November 5, 2020
True Servanthood
Gracious God, help me to serve you constantly in whatever ways you ask!
Look to the LORD in his strength; seek to serve him constantly.
Psalm 105:4-5

The Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy outline some of the ways we are called to serve the Lord: feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, comfort the afflicted and so on. At times, we may be called to mighty deeds—ones that fix stubborn problems, right systems of injustice or even save lives. More often, though, our acts of service are unimaginably small. We are called to listen, pray, be present and attend to the needs of others. Many of these actions will go unnoticed. We may not perceive their impact. We may even wonder if they matter at all. True servanthood, however, means applying ourselves to the task before us without any tangible reward—maybe even without a sense of accomplishment. It is washing what will get dirty again and keeping company with people who will not remember us. It is performing small tasks with love and humility as often as the Lord puts them before us.

- Karla Manternach

Comments

November 5, 2020 at 11:57 AM

Absolutely Amen! Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever.

November 5, 2020 at 11:38 AM

Amen! Thank you for this reminder.

November 5, 2020 at 11:35 AM

Thank you Karla for the inspiration.

Sometimes I get overwhelmed by thoughts that I am not doing enough to please our Lord. And by being overwhelmed, leads me to not doing anything.

I find when starting with the smaller acts of kindness, gives me the strength to do greater things.

Blessing and continued prayers for my Living Faith family.

Pam
November 5, 2020 at 03:24 PM

Sandy!
My heavy heart as well...I feel overwhelmed that I’m not doing enough.
That I can do sooooooo much more, and I don’t.
St. Therese, the Little Flower lived similarly in thought as St. Theresa of Calcutta ...
“May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.”

God Bless us all and all who we love.

November 5, 2020 at 11:04 AM

St. Teresa of Calcutta:
“ We can do no great things, only small things with great love.”

November 5, 2020 at 10:55 AM

Here is to true servanthood...
* First - Look to the Lord in His strength!
* Second - Seek to serve Him constantly!
* Amen :-)

I sometimes get the order backwards...
* First - Doing to serve the to-do-good list
* Second - Praying for help when I run into trouble and am out of my own strength serving
* Hmmm :-(

The reality is
* When I look to Jesus for the being, I am overflowed with His strength and service
* I can't help myself but to serve where He calls me to pour out the overflow
* It is not what I do, but Who Jesus is; It is not who I am, but What Jesus has done

Everything comes out of the overflow I receive from my Lord and my God, Jesus Christ! If I do not receive (Being) first from Him, I have nothing to give (Doing) out and eventually I bankrupt myself.

Paul in the first reading points to the same thing, Philippians 3:3, "
* (Being first) we who worship through the Spirit of God, who boast in Christ Jesus and * (Not Doing first) do not put our confidence in flesh,
* (The trap of Doing before Being) although I myself have grounds for confidence even in the flesh."

Tim reminds us of "Putting God First" daily, and all the 'doing' will be done :-)

Here is Paul's conclusion in Philippians 3:7-8a, "
* But whatever gains I had, these I have come to consider a loss because of Christ.
* More than that, I even consider everything (Doing) as a loss
* because of the supreme good of knowing (Being) Christ Jesus my Lord."

* Do you know this Jesus, the Son of God, Who came willingly in obedience to the Father and died on the cross for my sins and yours?
* Do you know He rose from the dead by the Holy Spirit on the third day?
* Do you know He is seated on the right-hand side of the Father interceding for you and I right now?

Here is what Jesus said about you in today's Gospel, Luke 15:10, "In just the same way, I tell you, there will be rejoicing among the angels of God over one sinner who (is that you?) repents."

Not What My Hands Have Done by Nathan Clark George
Amen!!!

November 5, 2020 at 10:27 AM

November 5, 2020 at 10:10 AM

When I think of the works of mercy i always get stuck on visit the imprisoned. Today I
realize with this pandemic we are all somewhat imprisoned. Call email write note to
someone who is alone not necessarily in a prison, but imprisoned in other ways. Amen

November 5, 2020 at 09:19 AM

Amen! I truly needed this devotional today. Woke up feeling weary this morning. Thank you for reminding me my prayers and small works and words matter. Prayers for all.

November 5, 2020 at 09:09 AM

Amen..

November 5, 2020 at 09:00 AM

November 5, 2020 at 08:52 AM

Repent and come to the Lord.

We are more valuable than the 99, because we were lost and now we are found.

What in our every day lives pulls us away of what is most important in our lives, our relationship with Jesus.

Let it go, repent and hear the words of our Good Shepherd and follow Jesus, even to the cross, knowing that he was raised from the cross.

Do not put confidence in the flesh, or worldly matters, rather what is most important, the word of God.

Spend some quiet time with him in prayer. Put God First in all we do, your lives will be transformed.

I am praying for our Living Faith Family that your prayers be lifted to Jesus. May each of you experience the blessings the Good Shepherd has in store for each us in our lives. Also. Praying for all of the souls in Purgatory.

Amen

November 5, 2020 at 08:56 AM

Amen, Tim!

November 5, 2020 at 05:51 AM

Matthew 6:1 International Children’s Bible “Be careful! When you do good things, don’t do them in front of people to be seen by them. If you do that, then you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

Patrick
November 5, 2020 at 10:15 AM

Great devotional Karla and well developed Troy. The truth revealed to children. Perhaps as adults we should curtail our egos, rationalising and intellectualising and accept the word of God with childlike trust.

November 5, 2020 at 10:01 AM

Carol Lia Tim Salina EM
Know that I will pray for you guys at Mass this morning.
First Friday tomorrow I usually say the stations but have doctors appointments will say them today after Mass.
Living faith family I get strength from knowing that you support the group.
Pray for the souls in purgatory

Ken