October 31, 2020
In the Footsteps of Jesus
Jesus, help me to follow you more nearly in everything I say and do today.
...and the people there were observing him carefully.
Luke 14:1

There's a sticker on my car that says, "Kindness is contagious." I didn't put it there. And there are times I want to remove it. Why? Because when other drivers see the sticker, they expect me to be a kind driver. And what if I fall short? The pressure is on.

The sticker reminds me that our faith is lived not merely interiorly. It must be expressed exteriorly--often in small ways. We Christians believe certain truths, and, as a result, act in certain ways. We are expected, for example, to be kind, honest, compassionate, forgiving, patient and hopeful. We try to act in these ways, not because we want to impress people, but because we want to follow in the footsteps of Jesus.

Today's gospel shows people observing Jesus carefully. Who's watching us today? Will they be able to tell, by our words and actions, that we are followers of Jesus?

- Sr. Melannie Svoboda, S.N.D.

Comments

October 31, 2020 at 05:50 PM

Sr. Melannie, thank you for your devotion.

Dear Living Faith Family, please say a little prayer for me as I'm sitting here feeling lonely and sad, needing comfort and encouragement.

I haven't had any visitors or company since the covid-19 crisis began, having to face this alone and by myself.

I had a visitor on Thursday, my sister came by on her RV. We had a wonderful safe visit outside on my patio, we talked and laughed, masks on, keeping a good social distance, disinfecting constantly, not touching one another. She did not come inside my house at all and she spent the night in her RV. It was an enjoyable, very special, but different and out of the ordinary visit.

She left Friday morning. Her short visit left me feeling lonely, empty and sad, and having to continue to face this covid-19 crisis by myself again. I am longing for our normal family gatherings and get-togethers once again but there will be none of them this year......

Please pray for me and all the other people going through this. God bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

Sandy
October 31, 2020 at 06:58 PM

Dear Tillie, I am praying for you and thinking of you right now! Since you can go online, see if your fellow church members who may be in the same situation as yourself would be willing to FaceTime daily. Or watch many of the online masses that are available. Do you belong to Facebook? There are many YouTube videos for exercise or crafts. Have you tried any of these? Don’t fall into the depths of self despair as it’s difficult to come back up! Maybe your church priest could work up an outdoor visit. Please hang in there and know that the Living Faith prayer warriors are here!

October 31, 2020 at 06:32 PM

Praying for the joy of the Lord to be with you, Tillie! Praying hands, praying hands, praying hands!!!

Joy by for King and Country

October 31, 2020 at 03:49 PM

Beautiful.
Thank you sister.
Our Lady
Pray for us

October 31, 2020 at 03:05 PM

October 31, 2020 at 01:14 PM

I want to be known as a Christian and walk the path of righteousness. From time to time I step off that path, but most of the time it is unintentional. I know I am not perfect and will make mistakes.

It is when I knowingly keep stepping off the path, that is what I need to work on to make me a better follower of Christ. I am thankful for God's patience with me and continue to pray for His grace in being a true Christian.

Continued prayers and blessings to all of Living Faith!

October 31, 2020 at 12:32 PM

Thank you Sr. Melannie for your reflection today. You have hit it right on the mark for me. Driving! I can be at my worst when I drive. (Confession is good for the soul.) At one point I had an Ichthus (image of a fish as a symbol of Christianity) on my car. I removed it after a sister in Christ saw my aggressive driving:-( I want the Lord to be reflected in my actions that other drivers may know by my actions that I am a follower of Jesus. I am still a work in progress when I drive. Praying our LFF have a blessed day!

October 31, 2020 at 12:27 PM

Good Morning and Happy Saturday to all Living Faith Family.

Today speaks loudly about humility, have we check your place at the table lately.

Keep your friends close and your adversaries closer. Jesus did this on many occasions, not in fear, but to meet his toughest adversaries face to face and have his perfect teaching moment with them. Jesus was and is always full of second and third chances.

Jesus’s teaching moment to me this morning in today’s Gospel, shows me that we must become a servant to serve and teacher to teach. What better way to expand and grown God’s church on earth, than to put both of these very important practice to action.

St. Paul explains to us his WIN-WIN situation he finds himself in today, in his letter to the Philippians.

I love this message, for if I live today we WIN for Christ. You and I will profess the good news with others about the life and death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. The Good News will be shared with many and we will live for Christ.

St. Paul also knew that if he died by the hands of the enemy, it would also be a WIN, because he believed like all of us that there is everlasting life awaiting for all who believe.

Be humble, a servant of Christ, and bring our adversaries close to us, so that we too may show them the way to Christ.

How difficult it truly is to be loving, forgiving to those who have and continue to hurt us. But extreme kindness and humility shared with them directly, sometimes weakness their extream pride of themselves.

Remember with Christ, we can achieve a WIN-WIN.

Continued prayers for each of you this day. May you and your loved ones feel today his loving embrace.

Amen

October 31, 2020 at 06:21 PM

Amen, Tim! These people, His ‘adversaries’ were NOT there to learn from Jesus, but they were there to observe Him so they could catch Him doing something wrong to accuse Him...which they did eventually and turned Jesus over to the Romans to be crucified :-( The Jews back then were not allowed to carry out capital punishment!

Just as Sr. Malennie described the car sticker, people who see that sticker are usually not trying to catch you in the act of kindness but unkindness...

Even when Jesus knew that they were there to catch Him on His act of doing something on Sabbath, He did good anyways!

So it is with me, with the help of the Holy Spirit, I will do good even when others criticize it or misinterpret it! This is so true with mother/daughter relationship :-) That’s what I learn continuously but especially last 7 days...but God is faithful! I did what I am called to do as a mother. Jessi finally called me and didn’t follow through with her threat of cutting off the relationship :-)

I love the phrase, “but God.......!” No matter what dire situation you are in, always remember to tell yourself, “But God...Only God...With God...!” And God will finish your story :-) because He always finishes what He has started in you!

Annette
October 31, 2020 at 01:21 PM

Amen. Thank you.

October 31, 2020 at 12:05 PM

Amen

October 31, 2020 at 11:55 AM

Words of wisdom. Amen

October 31, 2020 at 11:55 AM

Words of wisdom. Amen

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
October 31, 2020 at 09:12 AM

Thanks Melannie for today's devotion. Humility in today’s scripture readings is spelt out in terms of selflessness. A truly humble person is selfless in his relationship to god and to others. He is not focused on himself but on glorifying god and loving his brothers and sisters. A humble person does not focus on his position, his prestige and his privileges. He is at ease with everyone and he is happy wherever he is. He does not seek places of honor, praises and recognition. This is because he is very much aware of his limitations and inadequacies.
Lord we thank you. How often you rescue us from all fear and distress! How often you hear and answer us! Prayer for all living faith members. Have ave a good day everyone.

Annette
October 31, 2020 at 01:22 PM

October 31, 2020 at 12:24 PM

Sham/PeterNarine wow you are growing into a other Tim Patrick and Salina
Great comments inspirational

Praying for the living faith family I have just completed a novena to St Anne I will post later today
Please pray for my youngest son to find a residency in emergency medicine.
Please pray for the souls in purgatory

Ken

Tim
October 31, 2020 at 12:07 PM

Amen, Sham Peter- well said, thank you! Hope you have a terrific day!

Dan