November 15, 2020
Living the Gospel Now
You yourselves know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief at night.
1 Thessalonians 5:2

While doing hospital ministry, I brought the Eucharist to a businessman who was recovering from heart surgery. He was on the phone when I entered the room, so he waved me away. As I left, I heard him say he was being released the next day. I later learned that he died that evening.

Those of us who have lost a loved one to a sudden, unexpected death quickly become aware of the fragility of life. That can be a good or bad thing depending on what we do with that awareness. If it leads to too much fear and anxiety, it is obviously destructive. But if it continues to alter our understanding of what is truly important in life, it can be transformative. Although we will never live them out perfectly, hopefully the gospel values of justice, mercy and forgiveness take on more urgency when we think of the end of our life.

- Terry Mifek

Comments

November 15, 2020 at 04:10 PM

Not sure if I found comfort after reading the Daily Devotion. I read it to my vegetative son at the nursing home for many years until it was shut down. After two months he passed from COVID-19, I was devastated. It has been 6 months now and I am still grieving in deep sorrow. I just can’t let go. May God give me strength to carry on. I resume doing the Daily Devotion now after Divine Mercy every day. Thank you all for writing the Daily Devotions.

david
November 15, 2020 at 11:10 PM

Lily, you will see your son again when Jesus returns. Tim, is a kinda father for the rest of us and he is a person that really has a closeness with the Lord. My prayer is with you and for your son.

November 15, 2020 at 11:07 PM

I am so sorry for your loss, Lily :-( Please find a support group to join! https://www.griefshare.org https://www.focusonthefamily.com/get-help/moving-forward-dealing-with-grief/ May God comfort you who mourn, and provide for you who grieve, to bestow on you a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. Amen! (Isaiah 61:2c-3ab)

Tim
November 15, 2020 at 04:31 PM

There is no way we could ever know your suffering, but we all here want you to know you are loved and your son is loved, by all of us and our Lord. Please remember as you are, that His yoke is easy and always available in prayer. We are all praying for you and this will never change. Amen

November 15, 2020 at 02:11 PM

November 15, 2020 at 01:44 PM

Terry, thank you for your devotion. The loss of a loved one no, matter how they die, is very painful, hurtful and we are left with sorrow, longing for them and grief stricken. May the loss of a loved one help us to understand what is truly important in life, and that it will transform us into God fearing, God loving, obedient individuals. May all continue to follow Jesus, obey and do God's will and love one another as He has taught us. God Bless our Living Faith Family.

November 15, 2020 at 01:30 PM

Jackie - prayers for your friend's husband, Dave, may he recover promptly. * Salina - congratulations to Jessi for an early acceptance from the medical school of ETSU.

November 15, 2020 at 10:49 AM

Continuing prayers for Dave and Jessie, and Del/tom. And heartfelt praise for all of my good test results and doctor appointment. Thank you Dearhearts for tucking me in your prayers. God Bless us all and all who we love!

david
November 15, 2020 at 09:19 PM

Pam, I always enjoy to read your comments.

Tim
November 15, 2020 at 01:05 PM

Pam, Del/Tom my prayers are with you always. Amen

November 15, 2020 at 12:26 PM

Pam great news great results. Keep safe and be careful Sorry you missed 5 days of spring like weather in western New York I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Ken

November 15, 2020 at 10:21 AM

Ken, thank you for your prayers. God bless you!

Jackie
November 15, 2020 at 10:25 AM

Thank you Salina and Bill for your prayers. God bless you.

November 15, 2020 at 09:56 AM

What is the Gospel? If I have to live a Gospel life, what does my life look like? Will the Gospel values of justice, mercy and forgiveness of my sins in full display for all to see and desire? Will the Gospel values of justice, mercy and forgiveness of their sins in full display for me to point out? Will others see me as a sinful or a sinless person who was granted justice (death penalty), mercy (eternal life) and forgiveness (reconciliation with God)? You see, a sinful person will display the Gospel as a receiver (look what Jesus has done for me) and a sinless person will display the Gospel as a giver (look what I can do for you)! So what is the Gospel? The Gospel is Good News! What is the Good News? The Good News is Jesus Christ! What is the Good News of Jesus Christ? John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His One and only Son (Jesus Christ), that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Romans 6:23, “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 10:9, “If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Do I live like the death penalty (justice) has been paid for by Jesus? Do I live like eternal life (mercy) has granted to me by Jesus? Do I live like I have reconciled (forgiveness) with God because of Jesus? Do I have to do anything to pay Jesus back for what I owe Him? No, I don’t have to do anything to pay Him back, but yes, I have to give my whole life to Jesus because He bought my life with His...I am free to be a slave to Christ :-) I am no longer a slave to sin :-) Does that mean I don’t sin any more? No, that means I live the Gospel values of justice, mercy and forgiveness because justice was done when Jesus died for me and my sins, He rose from the dead and granted me mercy in eternal life as I believe Jesus and call on His Name, and now He is seated on the right hand side of the Father interceding for me because I am forgiven and reconciled with the Father! To the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I say Amen! Again I say Amen! In Christ Alone https://youtu.be/8welVgKX8Qo

