November 3, 2020
St. Martin de Porres
‘Martin of Charity’
Go out quickly into the streets and alleys of the town and bring in here the poor and the crippled, the blind and the lame.
Luke 14:21

Martin de Porres was born in Lima, Peru in 1579. When Martin was only 10 years old, his father abandoned the family. Martin became a barber and later joined the Dominican friars. There he learned some basics of medicine and was able to care for the sick. He founded an orphanage as well as a small hospital for the poor of the city and cared for them personally. In this way, he was able to support the family. Later, he felt a call to join the Dominican Order. His days were filled with nursing the sick and caring for the poor. He was also able to raise funds as dowries for poor girls so they could marry or join a convent.

At Martin’s canonization, Pope John XXIII remarked, “He excused the faults of others; he forgave the deepest injuries. He comforted the sick. As his biographer wrote: ‘Thus he deserved to be called by the name the people gave him: ‘Martin of Charity.’” May we strive to be as charitable.

- Fr. James McKarns

Comments

November 3, 2020 at 07:59 PM

Many are called but few are able to enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

Do we find ourselves like those invited, but many have excuses why they cannot come.

Please today hear his voice, hear him call each of us my name to come.

Let us put him first as we continue to grow in our faith and bring others to him.

I am praying for all of our Living Faith Family this day. May your prayers be answered and may you find the peace you seek from him.

In Jesus name we pray.

Amen

November 3, 2020 at 05:53 PM

Thank you, Fr. Martin, for your devotion today. A namesake I hope. I always enjoy reading about the saints we pray to each day. I join with the rest of the Living Faith family in prayer on this day.

November 3, 2020 at 04:09 PM

Fr. Martin, thank you for your devotion.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

I have also been praying and reciting the Rosary for our nation on this Election Day. What ever the outcome is, I know that ultimately it is God's will what ever it may be. I pray that no matter what the outcome is, that He will Bless America and bless us with Peace, Courage, Unity and Love.

God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

November 3, 2020 at 11:59 AM

Lord, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth.....
God bless America.
Our Lady pray for us.
St. Michael defend us in battle.

November 3, 2020 at 11:27 AM

Amen. I pray that the Lord will help me to always be mindful of those who are sick and in need.

November 3, 2020 at 11:26 AM

I believe everyone this morning is praying...at least I hope so!
So, I think of St. Jude, Patron of Hopeless Causes and his prayer we use at the close of each Support Group meeting at Church.
“Most Holy Apostle, St. Jude friend of Jesus, we place ourselves in your care at this difficult time.
Please help us know we need not face our troubles alone with you by our side.
Please ask God to send us consolation in our sorrow.
Courage in our fear.
And, the grace to accept whatever may lay ahead for us and our loved ones.
Strengthen our faith in God’s healing power.
Thank you St. Jude for the gift of hope you hold out to all who believe.
And inspire us to give this gift of hope to others, as it has been given to us.

God Bless us ALL, and ALL who we love.
God Bless America!

November 3, 2020 at 11:11 AM

November 3, 2020 at 10:52 AM

I pray that today the Lord blesses our country with peace. We need Him back in our country now more than ever.

Continued prayers and blessings to all Living Faith.

November 3, 2020 at 10:06 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for today's Gospel. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all. for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen

November 3, 2020 at 09:08 AM

Philippians 2:5-8 ,"Have among yourselves the same attitude that is also yours in Christ Jesus, (What is that attitude?)
* Who, though He was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God...
* He emptied Himself...
* He humbled Himself, becoming obedient to death, even death on a cross.

What was the result of Jesus' attitude above? Philippians 2:9-11, "God greatly exalted Him and (How?)
* bestowed on Him the Name that is above every name,
* that at the Name of Jesus every knee should bend, of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
* and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

So what is my attitude and what is my excuse to the invitation of Jesus? Luke 14:18-20...I must go
* to examine 'it'
* to evaluate 'them'
* to my newly 'married life'

If that is my attitude and my excuse, here is the consequence in Luke 14:24, "For, I tell you, none of those men who were invited will taste My dinner."

I will go hungry! Jesus invites me every morning to His Word...
* Isaiah 55:2, "Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength? Why pay for food that does you no good? Listen to me, and you will eat what is good. You will enjoy the finest food."
* Matthew 4:4, "But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People do not live by bread alone, but by every Word that comes from the mouth of God.’
* Hebrews 5:14, "Solid food is for those who are mature, who through training have the skill to recognize the difference between right and wrong."

On this election day, I will praise You, Lord, in the assembly of Your people. "All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD; All the families of the nations
shall bow down before You. For dominion is the LORD’s, and You rule the nations!" Amen :-) Psalm 22:28-29

November 3, 2020 at 10:12 AM

Red Letters by Crowder

For God so loved the whole wide world
Sent His only Son to die for me
Arms spread wide for the whole wide world
His arms spread wide where mine should be
Jesus changed my destiny

When the ground began to shake
The grace of God started falling
And I became a free man that day

Amen :-)

November 3, 2020 at 09:00 AM

AMEN!

November 3, 2020 at 08:18 AM

As a believer in Christ Jesus, I have the truth in God's Word to determine right from wrong - I don't have to second guess or reason or create God in my image!

I must vote according to biblical truth, not my feelings, nor social media, nor my friends, nor my family! As in all that I do, God wants my total surrender to Him and Him alone - of my heart, my mind, my actions and my vote!!!

As we seek to honor my Lord and my God by speaking truth, His truth, to this nation, I invite you to join in praying fervently for our country, for the election results, and for the Lord to find the Body of Christ faithful regardless of any election outcome!!!

Romans 13:1-3, "Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and they will be punished. For the authorities do not strike fear in people who are doing right, but in those who are doing wrong. Would you like to live without fear of the authorities? Do what is right, and they will honor you." Amen!!!

Patrick
November 3, 2020 at 12:32 PM

God bless America, I pray that post election dialogue will be used to encourage all people to work through the challenges needed to unite a great nation. St. Martin de Porres be a light to all.

Holly
November 3, 2020 at 11:29 AM

Amen. Prayers for our nation on this important day.

Sandy
November 3, 2020 at 08:47 AM

Been doing this all nite! Also praying the Rosary that our Blessed Mother as patron saint of the Americas will pray for our country to be saved this election!