November 1, 2020
All Saints
Making the List
Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven.
Matthew 5:1-12

Over 25 years ago, I wrote a book, Saints and Seasons, containing a short rèsumè of over 85 saints that we celebrate in the daily liturgies. Often, I scan the names of those saints in the table of contents, thinking of when and where they lived and what they did. They all died after living unique and holy lives and are now canonized, church-designated as in heaven. I have written another list of saints, not published in any book. These are people I have known personally who have died after living holy and inspiring lives of faith in Jesus. This group consists of family, teachers, clergy, religious sisters and many parishioners I have known from being the pastor in a number of churches. I have my own, private criteria as guidelines for those who qualify to make my saint list. At this time, they number 37. Occasionally, I remember another individual who should be on my roster. On All Saints Day and every day, I revere all the saints who have impressed and inspired me to live a better life.

- Fr. James McKarns

Comments

November 1, 2020 at 09:04 PM

Amen. I know I’m posting late but I am moved daily as Tim said so well by the many saints on this LF Family. I pray for everyone’s intentions and hopes every day. We are blessed to have a new Blessed Added to the saints Father Michael McGivney. The Knights of Columbus brought my husband back to our church at a time when he was not practicing. He is now the a Grand Knight of our local council and the work of these men never cease to inspire me. All you Holy Men & Women pray for us!

November 1, 2020 at 06:37 PM

Sr. Melannie, thank you for your devotion.

There’s only one real sadness in life—not to be a saint. But what does it mean to follow this path of righteousness? To follow the will of God, and God wills that we habitually direct our actions and thoughts to the good of others. Jesus says blessed are the merciful, the peacemakers, the pure in heart. Following Christ’s Sermon on the Mount leads to our beatitude; living in this way leads to sainthood.

When Christ is center of our lives, the “ground” of the soul, the soul finds peace, order and beauty. Make God’s will the center of your concerns, and your immediate needs, desires and longings will tend to find their place.

God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

Oops, I posted my comment under Colleen's comment.

November 1, 2020 at 05:33 PM

Salina, Sandy, Colleen, Sandy (San),

Thank you for your comforting and encouraging words and for your prayers. It is comforting to know that I'm not alone in this lonely life and that there are many others in the same situation.

I'm feeling better, and I do have my fill of things to do to keep me busy everyday. It's just that, My short and "out of the ordinary" visit from my sister, especially after she left, seemed to have stabbed me in the heart leaving me feeling empty, sad and longing for our normal family gatherings and get-togethers.

As time passes and I continue to pray and talk to God, I'll feel even better and I'll get used to being alone again without feeling the loneliness deep in my heart.

Thank you once again Salina, Sandy, Colleen, Sandy (San) for understanding and for your encouragement and comforting words.

God Bless you and I am praying for you also.

Tim
November 1, 2020 at 07:49 PM

Tillie, you are never along with us only a note and request below.

Please use us, then we feel loved.

Standing beside you, behind you and in front of you always, your Living Faith Family.

You are our saint.

Tim

November 1, 2020 at 04:31 PM

Sainthood is something I feel I've experienced in my world. I've been able to have lived among some of those holy persons who qualify as saints. My mother, my daughter in law and my granddaughter. Amen

November 1, 2020 at 01:19 PM

Sharing my life with ya'll saints here at LFF :-)

Thursday, October 15, 2020

Praises to our faithful God (emoji: two_hearts) Jessi received her 1st medical school acceptance today from East Tennessee State University (emoji: praying hands) She interviewed with Dr. Michael Ostapchuk 10 days ago. It went so well that he told Jessi at the end of the interview that it was the best interview he has ever had in his position (emoji: clapping hands) (She had applied for 21 schools, 3 rejections so far and 1 on hold until April. So 16 more schools to hear back from (emoji: smiley face)

Also Jessi told me that the area BSF team visited her Zoom class Wed night and she was afraid her ladies would be quiet. The discussion was so full that she had to skip questions (emoji: smiling face). Jessi was so excited to tell me that she subbed for a BSF class tonight and she shared with the ladies something she remembered her Mom said and the ladies said they would love to meet her Mom (emoji: laughing) My heart is so full (emoji: heart)

Friday, October 23, 2020

God is faithful and trustworthy (emoji: two_hearts) Jessi called and told us this evening that the Air Force has accepted her application and granted her full scholarship to attend medical school (emoji: clapping hands) She will be commissioned as an officer as early as March, 2021 depending if she picks a different school than ETSU on file?

