conviction. This kind of teaching by God is tough love but trains us to follow Jesus through the good times and the not so good times. I really don't like going through it but as Salina has mentioned in one of her previous comments it builds us up to be what God wants us to be.

November 17, 2020 at 04:14 PM

Steve, thank you for your devotion it is so timely and fitting for me today. I too have been so very busy lately, going 100 miles an hour. Today I was wondering where are you Lord, can I get some help here with all these things that I have to do, I need help, it's just me, alone. Today's devotion was just in time to remind me that God is “right here,” standing at my door , by my heart, knocking and waiting for me to respond. I quote Steve: "Perhaps I’ve been so busy that I have not stood still long enough to hear that gentle rapping—an invitation to enter and sit at his table." God Bless our Living Faith Family.

November 17, 2020 at 01:52 PM

1. The Church in Sardis - "I know your works, that you have the reputation of being alive, but you are DEAD. Be watchful and strengthen what is left, which is going to die." (Revelation 3:1b, 2a) 2. The Church in Laodicea - “I know your works; I know that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth." (Revelation 3:15-16) Yikes! These are the people of churches God was talking to!!! They are basically walking dead and lukewarm ready for germs to infest! What a picture God has given me here...so what does God want these people to do? Before I think what the answer is, I want to point out today's reading skips 3. The church in Philadelphia - "I know your works (behold, I have left an open door before you, which no one can close). You have limited strength, and yet you have kept My Word and have not denied My Name...Because you have kept my message of endurance, I will keep you safe in the time of trial that is going to come to the whole world to test the inhabitants of the earth." (Revelation 3:8, 10) So here is what I think the answer is to not just the two churches in Sardis and Laodicea, but also the church in Philadelphia...Revelation 3:6, 13, 22, "Whoever has ears ought to hear what the Spirit says to the churches." You see, all these 3 churches have "works!" but they are all different. 1. Church of Sardis - "I have not found your works complete in the sight of my God!" 2. Church of Laodicea - "yet do not realize that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked!" 3. Church of Philadelphia - "Hold fast to what you have, so that no one may take your crown." So which church do you relate to? Dead work? Lukewarm? Or Suffering? 1) 2 Corinthians 6:1-2, "As God’s co-workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. He says, “In the time of My favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.” I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of Salvation!" 2) Hebrews 3:15, "Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion!" 3) Psalm 116:13-14, "I will lift up the cup of Salvation and call on the Name of the Lord. I will fulfill my vows to the Lord in the presence of all His people." Amen :-) "For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save what was lost (you and I)." Luke 19:10

November 17, 2020 at 01:08 PM

I find this finding interesting..."Exit polls showed evangelical Christians, a linchpin of Donald Trump’s 2016 victory, still overwhelmingly broke for him. But self-identifying Catholics – those attending Mass regularly mixed in with those who don’t — split almost evenly between the two candidates, according to AP Votecast." https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/11/17/poll_religious_freedom_is_key_facet_in_voters_choices.html

Margaret
November 17, 2020 at 08:17 PM

Could be because Biden is Catholic. I was shocked when I found that out a couple weeks ago.

November 17, 2020 at 11:00 AM

Dearhearts, I want to thank you all for your uplifting prayers for my annual Oncology tests and appointments...God continues to bless me REAL good! All is well and the Doctor said she'd see me next year! Music to my ears but more importantly, answered prayers! Now... would y'all please lift me in prayer tomorrow morning, as I will be having cataract surgery. Apparently, I'm getting quite a lense implanted, so much so, I've been asked to consent to the procedure being filmed! Not so sure I'm quite ready for my close-up! Praying together with and for y'all. God Bless us and all who we love!

November 17, 2020 at 07:23 PM

Are you ready to see clearly? You may want to dust everyday because you will see them with these new lenses :-)

kjc
November 17, 2020 at 06:10 PM

Pam I will pray for your surgery. Being filmed you are a movie star Ken

Tillie
November 17, 2020 at 04:19 PM

Pam, I am praying for you. I believe that your cataract surgery will be successful. Everything is possible through God.

Bill G.
November 17, 2020 at 01:26 PM

Prayers for you. Ten years ago I had a buckle (to fix a partially detached retina) and a few months later I had to have cataract surgery. Two years later I had cataract surgery in the other eye. After that I needed glasses for reading only. I hope everything goes as well for you.

November 17, 2020 at 09:44 AM

November 17, 2020 at 09:14 AM

Let us take a moment and gaze through the eyes and heart of Zacchaeus, who is featured in today’s Gospel. Zacchaeus, is a busy guy in the world, a not so like person in his community, because he was a tax collector. The members of the temple saw him as a sinner and here he is front and center, having the pleasure of hosting Jesus at his house. Let’s try to break this down a bit, I always like to do this when I am reading scripture and meditating on wha this happening in the story and what Jesus wants me to learn from the message. “Lectino Divina”. What is Zacchaeus wanting to do. He runs ahead of everyone, climbs up the tree to do what, to get a good look at this man who stirring up so much interest in his community. A man who is saving people from sickness, blindness and some he forgives their sins, mistakes they have made in their lives. Zacchaeus, wants to see this Jesus, to know more about him, he has this yearning for more, he wants more. What is more. Deep down in Zacchaeus’s heart he want to follow Jesus, he wants to be forgiven of his sins, want to make everything right with God. Today Jesus calls us all down from the tree of Zacchaeus and wants us to look inside ourselves and see what is holding us back from following him. Can we let go of these things, habits, to follow Jesus. Can we offer our sins to him and ask for his forgiveness and begin a new. The answer is YES, it is never to late to change and follow him. We can begin with asking for forgiveness, enter in prayer, and scripture, we will find him and Jesus will call to us if we are listening, come down from that tree for today I need to stay at your house. What a blessing, to have Jesus forgive our sins, and welcome us all into his family. Today, harden not your hearts, but begin a new. Continued prayers for all of the souls in Purgatory and for all of the Living Faith Family. Amen

Tillie
November 17, 2020 at 04:16 PM

Amen Tim. Your comment is so inspiring and beautiful, thank you. It comforted me.

Bill L.
November 17, 2020 at 02:46 PM

Thanks, Tim. This is one of my favorite characters in the gospels. Most people would not take that much effort to try and meet Jesus.

November 17, 2020 at 08:42 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen

November 17, 2020 at 08:23 AM

Lord still me in the daze and confusion that is the world. Calm me in the way that only you can. Make me always attentive to your constant presence. Amen

November 17, 2020 at 08:13 AM

November 17, 2020 at 07:43 AM

" Be still and know that I am God".

November 17, 2020 at 07:39 AM

Amen Let us always be listening

November 17, 2020 at 07:31 AM

Heavenly Father, open my ears to hear You knocking. Open my mind to realize it's You. Open my heart to accept Your call. Guide my steps to do Your will. Amen.

November 17, 2020 at 08:46 AM

Lily praying for you and your son who is heaven now. Jackie praying for you and your friend husband Dave. Pam Del/tom Holly and freeter you guys are also in my prayers. Tim Salina and Patrick I enjoy your reflections Please pray for the souls in purgatory and the essential workers and the health care providers. Living faith family I will pray for you guys right now Ken