November 10, 2020
St. Leo the Great
Blocking Assignment
…eager to do what is good.
Titus 2:14

My son’s piano teacher was explaining the concept of “blocking” out a piece of music. Blocking involves playing only the basic chord structure, leaving out filler and grace notes and fancy rhythms. Practice the piece that way, he was saying—even memorize it. That will give you an unshakable security once you start adding the other elements.

It occurred to me that we can develop intricate and complicated attitudes toward faith—which is not all bad, is it? We are creatures of God-given curiosity and intellect. The cosmos is rich, and so our souls and spirits reach out to explore that richness.

But sometimes, we might just need to sit in the quiet and block it out in a simpler way. My imagination and emotions can take me to a complicated place. Maybe I should try to strip all that out and, as Paul reminds Titus, focus on Jesus and, in response to him, find security in a life in which I’m deeply “eager to do what is good.”

- Amy Welborn

Comments

November 14, 2020 at 07:41 AM

Be still, and know that I am God Listen. Alone Time with Him is A Wonderful Personal Gift!

November 10, 2020 at 09:36 PM

Thank you so much for adding the daily readings . Now it feels right like old site with bells and whistles an thee source of Gods inspiration an spirit . Thank you LF family . God bless you all now an always . :-) Michael

November 10, 2020 at 06:19 PM

God's Word is def. Not an extra, please post these life giving and life saving Words. Thank you.

November 10, 2020 at 05:03 PM

I found the readings at the end of the comments thanks to another comment. It would be nice to have them in a better location, but I’m grateful they are there. USCCB does not have the daily reflection video which I watch after reading the daily readings.

TJ
November 10, 2020 at 08:27 PM

Yes,they are down at the bottom it says: Listen to Readings and Watch a video reflection. (Takes you right to utube for that month. I get this sent right to my email from USCCB. Blessings I pray this will help you get it

November 10, 2020 at 04:54 PM

Amy, thank you for your devotion. It's just what I needed to hear today. My imagination and emotions do take me to a complicated place often. I will try to strip out all the background noise, focus on Jesus and just sit in the quiet, in silence, and listen to what He wants of me and be “eager to do what is good”, His Will. God Bless the LFF.

November 10, 2020 at 04:36 PM

Thank you Administration for adding the daily Mass Readings of the Day. LFF you'll find them on the Home Page of Living Faith Daily Catholic Devotions web page https://www.livingfaith.com/.

Chrissy Walton
November 10, 2020 at 04:45 PM

I still can’t find the daily readings even on the home page.

November 10, 2020 at 03:43 PM

thank you, Lord, for all our blessings. Thank you, living faith family, for your prayers for my husband, John. He is doing a lot better now and we are very hopeful that he will continue to improve.I know all the prayers played a big part in this. Thank you, again.

November 10, 2020 at 04:19 PM

Ann I am happy for you and John. Nevertheless I am praying a chaplet of divine mercy for you and John right now. Living faith family I will also include you guy. Please pray for the souls in purgatory and the president elect and President Trump Ken

November 10, 2020 at 03:25 PM

I love the devotional idea of blocking out the extra. Thank you. I found the daily reading at the bottom of the comments.

November 10, 2020 at 12:26 PM

Can you please send free daily quotes to my email and phone, private to you? Otherwise I love your devotional quote for daily focus on all that's good,holy inspiration, uplift etc. Thank you!

November 10, 2020 at 10:51 AM

Lord let your Spirit come to us!

November 10, 2020 at 10:34 AM

November 10, 2020 at 09:56 AM

Nice layout! I assume that this site is now secure? God Bless us everyone! Prayers for our Living Faith Family. Amen!

BILL L
November 10, 2020 at 04:47 PM

Just noticed that, too, Annie. Looks like they also added the daily readings. Prayers for all the Living Faith family.

Gina Barnhurst Respond to comment
November 10, 2020 at 09:45 AM

I loved having the daily readings. Please put them back on the website. I read them first and then the devotional. What happened to the daily reflection? I miss the content of the old website. God bless all of you i am grateful for the work you do to provide us with "Living Faith"

TJ
November 10, 2020 at 08:46 PM

website: https://bible.usccb.org/.

TJ
November 10, 2020 at 08:41 PM

Elizabeth Schmieder Respond to comment
November 10, 2020 at 09:22 AM

Please bring back the daily readings!

TJ
November 10, 2020 at 08:40 PM

November 10, 2020 at 09:06 AM

"Blocking it out in a simpler way!" This is exactly the perspective I've been focusing upon as the world, and family can seem so complicated. Danny Gokey expresses this back to God philosophy perfectly in the song, "Love God Love People."

November 10, 2020 at 08:58 AM

Thank you, Amy. It's too bad your excellsnt devotional got lost in the LF website change. You always have a unique perspective with lovely images we can carry with us thru the day. Faith is like music- beyond words to the unexpressed parts of our heart. And, keep it simple. Do good, think of others first, don't judge others...Amen!

Linda Homishak Respond to comment
November 10, 2020 at 08:41 AM

Where are the daily readings?? I will be extremely disappointed if they are gone.