Here is the Bible verse prompted by the Holy Spirit for me to pray for Jessi in 2020 in 2 Corinthians 9:8, "And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others!" (I started to pray for the Holy Spirit to provide the individaul Bible verse(s) for me to pray for my family individually for 2021 :-)

"Praise the Lord! I will praise the Lord with my whole heart, In the assembly of the upright and in the congregation! (Psalm 111:1) For the Lord is good and His love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations." (Psalm 100:5) Amen! (emoji: praying hands, two hearts)

Saturday, October, 24, 2020

Jessi was so mad at me that she threatened to cut me off her communication with me totally if I don't sign up for counseling and learn how to talk to her without treating her like a four years old :-( I just agreed with her Dad that she shouldn't overload herself by applying for EMT part time in Raleigh, NC, in addition to two other non-profit volunteer work that she has already applied. And she is already working full time for EPA research. Plus she leads an online BSF class with 25 members that she has to connect with once every week.

Anyway, I did follow through with all the paperwork submitted for counseling! And Jessi called on Wednesday, 10/29/20, asking about her sponsored child on Compassion International :-) She was pleasant :-)

Thursday, October 29, 2020

Jessi called last night and told me that all online BSF classes are full and there is a wait list :slightly_smiling_face: She has opened up her group to 25 members. She also shared with me that she had 16 new to BSF members last night. She sent them out into 4 breakout rooms to get to know each other and to discuss the questions. She was jumping around the breakout rooms seeing them not knowing what to do (emoji: smiling face) She brought them all back in the second half to discuss the doctrine questions of the lesson.

I am in awe how a 22 year old being used by God mightily and I also learned to stop giving advise just encouragement and affirmation because I trust God knows what He is doing (emoji: hugging face) Hahaha!

Will you pray with me that “The harvest is plentiful (all BSF classes both local and online) but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into His harvest field.” Amen! (Matthew 9:37b-38)

November 1, 2020 at 02:40 PM

Bible Study Fellowship

Maggi
November 1, 2020 at 02:01 PM

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. What does BSF stand for?!

Maggi
November 1, 2020 at 02:01 PM

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. What does BSF stand for?!

November 1, 2020 at 01:14 PM

November 1, 2020 at 11:58 AM

Tillie I read your comment from yesterday. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers this day and everyday as I lift you up to our Lord and Blessed Mother. I believe during this pandemic loneliness and being without family around me have been my most difficult challenge. My daughters and grandchildren are thirty minutes away from me yet in this time of isolation they seem a thousand miles away. If you have an Apple phone you can use "Face Time." If you have an Android, like me, you can use "Google Duo." It helps me stay connected to my children and grandchildren. It will help you stay connected to your family and friends as we endure this "Safe At Home" in our isolation. As Sandy said may this vaccine come quickly so our time of waiting and loneliness can end. Today our Gospel is the Beaatitudes. I have considered myself "poor in spirit" many days. The only one to offer me hope in this pandemic are our Lord and Blessed Mother. May they comfort you as they have comforted me. Love you Tillie:-)

Tillie
November 1, 2020 at 06:39 PM

Colleen, I'm sorry I posted my comment under your comment.

Tillie
November 1, 2020 at 06:33 PM

Sr. Melannie, thank you for your devotion.

God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

November 1, 2020 at 11:56 AM

Father James, after I submit today’s reflection on mine I am going to look up your book, it sounds very interesting. Also, you took the same direction, today as did our Pastor, Father Ken.

