November 8, 2020
Lacking Heavenly Food
O God, you are my God whom I seek; for you my flesh pines and my soul thirsts like the earth, parched, lifeless and without water.
Psalm 63:2

There is a lacking inherent in our humanity that cries out for relief. Christ, in his humanity, knew thirst as well. “I thirst,” he said from the cross. And for relief, he received a rag soaked in vinegar.

To sustain us until we rest with him in eternity, he offers us the Eucharist. Thanks to the coronavirus of 2020, however, we know what it’s like to go for some time without Communion. As I was fasting from heavenly food, I found it helpful to meditate on my lack so that I could know some of the pain of those foolish virgins, locked outside of the wedding feast. Their hunger and thirst will never be satisfied except in the fleeting pleasure of unworthy substitutes for God.

- Elizabeth Duffy

Comments

November 8, 2020 at 06:11 PM

Not being able to receive the Eucharist since late March has been a burden my wife and I share with quite a few of our fellow parishioners. At first it was limited to fifty people chosen by lottery for each mass. Then the bishop changed it to 250. But our state began having an uptick in cases. We are both in the age and health group that are most at risk. We do the mass online and say the Spiritual communion prayer but we still miss the fellowship of being at mass.

david
November 8, 2020 at 08:48 PM

Psalm PS 63: I think of you (God) upon my couch (bed),
and through the night-watches I will meditate on you: or
I remember you through the watches of the night.

This means that our spirit needs constant remembrance and prayers to remain in us and for us to remain in a state of grace.

November 8, 2020 at 04:15 PM

November 8, 2020 at 03:34 PM

November 8, 2020 at 11:04 AM

How appropriate the Gospel is for today!
* Half of the people of this country is happy and half of the people of this country is unhappy :-)
* Half have oil and the other half have none...I suppose you can apply that to both sides,
* but I see it differently!

Having wisdom and oil (representing the Holy Spirit) has
* nothing to do with which party you voted,
* nothing to do with whose you like and whose you hate!
* It has everything to do with if you know your Groom, if you are waiting for His return and if you have the oil (Holy Spirit :-)

If you know your Groom, you know what is pleasing to Him!
If you are waiting for Him, you won’t be doing anything else but thinking about His return!
If you know Him and waiting for Him, you cannot help yourself but joy (Jesus, other and yourself) becomes your constant companion :-)

When am I closest to the Holy Spirit even though I know He is in me through my Lord Jesus? When I read, study and meditate His Word :-) Paul said it in 1 Thessalonians 4:15a, “ Indeed, we tell you this, on the Word of the Lord!” So it is with you, “you can tell this (whatever this is), on the Word of the Lord!” :-):-):-)

Wisdom
* resplendent
* unfading
* is readily perceived and found by those love and seek her

Me
* watches for wisdom at dawn, finds her sitting by the gate waiting for me and I shall not be disappointed :-)
* takes thoughts of wisdom and keeps vigil - the perfection of prudence :-)
* quickly be free of care because the Holy Spirit graciously meets me with all solicitude :-)

Perfect Wisdom of Our God by Keith and Kristyn Getty

No need to be unhappy (sad) or happy (unsad :-) about the election results...be grateful and ready for our Lord and God, Who is sovereign and merciful :-) :-) :-) Ready to meet His solicitude? I am.......

Tim
November 9, 2020 at 10:26 AM

Salina, after reading your reflection today on Sunday’s Gospel, it gave me such a feeling of inner peace.

I slowly read every word, and it calmed me, fans I felt at peace when I read the last word.

Salina, you truly have a God given gift, thank you for sharing it with each of us.

annie
November 8, 2020 at 08:36 PM

Amen!!

November 8, 2020 at 10:15 AM

“Love For Christ”

In today’s Gospel we are reminded that the Love we have for Christ cannot be shared, similar to the 5 virgins who did not share their oil with the foolish ones, who had better things to do than wait for his coming.

Where do we fall into this story.

Do we have better things to do than to follow him, put him first and most of all follow him.

He is coming again, our, faith tells us so. He will come with his angles from Heaven and choose the sheep from the goats.

Be prepared is my prayer this morning for al of us. Be watchful in our lives. Make sure we have enough oil in our lamps for life for his coming. Amen

Wisdom- Do we process it? Whoever process it shall not be disappointed . Dear Holy Spirit come into my life this day and kindly bestow upon me this additional wisdom, knowledge and understanding to your servant, so that I may continue to be watchful Jesus’s coming. May I continue to be blessed with this wisdom, so that I may continue to provide for my family and the needs of others. Amen

My Soul Thirst For You O Lord.

Continued prayers for all of the blessed souls in Purgatory this day, may they all be called home to meet our Lord in the paradise.

I offer my prayers to all of the Living Faith Family this day. May you continue to gain strength in your faith in hm, put him first in your day and follow his ways. May he offer you and your families much comfort with the crosses we face today. Know that you are all loved and support a special place in our Lord Jesus’s heart. Jesus love us all and know each us by name.

Have a blessed Sunday!

david
November 8, 2020 at 08:23 PM

Amen

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
November 8, 2020 at 07:48 AM

Thanka Elizabeth fot today's devotion. The gospel makes it clear, we need to light up our lamps and bring sufficient oil to wait for his coming. The light of the lamp represents a life of faith, hope and charity. Only faith in Christ can give us hope in life and it is this hope that inspires us to live a life of charity.

Lord our God, we thank you for giving us Jesus Christ, whose words remain living to this very da
Lord. Prayer for all living faith family members. Have a great day everyone.

Patrick
November 8, 2020 at 06:23 PM

Amen

November 8, 2020 at 10:19 AM

I do it at home anyway. With bread and grape juice or wine, I have my communion with my Lord and Savior :-) I was once being creative (which I am not), I cut the bread into small heart shape! I smile and He smiles because this is so personal between Jesus and I :-)

ron
November 8, 2020 at 09:20 AM

I watch daily mass and read the words about it being a spirtual and not sacramental mass. I have asked about having wafers at home that be become the the body of Christ by the words of the priest(additional words for the T.V. people). I (and thousand others) wonder if this is not allowed. What would Our Lord do?

November 8, 2020 at 07:16 AM

living faith family, thank you for your prayers for my husband, John, he is showing improvementand hopefully will continue to improve your prayers are surely helping.
Ann

kjc
November 8, 2020 at 10:22 AM

Ann I will pray for John right now

Ron try calling your church they may have Eucharist minister that will bring you the host. Also call other parishes they may have Mass where people are socially distance and the Eucharist is brought to people who remain at their pews, Good Luck. I will keep you and yours in my prayers

Sham Peter Narine I always enjoy your comments

Living faith family I want to share this Novena I am doing this week

Oh Mother of Perpetual Help, grant that I may ever invoke your powerful name, the protection of the living and the salvation of the dying. Purest Mary, let your name henceforth be ever on my lips. Delay not, Blessed Lady, to rescue me whenever I call on you. In my temptations, in my needs, I will never cease to call on you, ever repeating your sacred name, Mary, Mary. What a consolation, what sweetness, what confidence fills my soul when I utter your sacred name or even only think of you! I thank the Lord for having given you so sweet, so powerful, so lovely a name. But I will not be content with merely uttering your name. Let my love for you prompt me ever to hail you Mother of Perpetual Help.
Mother of Perpetual Help, pray for me and grant me the favor I confidently ask of you.
(Then say three Hail Marys).

Ken

Tim
November 8, 2020 at 09:54 AM

Ann, know you and your husband are in our prayers. Have a blessed Sunday!