November 7, 2020
The Sight of God
God, you know my heart. Help me, I pray, to better know my own heart as well.
You justify yourselves in the sight of others, but God knows your hearts; for what is of human esteem is an abomination in the sight of God.
Luke 16:15

It’s very common for us to define ourselves by our title: teacher, doctor, carpenter, engineer. We tend to think the more prestigious the title, the more successful the person. We often act based on our status (or our desired status) in the eyes of the world. We crave accolades, even after hearing the words of Jesus telling us that we cannot serve two masters.

That doesn’t mean that we cannot be successful in worldly affairs. But we are much more than what we do for a living or how much money we have. We are to act in a manner that is pleasing in the sight of God. After all, it’s not what we do, it’s how we do it. With whatever we do, we are to serve with love.

- Terence Hegarty

Comments

November 7, 2020 at 04:21 PM

Just what many many of us needed to hear today. Thank you. Take courage, be stouthearted, and wait for the Lord. Peace to all.

November 7, 2020 at 03:11 PM

November 7, 2020 at 11:16 AM

Trustworthy in every matter, which is God’s preference in our lives.

This morning I began with praying and learning more of others who trusted in our blessed mother Mary in their lives to reflecting on what God’s message to us is in the Gospel today.

Jesus told us that Mary is our mother and we are her sons. Then whatever is concerning us, who better than Mary to bring our prayers to her son Jesus. Who better than to try to emulate her live of devotion with affirmative YES, when God came to ask her for her service to his plan for all of our lives.

Through our giving we receive and through our faith in Jesus Christ we gain our humility and strength.

Jesus is letting us know if there are others who we find trustworthy in small matter, they are probably going to be trustworthy in larger matter. Also, if we find other honest in small matter, it usually will lead to being honest in larger ones.

Just the opposite is the rule of thumb, Jesus wants to teach us today. The ones who are dishonest in small matters are probably going to be dishonest in large matters.

Is our radar up now and do we know which one is the right choice.

Today, Put God First in your lives, come to the Blessed Mother asking her for her intercession for us in the small or large matters of trouble in our lives and bring them to her son. Who better to be our representative in these matters.

Prayers for our Living Faith Family today and every day, and especially this month of November let us spend some time praying for all of the blessed souls in Purgatory, that they may soon be reunited with Christ in his Heavenly Kingdom.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
November 7, 2020 at 10:29 AM

Finding tranquility in a stressful world. Many of us are seeking for peace and rest in this stressful world. When our hearts crave for so many things, for pleasure, for fame and for power, we will never find peace in this life.
Father in heaven, and on earth, quicken us by the word you have sent and by all you have done for us in your mercy and steadfast love.
Prayer for all living faith family members.

November 7, 2020 at 10:28 AM

Sharing with you my BSF lesson #8 for the students this coming Wed (I finished early as I am traveling to Relaigh, NC to see my girls today :-)

11/11/20 BSF Student Bible Lesson #8 Genesis 11:10-12:20

God’s Attribute: Guide
Aim: To learn that God calls His People and guides them in a new life!

Dear Lord, we are imperfect and we sin, yet in Your mercy You call and draw us to Yourself. You are our guide and You lead us to new ways to live! We give You our lives, make them new according to Your plan. Turn our insecurities into obedience in this world full of next best things. We love You, Lord! Be with us as we share the lesson You specifically have for each of us here at BSF. In Jesus’ Name we pray, Amen!

Introduction
• Let me ask two questions: Is following God and His Word a risk? Is going with whatever is popular and with the crowd safe? Think about them before you decide on your answers! These two questions represent an ongoing challenge or a test in the believer’s life!
• Our mixed-up and confused world commends us to conform (which means being the same) and encourages us to rebel (which can mean being different) all at the same time!!!
• Giving up what this world thinks is popular or valuable…appears to be costly or a risk! If following God risks this world’s favor and comforts, is it worth it to you?
• Do you like change? How do you feel about the change we have since the pandemic started 7 months ago? Do you look at change as starting something new? I am asking a lot of questions in this week’s lesson. Let’s see if we can find some answers…
• Valuing what God provides and rewards involves sacrifices! In Genesis 11, Abram gave up personal control and being popular in the world in favor of trusting God!
• (PPT slide #1) Our aim this week is to learn that God calls His people and guides them in a new life and His attribute this week is “God is our Guide”. Let’s open our Bible to Genesis 11:10.

Abram’s Family Line (Genesis 11:10-32)
• Last week, we learned that God stopped the people from building the tower of Babel by confusing their language and scattered them over the world.
• This week we started with a whole lot of names and years. It points to one person named Abram from the line of Shem, one of Noah’s son.
• Terah and his 3 sons: Abram, Nahor and Haran, lived in Ur. Ur was a city of wealth and power and idol worship. We don’t know if Abram worshipped idols or if he worshipped God when he lived in Ur.
• This much we do know, everyone sins! We also know as Mrs. Lisa said last week, “God is afraid of nothing because He has control over everything – even sin.” God is sovereign and yet merciful as Tony has mentioned last week even though Hem dishonored his father, but God gave him sons and daughters just as he did with Shem and Japheth!