Who are the Saints in our own lives.

There are many if we just pay close attention around us.

What I mean, maybe not a Saint listed in the church record, but rather, that we experience in our own lives. The ones that are doing for others, out of sight and away from the attention.

The humble, the hardworking behind the scenes mostly in our lives, allowing us to live a fulfilled life, one that demonstrates, God First.

From heath workers, to church volunteers, to fulfilling the Beatitudes that we heard in today’s Gospel.

Who are the Saints in our life.

I want to put a vote in today for my wife.

The mother of our 3 children, very patient, and most of all very loving. Giving of her time so selfless and totally out of the lime light. Providing meals, prayers and support to everyone in need that crosses her path.

When Father Ken asked, Who are the Saints in our lives, I reached over and grabbed her hand, letting her know that she is our family’s own Saint.

She is my Saint, one to emulate, one to notice from afar and one to help bring ourselves closer to him, our God, the one we put first in our lives.

There are many others in our lives, if we looked back, from our bus driver of our youth to the crossing guard to maybe another fellow worker at our place of business.

Today, we are blessed in Spirit, enjoy it, embrace it and have a blessed Sunday.

In Jesus’s name we pray for all of the Saints in our own Living Faith Family, who there are many saints. Salina, Ken, Tillie, EM, Sandy, Patrick, Sham Peter, A Sinner, Beth, Pam and so, so many more to mention here.

Dear Jesus hear our prayers we bring before you Today and we ask for your blessing, directions and intercession in our lives today.

We need for you to lead us, for you to help solve these unsolvable problems in our lives, for nothing is impossible for you.

We believe, we love and we joyfully serve.

November 1, 2020 at 11:49 AM

Amen! My life has been blessed with family who have lived and who do live in my mind as saints. God bless this beautiful day!

November 1, 2020 at 11:28 AM

Who can live a holy life on his/her own strength without Jesus? NO ONE!!!
Who can become a 'saint' on his/her/others own recognition without Jesus? NO ONE!!!
Then who are those who live(d) a holy life and can be called a saint? JESUS :-)
* 1 Corinthians 1:2b, "to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints..."
* Philippians 4:21, "Greet every saint in Christ Jesus."
* Ephesins 2:18-19, "For through Him (Jesus) we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,"

"Christians are both sinners and saints. All human beings are sinners because we are born in sin. But not all humans are saints. According to the Bible, a saint is not someone who has done wonderful things, nor is it someone who has been deemed a saint by a church or organization. The word translated “saint” in the New Testament, hagios, literally means “sacred, physically pure; morally blameless or religious; ceremonially consecrated; holy.” In the context of New Testament passages, saints are those who belong to the body of Christ, saved by grace through faith (Ephesians 2:8–9). In other words, saint is another word for a Christian, a true believer in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Once we are saved by faith, however, we are called to certain actions befitting our calling as saints of God. “But just as He w]Who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: ‘Be holy, because I am holy’” (1 Peter 1:15–16). Saints are not sinless, but the lives of saints do reflect the reality of the presence of Christ in our hearts, in Whom (Jesus) we “live and move and have our being” (Acts 17:28)."

If you and I are true believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, we are 'saints!' And I praise God for choosing me to be a saint in His family :-)

No Matter What by Ryan Stevenson

No matter what you've done
You can't erase His love
Nothing can change it
You're not separated
No matter what

Who Am I by Casting Crown

Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of Who You are

1 John 3:1-2a, "
* Beloved: See what love the Father has bestowed on us that we may be called the children of God (saints).
* Yet so we are (saints). The reason the world does not know us (saints) is that it did not know Him (Jesus).
* Beloved, we are God’s children (saints) now;"

:-) :-) :-)

What is the key to being blessed? Here it is in Matthew 5:12a, "Rejoice and be glad (no matter what your circumstance may be), for your reward will be great in heaven (your blessings). Amen!