Paul
November 10, 2020 at 09:25 AM

You can find the daily Mass readings here: https://bible.usccb.org/daily-bible-reading

November 10, 2020 at 08:36 AM

November 10, 2020 at 08:36 AM

Please bring back the daily mass readings!

TJ
November 10, 2020 at 08:48 PM

November 10, 2020 at 08:31 AM

I am trying to leave a comment but it is not working. This time I added my email

BILL L
November 10, 2020 at 04:57 PM

As you probably found out, Tim, (and to everyone) looks like you need to put your email address in to leave a comment. I did it without the address and my comment did not go through.

November 10, 2020 at 08:21 AM

As the saying goes it's hard teaching an old dog new tricks. But, I am happy that the site is now more secure. It follows a bit with todays reading, letting go of the old, sow new seeds and produce better fruit. May the Holy Spirit guide our steps, thoughts, words and actions to please the Lord. Blessings and continued prayers to all of Living Faith.

Mary Ellen Schopfer, csj Respond to comment
November 10, 2020 at 08:21 AM

Love the photograph, thanks so much. I use Creighton university daily reflections just before I read Living faith, so I read the usccb readings of the day early in my prayer time. It's no problem you don't have daily readings-- they are so available other places. I understand, CHANGE is hard for all of us, Especially right now with so much changed ( elections, coved 19, all that happens simply from living our daily lives.). I encourage folks to just give Living faith a chance. We all have to let go of something when we take on something new. PEACE

GHH
November 10, 2020 at 08:48 AM

Sandy, well said. God bless you!

Karla wessling Respond to comment
November 10, 2020 at 07:58 AM

I understand things need to be updated once in a while and this new layout is beautiful, but I use these devotions not only for myself but others also. The old layout was easy to screen shot and send my friends in doubt or post as a picture on Facebook that is easily read by any one. I'm not able to do that with this layout and I now feel at a loss, that I can't spread God's message in 1 simple picture.

November 10, 2020 at 07:29 AM

I was surprised at the new format but unconcerned about the missing mass readings. I have THEM sent to my email daily which allow me to read them without distraction in the morning and then when I have time I can do the devotionals later in the day. Thank you for sharing with all!

November 10, 2020 at 07:28 AM

Please include the daily readings. It was great to have everything at our fingertips.

November 10, 2020 at 07:11 AM

Hi everyone-it’s OK; the Mass readings are easy to access in the USCCB website: https://bible.usccb.org/.

Linda
November 10, 2020 at 07:27 AM

Yes, they are available but it was so nice to click on the link and not have to go to another site for all the daily readings.

November 10, 2020 at 07:10 AM

Please put back the daily reading of the Bible

Richard Powers
November 10, 2020 at 07:15 AM

Where are the daily readings? To not share, them with the world, is probably a sin in its self.

November 10, 2020 at 06:59 AM

This is a beautiful layout. Thank you! The daily readings are at my fingertips at usccb.org

November 10, 2020 at 06:58 AM

Make new website (https://www.livingfaith.com), but keep the old (https://www.livingfaith.com/devotions_temp.php)? Since they have different links, LF administration can keep both available :-) Thank you!!! https://youtu.be/gyTdVFa-Fws

Angela Harrigan Respond to comment
November 10, 2020 at 06:51 AM

Please put in the Mass Scripture Readings. It is by The Word of God that we are fed and His body and Blood The Eucharist. Thank you

Pam
November 10, 2020 at 12:08 PM

My two cents...I liked being able to read the Daily Mass Readings before I read the Reflection. It was very convenient to have all on one website.

kjc
November 10, 2020 at 08:16 AM

Yes Salina where is old web site. I miss the daily mass and reflectionc Ken

Ellen McCauley Respond to comment
November 10, 2020 at 06:02 AM

https://bible.usccb.org/daily-bible-reading - Daily Bible Readings

November 10, 2020 at 05:58 AM

Where are the daily readings?

kjc
November 10, 2020 at 08:21 AM

thanks got it Ken

November 10, 2020 at 05:56 AM

What is happening here? My prayer is that a “Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing” has not gotten to the ‘LivingFaith’ organization … let us pray to the Lord that has not happened. Please, please, please – return to the previous website or add to this new website what was removed from the previous one. Thank you for any time you may have taken to read this comment and consider what it is requesting. May God bless and reward you.

Alyssa Peacock Respond to comment
November 10, 2020 at 05:44 AM

I miss the daily readings!

TJ
November 10, 2020 at 08:38 PM

November 10, 2020 at 04:35 AM

Where is the daily mass readings?

November 10, 2020 at 03:43 AM

Where are the mass readings?

November 10, 2020 at 03:33 AM

New layout is cumbersome without links to daily mass readings

TJ
November 10, 2020 at 08:53 PM

Scroll pasted all comments and you will seeing bold letters mass reading for the day or you can go right to USCCB and get reading sent right to you email daily, plus you can listen to daily reading and watch utube video of reflections for the whole month. Blessings I pray this helps. USCCB website: https://bible.usccb.org/

Betsy
November 10, 2020 at 06:51 AM

Where are the daily Scripture readings?

Betsy