November 14, 2020
Lending Graciously
Well for the man who is gracious and lends…
Psalm 112:5

This line from the responsorial psalm made me stop. I was especially struck by the word “lends.” Notice, there is no direct object following “lends.” The psalm doesn’t tell us what the person lends. That caused me to reflect on the kind of things we can lend to other people. We can lend an ear, lend an arm, lend some money, lend a helping hand, lend a tool or helpful gadget. The list goes on.

Lending is important because it involves mutual trust. The lender is entrusting something to the person who asks. The person who asks trusts that the lender will say “yes.” Lending also nurtures relationships. It creates a bond between the two parties. We must remember, though, that it is often easier to lend things rather than to lend our time and attention.

Look around today. Is there something you might lend to someone else—even before being asked? If so, lend. And do so graciously.

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

Comments

November 14, 2020 at 09:23 PM

Gospel LK 18:1-8 The Lord said, “Pay attention to what the dishonest judge says. Will not God then secure the rights of his chosen ones who call out to him day and night? Will he be slow to answer them? I tell you, he will see to it that justice is done for them speedily. " For me things just keep getting harder and harder and I sense God's goodness in my life but not in my most difficult problems.

david
November 15, 2020 at 03:30 AM

From a different point of view the glory of God refers to his powerful presence and action. God is different from men in nature and character, so that he can do great and powerful things that men cannot do. When he acts men cannot resist him. He shows his glory when he acts in a way that reveals his powerful nature.

david
November 15, 2020 at 03:19 AM

Thank you, Salina. I really appreciate it.

November 15, 2020 at 01:10 AM

Romans 5:1-5, “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through Whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, Who has been given to us....... 1 Peter 3:9, “The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand slowness. Instead He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” Amen!

November 14, 2020 at 04:31 PM

A little boy from Mexico on a busy Brooklyn street wanted to give a homeless man, asleep on the sidewalk, a dollar, but was hesitant as to where he could place it. Seeing the boy's need, with God's graciousness I gently signaled the child to give it to me, an adult, so I could safely place it next to the sleeping man. It all worked out for all parties. God's graciousness abundance and generosity is alive and well. Thank you Jesus.

November 14, 2020 at 03:02 PM

Gayle LaPointe Respond to comment
November 14, 2020 at 01:35 PM

I've always thought lending was giving with intent of return. Giving is expecting no return. So I have learned something different today.

November 14, 2020 at 03:23 PM

Absolutely true, Gayle! Your definition is correct in the world. In God’s economy, it is very different :-) I don’t think the Biblical definition of lending will fly with the bank that we live in God’s economy, so no repayment on my mortgage or car payment, hahaha :-)

November 14, 2020 at 11:08 AM

Please lend your prayers to my friend's husband, Dave. He was hit by car from behind while riding his bike in our retirement community on Wednesday. He is in ICU with extensive injuries. He needs prayers and so does his wife Lynne and their family. Thank you.

BILL L
November 14, 2020 at 04:07 PM

My prayers are with you and your friends, Jackie.

kjc
November 14, 2020 at 03:46 PM

Jackie I will Pray for your friends husband Dave at Mass today (my oldest son and I attend Saturday ) . Ken

November 14, 2020 at 03:41 PM

So those ???? was a praying hands emoji. So the comment box doesn't accept emojis :-(

November 14, 2020 at 03:39 PM

???? (Praying hands)

November 14, 2020 at 10:13 AM

Good Saturday Morning to all of our Living Faith Family. Remember the month of November we pay extra attention to all of the Souls in Purgatory, so that our prayers may be heard and that they soon experience the presence of their Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in Heaven. Amen. In today’s Gospel we hear the story of the judge who did not fear God, nor the widow who came before him several times begging for justice. We might feel sometimes that we pray and we pray , but our Heavenly Father does not hear us. Never give up such hope, because our Heavenly Father always hears us, but his decision and direction for our lives will be disbursed when he sees fit not always when we see fit. This is sometimes the hardest fact to accept, but he hears us, he knows always what is in our hearts. Please believe do not be disappointed, know that your Father in Heaven will always answer our prayers. Dear Jesus, please hear our prayers this day for our Living Faith Family, that they may find peace in your presence. May their hearts, minds and souls be filled up with your many words, teachings and blessings we pray. Amen.

