October 28, 2020
Sts. Simon and Jude
Silent Moments With God
Lord, may I take the time to be silent with you.
Jesus went up to the mountain to pray, and he spent the night in prayer to God.
Luke 6:12

Years ago, while teaching at Notre Dame, I offered a lecture on Buddhism and silence. The lecture included ideas on how silence enriches our life. Right after the lecture, a student hurried up to me and said enthusiastically, "Father, I had the best time with my girlfriend last night." I wondered what this had to do with the lecture, but he continued, "We drove to a park and sat in the car for a half hour, and neither of us said a word." From his excited tone, I could tell that this silent interlude had profoundly affected him and had deeply influenced his relationship with his friend.

Perhaps, in a much deeper way, this is what Jesus experienced with his Father during his quiet nights of prayer. Perhaps at times, we have experienced something similar in our silent moments with God. It might happen only rarely, but when it does, it is a transforming experience we never forget!

- Fr. Kenneth Grabner, C.S.C.

Comments

October 28, 2020 at 04:24 PM

Interesting that Fr. Kenneth, you offered a lecture at Notre Dame on 'Buddhism and silence' and not 'Christianity and silence?' I am just curious why not give them the real thing? I asked that question because I grew up in a Buddhist family...I think I just ask silly questions because of my brain...good things my thoughts do not show up as bubbles coming out of my head or I will be popping bubbles left and right :-) :-) :-)

Here goes my brain again: What did Jesus and God the Father talked about all night long? Do you ever wonder? I do :-) I don't think I can 'pray' all night long, but I sure can talk to/with God all night long! Wait, praying to God involves talking and listening, so I can pray to God all night long :-) Wow, God and I can have a slumber party any night, we can talk, laugh, cry and sing if we want to!

What I learn from the readings today:
* Jesus is the bridge for me to connect with God the Father through the wisdom and guidance of the Holy Spirit!
* The heavens declare the glory of God and their message goes out through all the earth!
* There were more than just the twelve disciples following Jesus!

Elizabeth
October 28, 2020 at 06:55 PM

Salina point very well taken. Are you readers and prayers out there listening? Are we listening, are we aware?

Elizabeth
October 28, 2020 at 06:55 PM

Elizabeth
October 28, 2020 at 06:55 PM

C. Robinson Cooper Respond to comment
October 28, 2020 at 04:13 PM

Buddhism? Not appropriate!

BILL
October 28, 2020 at 06:35 PM

We must keep an open mind and heart for our fellow servants of God, my friend.

October 28, 2020 at 03:49 PM

October 28, 2020 at 01:44 PM

October 28, 2020 at 01:44 PM

October 28, 2020 at 10:47 AM

Sharing with you my BSF Bible lesson for our students this morning at 10am :-)

10/28/20 BSF Student Bible Lesson #6 Genesis 8:1-9:17

God’s Attribute: Faithful
Aim: To learn that God faithfully keeps His promises!

Dear Lord, Thank You for Your faithfulness even when I am not! Thank You for these BSF lessons to study Your Word and a safe place to share and ask questions. I learned so much about You in how You dealt with the disobedience, rebellion and rejections from Adam, Cain and his descendants in Your holiness, Your righteousness and Your justice. Now, be with us as we share our lessons learned from the Holy Spirit. In Jesus’ Name we pray, Amen!

Introduction
• Have you been disappointed by someone, who promised you something and never delivered? Or they have forgotten it completely.
• Let me turn that question around by asking you: Have you ever disappointed someone by not fulfilling your promises?
• I wonder how many promises are there in the Bible? Hmmm…
• This week, (PPT slide #1) God’s attribute is His faithfulness and we learn that God faithfully keeps His promises!
• God is the one who always keeps His promises. We see this about God in the story of Noah, that God faithfully keeps His promises.
• Let’s find out what happened after 40 days and nights of rain. Let’s open our Bible to Genesis 8.