November 15, 2020 at 09:30 AM

Good Sunday Morning To The Living Faith Family. Wow, today readings are jammed pack with great content. What a beautiful first reading to all of the women, wife’s, mothers and basically all of us as well, as a teaching moment. We hear that a good wife, women and mother, is worth more than pearls, I say she worth more than all the money on the face of earth. This women, my wife and mother to our 3 great kids has entrusting heart. The unsung hero of our family, I like to say. She is the one who is dealing on the frontlines for all of us in this family. Her job description is too vast to list here this morning, but know of its great importance to this family. Second set, of the wonderful talents this women, wife and mother processes, are that she give of her time to others in need and or wants. She feeds others in need, she comforts the lost and lonely and she, “Yes” this is our women, wife and mother. Lastly her faith is GREAT and she fears the Lord. Yes, she is tired at the end of the day and rightfully so, why not, she has given of complete self to others and most importantly to her God. God responds, “Well done my good and faithful servant”. “Come and share in your God’s Kingdom, which has been prepared for you. Amen. Dedicated to my wonderful women, wife and mother, TC. Amen. St. Paul message to us this morning is to remember what we have been taught. Repent, ask for our Lord’s forgiveness and be on guard against the evil one, swing temptation around our lives, to sway us away from the solid teachings we have gained in our life. St. Paul reminds us to stay in the light, not the darkness of the world. We will be ready when our Lord comes for us, like a thief in the night. Blessed are we because we will be ready. Amen. Lastly, Jesus blesses us with the parable of the Talents. Talents, we all have them, but are we utilizing them to their full potential as our Lord wants us to. Remember when I mentioned a few months ago in my reflections, that it is NOT a sin to have “let’s call them riches”. Many out in the world think so, think that we who have are selfish, rude, have a lot of hate in our hearts, this could not be farther from the truth. Yes, these traits do exist in our world by those who have and those who have not, so these traits do not define what one has, it defines who they are deep inside. As Salina has mentioned just recently in one of her reflections to us a few days ago now, that we are all stewards for God. Stewards of what we have been given of from our God. Yes, we must All use all of our God given abilities to their fullest, in this life for the goodness of our Lord and his vast family here on this earth. We cannot let fear, worry, anxiety continue to way us down, to the point that we cannot function and use these gifts and graces bestowed upon each of us this day. Yes, I too have these fears, worry’s and many anxiety’s in my life, but I try to face them head on with God help in prayer. He offers help ad pulls this lowly servant up from his boot straps, back on his feet to fight yet another day. A day that is full of these gifts, blessings and much hope from our God. If, if we can execute effectively and use our God given talents to their fullest, not burying them in the fear, worry and anxiety in the ground of our lives, but sharing them with his vast group followers on this earth who are in need. I do not have to tell you this day, that there are many, in need. It is good sometimes to take risks in life, I have my share of them, but these risks are never on my own, God is always my co-pilot in these risks taking events. It is good that we have “let’s call them riches”, so that we can share, be good stewards of these talents and share with the many who need our help. The Holidays are right around the corner, thank goodness we processes the gifts and graces of our Lord, because it is our responsibility to be good stewards of these for the betterment of God’s Kingdom. “Well done good and loyal servant”, “Come and enjoy your Masters Kingdom, which has been prepared for all of us. let us today, be aware of our inner talents given to us by our God and not waste using them, but use them to their fullness. These God given abilities given to us all today for the betterment of others, must be used or we are nothing more than the servant who buried these in the ground out of fear, worry and much anxiety. Sorry for the long reflection, but I warned you in the beginning that todays readings were full, jammed pack with blessings for each of us. Continued prayers this day for all of the souls in Purgatory and those of this Living Faith Family. Amen.

November 15, 2020 at 10:03 AM

Amen, Tim! “Well done, good and faithful servants!” You and your wife :-)

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
November 15, 2020 at 07:04 AM

Thanks Terri for today's devotion. Using our talents for the building of his kingdom. The parable of the talents reminds us of our responsibility to prepare for Christ’s second coming by living a responsible life, using our talents and resources for the service of God, the spread of the gospel and the good of our fellowmen. Many of us are averse to taking risks in life. God will never command us to what is impossible for us. If God calls us for a task, it means that He will supply us with the strength. So there is no question of anyone being overwhelmed by his responsibilities in life. If ever, it is because we try to bite off more than we can chew. Prayer for all the living faith family members. Have a great day everyone.

david
November 15, 2020 at 09:42 PM

Mother Teresa, in her autobiography has told her sister's that "the devil is trying to make those of faith think that Jesus doesn't love us and he wants to disconnect from us. " For me this was a prophecy and I remember it when things in my life get hard to deal with.

Patrick
November 15, 2020 at 12:36 PM

Amen, well said

November 15, 2020 at 09:15 AM

Sham Peter Narine great comments talents being used for amount of money and those given to us. Praying for Dave and Lynne and Jackie. Living faith family you guys strengthen me in the morning. Praying for all of you right now Ken

Tim
November 15, 2020 at 08:42 AM

Sham Peter, thank you so much for your reflection this morning, you are right on. Blessing to you always! Amen

Annette
November 15, 2020 at 08:26 AM

Amen. Let me be a good steward of God's talents gifted to me.

EM
November 15, 2020 at 07:43 AM

Amen. Thanks Terri. Sham “like” your comment. We are here to be apostles for god’s ministry and all have been given a talent to spread the gospel whether by physical service to our church or community or through prayer. Prayers for all.