November 1, 2020 at 11:03 AM

Tillie,

I am praying for you and your loneliness. I also feel it too. I just put on a mask and take small and quick trips out to get flowers and plant them or to a hobby store. Puzzles are great too and help make us smarter! I also spend time online watching mass. St. Patrick's has a lovely one. And hopefully, the vaccine will be available and the wait won't be as long as we have already waited. My thoughts and prayers to you!

November 1, 2020 at 10:53 AM

It didn't occur to me until later in my life (maybe because I have more time) the people that influenced me or maybe would be in my personal book of saints. And, unfortunately they are not alive now that I may tell them how much they meant to me.

I believe we have to experience all of life before we can look back at those who may have done it differently...maybe more "saintly". Although they are not here with me I can continue to reflect on their Christlike behaviors and continue to grow.

A Blessed Sunday and continued prayers to all.

November 1, 2020 at 10:50 AM

As I live alone having no husband and no children, I long for the days when I was able-bodied and helping and caring for the folks at several different assisted living facilities and memory care centers. It was pure joy to go to work each and every day because I loved all my the clients and patients that I cared for. So many were there just for their paycheck, which is understandable too. Now I am the lonely one who longs for a caregiver and needs help with daily living. Hence, there are Pastors and fellow church members who are saints in my book! I pray for all the Living Faith family each morning and send Love and prayers to you all. Praying for all from all walks of life and vocations. Thankful always and in all ways to our Triune God! Thanks to all the Saints on this All Saints Day!

November 1, 2020 at 08:13 AM

Very thought provoking Fr. Kearns. I am sure we all can think of "saints" who have crossed our paths throughout our lives. This morning as I celebrated Mass online from my parish church I remembered my mother Lily who died on this day in 1996. I never saw her as a saint during her lifetime, in fact anything but.
It was a few years after her death we reconciled.
Over the intervening years as I have experienced the journey of ageing, retirement, and becoming a grandparent I look back on my mother from a different hilltop. I see more clearly the challenges she faced in life, her brave attempts to keep things together, her unquestionable love for her children.
Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future. Alleluia and thank God for that.

Tim
November 1, 2020 at 12:05 PM

Praying a special prayer for my dear friend Ken and for your family, Amen.

November 1, 2020 at 11:33 AM

Ken, praying for your son to get a residency where God has called him and planned for him before time begins, Amen! (praying hands, praying hands, praying hands)

kjc
November 1, 2020 at 11:08 AM

Patrick I love your comments I too look back from a different mountain and think of my mother, and my blessed wife who raised their children and kept the family safe , healthy and kind . All souls day tomorrow the birthday of my sister in law Patricia who has gone to be with the Lord 30 years ago. Sham Peter Narine yes life does not end with death. Blessed are those who believe and have not seen
Please continue to pray for my son to get a residency and for the souls in purgatory I will pray for the living faith family right now

Novena of Saint Anne.

Glorious St. Anne, we think of you as filled with compassion for those who invoke you and with love for those who suffer. Heavily laden with the weight of my troubles, I cast myself at your feet and humbly beg of you to take the present affair which I commend to you under your special protection (name it).

Deign to commend it to your daughter, our Blessed Lady and lay it before the throne of Jesus, so that He may bring it to a happy conclusion. Cease not to intercede for me until my request is granted. Above all, obtain for me the grace of one day beholding my God face to face. With you and Mary and all the saints, may I praise and bless Him for all eternity. Amen. Good St Anne, mother of her who is our life, our sweetness and our hope, pray for me.

Ken

GHH
November 1, 2020 at 10:40 AM

God bless ypu...and your mother, Patrick. What an extraordinary and beautiful tribute.

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
November 1, 2020 at 07:56 AM

Thanks Fr. James for today's devotion. The feast of all saints reminds us that our destiny is with God. Our life does not end in death but continues to eternity. We will join the saints in heaven praising god.Father in heaven, we seek you and your kingdom. Prayer for all the living faith family members.h have a great day everyone.