A. God Remembered (Genesis 8:1-14)
• Now flood water has been pouring out for 40 days and nights. The water continued to cover the earth for another 110 days.
• When the Bible says ‘God remembered’, does that mean He sometimes forget? The answer is an absolute ‘NO’, this figure of speech helps us better understand God’s work from a human perspective.
• It means God was ready for the next step of His plan.
• God never forgets. He always knows everything.
• God is faithful. That means God does everything He promises.
• God sent wind and the waters receded, it went down, it subsided. (I remembered using a fan to blow dry my flooded basement one time. I wonder if it is like that?) Well, The Ark finally came to rest on the mountains of Ararat.
• God had faithfully kept Noah, his family and all the animals with him safe from the flood as promised.
• Then Noah sent out birds to determine if the water had dried up.
• Noah knew the water had dried up sufficiently to live on the earth again when the bird didn’t come back. Yet, Noah faithfully waited until God told him to come out with his family and all the animals.

First Principle Truth: (PPT slide #2) God can be trusted!
• Has anyone ever said to you, “Trust me?” Did you? What happened?
• By faith, Noah trusted God. How is God asking you to trust Him right now?
• It can be hard to trust God sometimes. God is willing and able to help you trust Him. God can be trusted.
• Do you have the faith to trust God that He faithfully keeps His promises?

B. Noah Worshipped (Genesis 8:15-22)
• As I have mentioned at the beginning: God faithfully keeps His promises!
• Noah, his family and all the animals came out of the Ark.
• Noah had God given faith that produced dependence on God and courageous obedience.
• He waited until God told him to come out. He trusted God to keep His promises.
• Then in faith, Noah offered the first recorded offering since Cain and Abel.
• Noah’s sacrifice declared that the earth and everything in it belonged to the Lord.
• God was pleased with Noah’s grateful sacrifice in worship and obedience.

Second Principle Truth: (PPT slide #3) Because God is trustworthy, we can have faith!
• Because God is trustworthy, we can have faith.
• Faith is trusting God resulting in actions of dependence on God and courageous obedience.
• We can have faith in God because He is trustworthy, and He always does what He says.
• Let me ask this again, Do you have the faith to trust God that He faithfully keeps His promises?

C. God’s Covenant (Genesis 9:1-17)
• God gave 5 instructions for how Noah and his family were to live:
1. To be fruitful and fill the earth
2. To rule over the animals
3. Permission to eat meat (sorry vegans)
4. But not to eat meat with its life blood in it (Wonder what it means because I eat my steak rare)
5. Taking someone’s life is a very serious crime before God, because all people are made in God’s image
• Then God made a promise to Noah, his family and every animal that were with them on the ark.
• God promised. “I established my covenant with you: never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth.” (Memory Verse Genesis 9:11)
• God called this a covenant. A covenant is an agreement or contract between two people or groups of people. In this one-way covenant, why is it a one-way agreement? Because God promises to keep the agreement, no matter what the people do… back in Genesis 8:21, God said in His heart: “Never again will I curse the ground because of humans, even though every inclination of the human heart is evil from childhood. And never again will I destroy all living creatures, as I have done.” So He knew and yet He promised to keep the agreement no matter what the people do.
• God designed the rainbow as the sign of His promise to Noah and all people that came after him.
• We can now look at a rainbow and remember God faithfully keeps His Promises!

Third Principle Truth: (PPT slide #4) God proves He is trustworthy by keeping His promises!
• God proves He is trustworthy by keeping His promises.
• God kept His promise to send a Savior to save people from sin and death.
• And Jesus is the best proof that God faithfully keeps His promises.
• Do you know any other of God’s promises in the Bible?
• One last time I ask you, Do you have the faith to trust God that He faithfully keeps His promises?
• Will you ask God to help you understand His promises and to give you the faith to trust Him?

• Conclusion – People and things can let us down, but God is trustworthy. Noah trusted God, waited on Him, obeyed Him and worshipped Him because he found that God faithfully keeps all His promises. This reminds me of what we are going through right now with the COVID-19 pandemic. God didn’t forget us. He always knows everything. God is faithful! Will you trust God, wait on God, obey God and worship Him because He faithfully keeps all His promises?

Discovery - Basic Truth

Where does faith in Jesus Christ come from?
1. Ephesians 2:8-9 Faith in Jesus Christ is a gift from God through the Holy Spirit!
2. Titus 3:4-6 We do nothing to earn or deserve this gift of faith!
3. Romans 10:17 Faith comes to us by God’s grace when we hear the message of the Gospel!
4. 1 Thessalonians 1:9-10 And turn from our sins to Christ!

