November 4, 2020
St. Charles Borromeo
Reflecting on Our Call
This one began to build but did not have the resources to finish.
Luke 14:30

As someone who enjoys baking, I look forward to trying out new recipes. Occasionally, it’s been my experience that I’m halfway through the mixing process for a new cookie or cake when I realize that I don’t have on hand one essential ingredient. That’s the consequence of not sufficiently preparing, not reflecting on what’s needed to bring the baking to a successful and delicious conclusion.

In calling each of us to follow him and be his disciples, Jesus cautions that the price of such a commitment is sacrifice, the renouncing of whatever gets in the way of a rich and lasting relationship with him. He invites us into the challenging work of discerning just what such a call involves. And then, we are further called to daily ask for the grace to follow through in giving our lives over in love to the very end.

- Sr. Chris Koellhoffer, IHM

Comments

November 4, 2020 at 05:38 PM

God is in charge, no matter what, Amen.

November 4, 2020 at 12:25 PM

November 4, 2020 at 11:29 AM

November 4, 2020 at 11:22 AM

Lord Jesus please help me to carefully study
Your word so I can better teach Sunday school.
Saint Elizabeth Ann Seaton
Pray for us

November 4, 2020 at 10:22 AM

Thank you to the Living Faith team for the beautiful written devotion and comments. Thank you also for the wonderful podcast. I truly enjoy reading the word, then listening to it and the reflections video. Altogether this brings forth so much understanding to us "lay people."

November 4, 2020 at 10:20 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

November 4, 2020 at 09:57 AM

Amen...

November 4, 2020 at 09:40 AM

I can relate to this picture of missing ingredient(s). In my case, my husband is the cook and we have two shelves full of spices in the kitchen. That gives me the picture of how we sometimes respond to calls of service...we answer every call without calculating the cost and we end up many, many projects in the work :-(

Talking about service, I heard this on the radio yesterday, "One Sunday morning, the pastor noticed little Johnny standing in the foyer of the church, looking at a large plaque that hung there. After the young man of seven had stood there for some time, the pastor walked up beside him and said quietly, "Good morning, son." "Good morning, Pastor," replied the youngster, not taking his eyes off the plaque. "Can I ask you, Sir, why are all these names listed on here?" "Well, son, these are all the people who have died in the service," replied the pastor. Soberly, they stood together, staring up at the large plaque. Little Johnny's voice barely broke the silence when he asked quietly, "Which one, Sir, the 8:30 or the 10?"

We need a joke here and there especially this morning!!!

The Word of God tells me this morning in Philippians 2:14-16a, "
* Do everything without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent,
* children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom
* you shine like lights in the world, as you hold on to the Word of life,"

Why? Because He says in Philippians 2:13, "For God is the One Who, for His good purpose, works in you both to desire and to work."

Put on the armors of God this morning as you face the bickerings,
* 1 Peter 3:22, "Jesus has the last word on everything and everyone, from angels to armies. He’s standing right alongside God, and what He says goes."
* Romans 11:28-32, "As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies for your sake; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs, for God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable. Just as you who were at one time disobedient to God have now received mercy as a result of their disobedience, so they too have now become disobedient in order that they too may now receive mercy as a result of God’s mercy to you. For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that He may have mercy on them all."
* Isaiah 14:27, "God-of-the-Angel-Armies has planned it. Who could ever cancel such plans? His is the hand that’s reached out. Who could brush it aside?"

I praise You, my Lord and my God!!! You are my Light and my Salvation!!! You are trustworthy, You are just, You are faithful, You are good, You are patient, You are wise and You are sovereign :-) Your plan for us cannot be thwarted and we thank You for Your love and protection for Your faithful in these battlegrounds! Amen :-)

Nobody by Casting Crown

He uses broken vessels like you and I everyday throughout history :-) So He does with government.......I trust Him absolutely more than I trust men.......peace comes over me!!!

Melissa
November 4, 2020 at 10:55 AM

Amen,In God we trust!
Love that song too!Pretty much says it all. Gods blessings to all!

November 4, 2020 at 09:18 AM

What does it truly mean to be a disciple of Christ.

We must trust in all of his ways, always, no exceptions.

We must not trust on our own understanding at times, but those he has left us in his word.

We must be content with what we have from the Lord and keep focused on him and use our faith to its fullness.

Christ Jesus and all his teachings to us, must come first in our lives. Possessions and sometimes other people will get in our way to what is truly important in our lives.

All of these will leave us feeling empty, and when we die they will die with us, but with Christ we have our promise of everlasting life. As you can see what the best choice is, let us be content with following Christ in our daily lives.

The Lord is my light and my salvation.

Praying for everyone today, may the prayers for our Living Faith Family be heard with much compassion today.

david
November 5, 2020 at 12:50 AM

Amen

November 4, 2020 at 09:15 AM

Sr. Chris,
Your reflection made me chuckle because I too, have gone for ingredients that I neglected to buy. But that is why we have friends and neighbors! There is always someone who can give me a cup of sugar. So too, in spiritual life. We can rely on our fellow Catholics to give us a kind word or a mini revelation to pick us up and keep our faith alive when we fall short.

Right now our kitchen renovation has halted because we found a very damaging leak that destroyed our floors, walls and cabinets. So instead of merely redecorating, our project has suddenly turned into gutting the entire room, involving insurance claims, estimates and double the work. Just when the whole project seemed to become overwhelming, I hugged my husband and told him that the Lord would provide. And He will. Faith is so comforting!

david
November 5, 2020 at 12:52 AM

Amen

Del/tom
November 4, 2020 at 10:16 AM

amen

November 4, 2020 at 08:28 AM

November 4, 2020 at 07:58 AM

I can recall decisions I have made in all aspects of my life that have turned out badly. When the smoke and mirrors disappeared I was often left with the empty shell of tinsel and shiney packaging and little of substance.
Patience was not a virtue I could name on my list of positive attributes. I can quickly mentally dice and slice information and arrive at decisions and take action fast. In my previous life time was money and of the essence. Thankfully I learned as I went and tended not to repeat errors a second time.
Now I place all my decisions before the Lord and put my trust in Him. The timetable I leave to Him also as it says in Psalm 27: 14 "I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD with courage; be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD."
He comes up with the projects too which are more about serving than being served. It's very rewarding, and well worth waiting for discernment. Thank you Sr. Chris a lightbulb devotional for me.

Tim
November 4, 2020 at 09:06 AM

Patrick, thank you for providing us with a clear picture, what it means to put all of our trust in him. Thank you for your reflection, shared with all of us today.