October 30, 2020
From Pleading to Gratitude
I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work in you will continue to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Philippians 1:6

What comfort this gives me. I don't believe that we begin our spiritual journeys on our own, but that the Holy Spirit attracts us to the path through people and events in our lives; through great love and/or great suffering. For me, it was an emptiness and a longing that only prayer could assuage. Thus, the very fact that I am on a spiritual path gives evidence that God did begin a good work in me.

Having St. Paul express such confidence that God will continue to complete this good work in me always helps me take a deep breath. It boosts my faith when my prayer shifts from pleading God to work in me to increase my love for others to thanking God for all the love, courage and endurance I already have. Changing from pleading to gratitude always turns out to be the surest path into deep prayer.

- Aileen O'Donoghue

Comments

October 30, 2020 at 12:25 PM

Amen! Beautiful message. Thank you!

October 30, 2020 at 10:59 AM

I love Paul! I want to grow up to be like Paul :-) So I borrow his words and his prayer to you in Philippians 1:1-6, 9-11 (The Message),

"Salina, a committed servant/slave of Christ Jesus, write this letter to all the followers of Jesus in LF online, staffs and contributors included. I greet you with the grace and peace that comes from God our Father and our Master, Jesus Christ.

Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer. I find myself praying for you with a glad heart. I am so pleased that you have continued on in this with the Holy Spirit, believing and proclaiming God’s Message, from the day you heard it right up to the present. There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God Who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears.

So this is my prayer: that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush. Live a lover’s life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God."

Amen!!!

Only Jesus by Casting Crown

October 30, 2020 at 10:39 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

October 30, 2020 at 10:03 AM

October 30, 2020 at 08:24 AM

Thank you Aileen, a thought provoking devotional for me. On my journey I have experienced joy and struggle, fear and love, enthusiasm and insecurity. Haven't we all experienced the wide gambit of emotions and circumstance on our human journey. Looking back I now realise I had constant company, a cosmic gardener pruning and cutting back or fertilising and encouraging where necessary depending on circumstances.
I am what I am now because of my past I look forward to the future in confidence that the gardening of my soul will continue to the very end.
"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God" Corrie Ten Boom

david
October 30, 2020 at 07:33 PM

I sometimes wonder if God is seeing me in my situation but after reading the autobiography of Mother Teresa, the book explained that Teresa felt abandon for the last 50 years of her life. That Jesus was no longer giving her the encouragement that she so much wanted. In one of Teresa letter she wrote that she felt a overwhelming darkness in the last 50 years of her life. This gives me some sense of joy because I am not the only one that feels that God is not aware or not providing me with encouragement but as Teresa wrote in her letter that when we take an oath to give God our life it also means that we will feel the passion of Jesus' suffering.

david
October 30, 2020 at 07:11 PM

We are where we need to be at this time in our life as Daniel has indicated. For me it is hard to accept but my hope tells me that God is in my current situation and would not allow me to suffer beyond what I can handle. Amen. God bless.

Lia
October 30, 2020 at 10:50 AM

Amen. Thank you Daniel! "we are where we need to be" :) Sometimes I question God "Am I on the right path?" and usually there is a subtle sign or maybe just a feeling that answers my question.

Daniel
October 30, 2020 at 10:40 AM

A wise monk once told me, "we are where we need to be."
Peace be with you all.

October 30, 2020 at 10:08 AM

Sandy and Patrick great addition to the words of Aileen
It is nice to know that the living faith family is always there to encourage and support us

Ken

Sandy
October 30, 2020 at 09:24 AM

Great reflection Aileen! I identify with these thoughts as recently I have realized that my prayers have mostly been pleading. Since I have changed to praying with thanksgiving for the qualities I have been given, the wonderful blessings I have already received, I am much more at peace. Or perhaps I have been given some grace to accept things as they are. This has also helped me to pray for those who give me most grief and pray that I be the one to change with more love and forgiveness in my heart. As I look back on my life, I realize that my husband’s family were a great influence to my religious path in just how they lived their lives, very differently than my family. I’m forever thankful for them!

Frank
October 30, 2020 at 09:20 AM

Thank you Aileen for your wonderful reflection and thank you Patrick for your reinforcing comments.

JEC
October 30, 2020 at 09:17 AM

Thank you for a beautiful addition to today's devotion! Very relatable .... Blessings

Del/tom