November 14, 2020 at 08:13 AM

Thank you Sandy an ours are right back to you as well an all those in need . Have a blessed weekend LFF ????.michael

kjc
November 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM

Tim Michael Sandy Annette. know that the Living Faith family is in my prayers. Every nine days I choose a saint to say a novena to . Today I am starting with Saint Anthony. In my intentions I mention the Living Faith and sometimes special pray requests. I will share the Novena now Saint Anthony I greet you, Saint Anthony, lily of purity, ornament and glory of Christianity. I greet you, great saint, filled with divine love. I rejoice at the favors our Lord has so generously bestowed on you. I humbly and confidently entreat you to help me, for I know that God has given you charity and pity, as well as power. Good Saint Anthony, meek and humble in spite of your great gifts, and whom we invoke so confidently to help us find that which is lost, pray, I beg of you, that I may never lose my faith, the gift that I cherish most. Behold my needs: (mention your request). I beg of you, by the love you felt toward the little Jesus when He embraced you so lovingly, to tell Him now of my wants. Remember how complete your happiness was when you held Him in your arms. I venerate you, glorious favorite of God, and bow my guilty head before you in humble reverence, while I raise my sad heart full of hope toward the throne of divine mercy, and to you, my intercessor. He who placed Himself in your arms will now fill your hands with all I ask of you. Obtain for me what I desire, if it be God’s holy Will, and I will make known the wondrous power of your intercession for the greater glory of God. Amen. Ken

November 14, 2020 at 08:02 AM

This reminds me of what Jesus said in Luke 6:34-36, “And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because He is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.” This is the passage that prompted my husband and I to lend to Jessi’s boyfriend (now ex-boyfriend :-) ten thousand dollars so he could graduate from college in 2018. We didn’t like him then, but Jesus told us to love and lend to those who needs it and do not expect anything in return. So we did with His blessing! What is the blessing? Jessi eventually found out he was a cheater and dumped him almost a year ago! But God is faithful, he continues to send us sometimes late monthly check of $200 (two hundred dollars) to pay off his interest free loan! So it is with anything else we lend: do not expect anything in return not even gratitude, appreciation or praises! As Jesus as our example, in Romans 5:8, “But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” So we imitate Christ :-) How do you lend (give) to those “porcupines?” Well, I think the key is what Jesus said in Luke 18:1, “Jesus told His disciples a parable about the necessity for them to pray always without becoming weary.” God’s rewards and blessings will outgive and outlend everything I give and lend, guarantee!!! Jessi received an early acceptance from the medical school of ETSU, 20 min from our current home in TN (now she probably won’t want to be so close to us? But God...:-) And because of this one medical school acceptance, it triggers the Air Force application process to proceed and she received an acceptance from the Air Force one week after. All her medical school and living expenses will be paid for by the Air Force plus a salary as a reservist while attending medical school. Her residency is also ready set go to be at the various sites of military bases around the world :-) We are grateful for God’s provisions before, now and forever! Not just financial but mostly importantly His presence made known to us so we learn and practice to trust and obey Him :-) Is there anything He doesn’t know? Is there anything He cannot do? Is there anything He didn’t plan? NO, the question is if I believe that in my mind, in my heart and in my responses? Lord, You are my guide! For I was blind, now I see! Amen!

Holly
November 14, 2020 at 10:54 AM

I'm very happy to hear the good news for Jessi!

CC
November 14, 2020 at 10:36 AM

What wonderful news for Jessi. God bless all of you and thank you Salina for your beautiful reflections.

Tim
November 14, 2020 at 10:00 AM

Salina, everyday? I enjoy reading your comments, everyday. Yes today’s your words are message is clear, crystal clear. I am cutting part of your message here. “””We are grateful for God’s provisions before, now and forever! Not just financial but mostly importantly His presence made known to us so we learn and practice to trust and obey Him :-) Is there anything He doesn’t know? Is there anything He cannot do? Is there anything He didn’t plan? NO, the question is if I believe that in my mind, in my heart and in my responses? Lord, You are my guide! For I was blind, now I see! Amen! “””””. Wow, as I mentioned several times, Put God First in your lives and you will be transformed. Is there any other proof we need that this trust in God as Salina has mentioned here. Salina has shared her personal example of trusting in Jesus with all of your heart, mind soul. Jesus is in charge we are just stewards of all his graces given to us, his word, the truth are the pillars of our faith. Congratulations to Jess, may her mom and dad’s faith and commitment to our Lord Jesus Christ protect her, keep her safe and allow her to do much good in the world in his name we pray, Our Father Who art in Heaven...... AMEN!

Annette
November 14, 2020 at 08:21 AM

Thank you Selena, and congratulations to Jessi may God continue to walk with her in her journey.

November 14, 2020 at 05:55 AM

Good morning Living Faith and thank you Sr. Melannie for your inspiration. Today, I am "lending" my heartfelt prayers to everyone here sharing God's word, love and peace. Have a blessed day! Sandy

November 14, 2020 at 09:44 AM

Thank you Sandy for your prayers. Salina great news for Jessi I am praying for her and the living faith family Ken