First Principle Truth: (PPT slide #2) God calls imperfect people to be His people!
• None of the people mentioned we read about in this passage were perfect. As a matter of fact, none of the people mentioned in the Bible were perfect…except for Jesus!!!
• Even though Abram was from a family that worshipped idols and he sinned, but God called Abram to be part of His great plan for the world. God calls imperfect people to be His people!
• Do you sin? Are you imperfect? Then God is calling you to be His people! Where or what is He calling you to?

Abram’s Call (Genesis 12:1-9)
• Our memory verse this week is in 12:1-2a, “The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you. “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you;”
• God called Abram to follow Him into a new land and new life. It would be a huge sacrifice for him to leave what was familiar and start over in a new place.
• Even though Abram was imperfect and sinned, but God called him to a new land and a new life!
• How and why? God’s call focused on what God would do, not what Abram can or must do! God’s call to a new life would mean a deeper relationship with God and others.
• What would God do? Here are the 7 promises in 12:2-3: He will make Abram into a great nation, He will bless Abram, He will make Abram’s name great, He will make Abram to be a blessing, He will bless those who bless Abram, He will curse those who curse Abram, and finally He will make all peoples on earth be blessed through Abraham!
• What was Abram’s response to God’s call? Verse 12:4a says, “So Abram went, as the Lord had told him;” Just like that Abram believed God and said yes and he went by faith without knowing where he was going!
• In fact, Abram built an altar to the Lord in every place the Lord appeared to him during his journey with God as his Guide!

Second Principle Truth: (PPT slide #3) God calls His people to receive His gift of new life!
• What security is God calling you to give up, so He can turn your insecurity into obedience? Obedience in security is easy, obedience in insecurity is His gift! The truth is insecurity in this world is security in God! Let me repeat that, insecurity in this world is security in God!
• Have you believed the truth about Jesus who died to save you and received God’s gift of new life? We have a BSF brochure on mybsf.org website called “Am I Sure?” Take a look at that and talk with your parents. Share it with your friends and family members.
• God is calling you to this gift of new life in Jesus!

Abram’s Lie (Genesis 12:10-20)
• Remember I said earlier Abram was imperfect and sinned? Well, Abram and his wife Sarai went to Egypt because of a famine (that means there was not enough food) in Canaan where they were.
• Instead of God being his guide, Abram was his own guide arriving in Egypt. He told Sarai to lie and say she was his sister because Sarai was beautiful. In that way, he wouldn’t be killed as her husband and would be favored as her brother…
• Even though Abram and Sarai lied, but God, in grace and mercy, protected them!

Third Principle Truth: (PPT slide #4) God calls His people to depend on Him!
• The problems in our lives test our willingness to depend on God trusting Him to be our Guide.
• Have you let a problem discourage you from waiting for God to guide you?
• Are you growing in obedience in your insecurities as God calls you to trust Him?
• Do you know God guides me every day by His Word? That is if I read His Word every day…

• Conclusion – Do you choose to ‘play it safe’ rather than trusting God? Do you hesitate to answer God’s call because you are afraid of what you might lose? What things or person in your life seem more precious or secure than following God? Do not let a delay or bad news discourage you from doing the next right thing and taking the next courageous step of faith. God’s call to a new life in Jesus Christ means change – but God does not leave us to make changes on our own. With His Holy Spirit, God guides us personally to this new life in Jesus!

November 7, 2020 at 06:49 PM

Be amazed at the work of the Holy Spirit :-) It is not me who is teaching. I do my BSF lesson just as all the men and women and student do. But I as a servant of BSF, I am given a tremendous amount of support materials and a structured framed work to follow! It is true that the teacher learned more than the students. I'm an example of that :-) I learned so much each time I am responsible for the Bible lesson. Everything is free at BSF. No fees is required to be part of it. BSF depends on God's provision from contributions.

Tim
November 7, 2020 at 11:01 AM

Salina, I am always amazed at the detail and well thought out content to which you prepare for your students.

I enjoy learning along with them for free, lol.

Enjoy your family and safe travels to and from NC, hope it is not too far for you guys.

Stay safe.

Amen

November 7, 2020 at 08:37 AM

Todays alleluia sums it up for me. "Jesus Christ became poor although he was rich, so that by his poverty you might become rich."
The scarcity mentality leads to greed, hoarding of resources and winner takes all win/lose outcomes. Which are ultimately lose/lose for all of us.
Keeping everything in balanced perspective results in win/win outcomes.
The Lord created an abundant world with enough for all.

November 7, 2020 at 06:45 AM

The heart of the matter has always been the heart. Interesting...

Del/tom
November 7, 2020 at 09:51 AM

This speaks to my pridefulness. I remember when i first became a nurse I was
wearing with pride a charm around my neck that had the initials R.N. I wanted everyone to see it. That was over 40 years ago but there are times even today I find myself identifying myself as a nurse. Help,me Lord in this area Amen

Del/tom