Object Lesson on Faith

Rita
October 28, 2020 at 03:12 PM

Thank you, Salina, your classes help me to remember to always trust our Heavenly Father.

Lia
October 28, 2020 at 11:22 AM

Thank you Salina! :)

October 28, 2020 at 10:40 AM

Good morning everyone.

Thank you for all of your caring prayers for Patrick, this means so much to me and my family to see your outpouring of your love and support.

As you can imagine as a loving parent, we only want what the very best for our children, God’s children.

Dear Lord your servant Timothy comes to your holy mountain today on blended knee to pray and ask for your blessings of additional Wisdom, Knowledge, Understanding, Strength and the Courage for my son Patrick, during today exams.

Please Loving and Merciful Lord, look upon your servant Patrick this day and allow him to use all of his God given abilities that you have so kindly given to him.

Look into your servant Patrick’s heart today and see that you Lord, hold a special place in his heart. Look and see that this love overflows to others in need. Patrick has a strong desire in life to give back these gifts received to the many others in need of them. Dear Lord, Patrick needs to pass these exams to be able to share these gifts of service to others that he truly desires in his heart. He has finally found his calling in live, what I like to call his special place in this world. Please be at his side, holding his hand and directing his mind and his hands during today’s exam.

Our partying word to Patrick this morning as he walked out the door, is you got this, and remember you can do all things through Christ who strengthen you.

Sorry for the long message of thanks, but as you can see I love my son so very much.

Continued prayers for all of the Living Faith Family, may your prayers be heard and brought to the feet of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Today we all can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.

As Simon and Jude went out to proclaim the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ, they knew in their heart that they needed to share with as many people as they could the word, the light of Christ. This would end up costing them their lives, but their strong Faith has provided a solid path for us to follow. God’s Church was established and we remember today the ones who Jesus called to lead us and bring his church to all the lost sheep in the world, us included, so that we too could find our way back home.

Thank you Lord for calling St. Simon and St. Jude, may we keep a special place in our hearts for them and offer up our prayers of thanks.

In Jesus’s name we pray.

BILL L
October 28, 2020 at 06:32 PM

Continued prayers for a successful outcome for your son Patrick, Tim.

Rita
October 28, 2020 at 03:13 PM

Tim, Prayers for your son, Patrick. May the Lord be with him.

Holly
October 28, 2020 at 02:11 PM

Amen! Prayers continue!

Lia
October 28, 2020 at 11:21 AM

MLT - Marcy
October 28, 2020 at 11:18 AM

Continued prayers for Patrick today!

MLT - Marcy
October 28, 2020 at 11:18 AM

Continued prayers for Patrick today!

MLT - Marcy
October 28, 2020 at 11:18 AM

Continued prayers for Patrick today!

October 28, 2020 at 10:49 AM

Amen!!! (praying hands, praying hands, praying hands)

October 28, 2020 at 10:33 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

October 28, 2020 at 10:30 AM

Yes, EM, Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament is the most powerful and productive silence of all. I’m surprised Fr. Grabner didn’t mention Adoration.

October 28, 2020 at 10:14 AM

God speaks to me in the silence.
Have a blessed and grateful day LFF.

Patrick
October 28, 2020 at 03:08 PM

Be
Be still
Be Still and know
Be still and know that I am
Be still and know that I am God

Del/tom
October 28, 2020 at 11:32 AM

With this pandemic i've had lots of alone time and lots of time to reflect. I deal with a spouse who's ill and does very little talking which compounds the silence. As I listen to the quiet I can sometimes hear the word of God encouraging and strengthening me and become grateful for the quiet. Thank You Lord Amen

October 28, 2020 at 09:37 AM

Heavenly Father, look down upon Patrick today as he completes his PT exam. Bless the teacher who has given him another opportunity. Amen.
Thank you, Lord, for the good outcome of my daughter, Sarah's GRE exam to get into grad school on Monday. (This was her 2nd attempt). May she be accepted to the school for her graduate work that best suits her. Amen

October 28, 2020 at 09:52 AM

Praying for Beth daughter and Tim son Patrick I will go to Mass early and spend quiet time thinking of them and the living faith family

Ken

October 28, 2020 at 09:01 AM

Amen. Good morning LF Family. My weekly hour of adoration are my silent moments with God. I walk away humbled, refreshed and awed every time. Prayers for all especially for Patrick.