October 27, 2020
Loving Selflessly
In any case, each one of you should love his wife as himself, and the wife should respect her husband.
Ephesians 5:33

Ephesians 5 might be one of the more controversial passages in the Bible. It is often twisted and used to validate inequality, oppression and unhappiness. Wives should be subordinate to their husbands. As with so many verses of Scripture, when taken out of context, it relates only a portion of the meaning.

The mutuality and beauty of the covenant of marriage is summed up by Paul in the final sentence of this passage, clearing up any preceding confusion. If we are loving selflessly and unconditionally, respect flows freely, which generates more love, which generates more respect and so on. This results in an endless cycle of reciprocity and ease.

The only way to achieve and sustain this flow in marriage, or in any relationship, is by making a commitment to putting God first and above all. When we focus our primary attention on nourishing that relationship, all other relationships calibrate and align.

- Kristin Armstrong

Comments

October 28, 2020 at 03:41 AM

Very well explained Kristin, I really appreciate your message. My only thought is that St. Paul, also understood along with any marriage comes the fighting or disagreements and we can or might loose our respect towards one another and that's why the marriage mate should be evenly yoked.

October 27, 2020 at 11:56 PM

Amen

October 27, 2020 at 05:57 PM

Continued prayers for all the Living Faith family tonight.

Janice
October 27, 2020 at 10:33 PM

October 27, 2020 at 10:22 AM

Good Morning to all of you, our Living faith Family:

Thank you all for your prayers below, they bless my heart so much this morning.

Patrick, did not do so well yesterday, as he was so nervous that he read his explanation incorrectly and preformed the wrong procedure.

Bit, then the instructor clarified the procedure for Patrick and asked his what would he have done. Patrick answered her correctly.

Patrick, is up again, given a second chance this coming Wednesday afternoon, tomorrow. I know if might be selfish of me, but could all of you please pray for my son again, keeping him in your prayers, would help tremendously. I truly as you do, believe in the power of prayer, when two or more come to him, in prayer, he hears our prayers.

Patrick is the kind of young man who has found his passion for helping others, he loves working with the older population vs. working with the children. He see this is as his calling but need this one orthopedic class to enter his clinical process. Patrick has been on this journey now entering his sonde year after undergrad.

Dear Jesus, please hear all of our prayers here from my dear friends of our Living Faith Family,. Please come into Patricks, mind, hear and soul and best direct his efforts in learning tomorrow during his exam. Give him the confidence that he has you right there besides him every step of the way. There is much to do yet for your servant Patrick, please guide him along the path you choose for him. We pray, Amen.

Respond to comment
Many prayers for Patrick coming your way. Amen
Lia | Posted on:: 2020-10-26 11:05:34
Prayers for Patrick to successfully complete his exam today. God bless!
Holly | Posted on:: 2020-10-26 11:34:02
I pray for Patirck as I did for a 9th grader this past Friday for her IS exam:

"Praying for you, Patrick for your PT Tech examination this morning! (Praying hands) That you will say with confidence that the Lord is your helper and you will not be afraid or distracted by the timer or questions as you take the exam. (Hebrews 13:6) So do not fear, for the Holy Spirit is with you; do not be dismayed, for He is your God. Hw will strengthen you and help you; He will uphold you with His righteous right hand as you take your exam. (Isaiah 41:10). In Jesus powerful Name, we (the Holy Spirit and I) pray, Amen! (Praying hands)

The 9th grader got a 48 over 50! (hearts and clapping hands) Praise You Lord Jesus Christ, Who builds her faith and trust in You in answering her prayers :-) So it is with Patrick that You answer his prayer to build his faith and trust in You :-)
Salina | Posted on:: 2020-10-26 11:37:50
Prayers for your son Patrick this morning Tim. May the Lord give him all the wisdom and knowledge he needs to do extremely well on this exam.
Colleen | Posted on:: 2020-10-26 11:47:39
Tim, I will pray for your son.
Sandy | Posted on:: 2020-10-26 12:17:10
Praying for Patrick and Colleen snow for Colorado and the living faith family I will pray the scriptural rosary for all of you guys right now
Also for the souls in purgatory. Salina she knows you love her and that you are a good person and an inspiration to the living faith family.
Rosary will be for you and yours

Ken
Kjc | Posted on:: 2020-10-26 13:06:25
Tim, I have said a prayer for your son Patrick. I have asked God that He will allow Patrick to have a clear mind, and remove his anxiety. I've prayed that your son will have a successful PT Tech examination this morning.
Tillie | Posted on:: 2020-10-26 15:27:41
Praying tonight for Patrick, Tim.
BILL | Posted on:: 2020-10-26 18:12:01

Mike E
October 27, 2020 at 01:32 PM

Prayers for Patrick’s success with God’s help.

Holly
October 27, 2020 at 12:45 PM

Continued prayers for Patrick.

Faith
October 27, 2020 at 11:58 AM

Praying for Patrick today..and again tomorrow.

October 27, 2020 at 10:22 AM

October 27, 2020 at 10:11 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen

October 27, 2020 at 09:44 AM

Yes indeed this is an often misquoted and misunderstood passage of scripture. Arriving at a place where it is fully understood is a journey paralleled with arriving at a point of unconditional love in a marriage or relationship. In my experience this devotional sums it up perfectly. Thank you Kristin.
My wife Marian and I thank God every day that we did put Him first in our lives and he sent us the help we needed to negotiate a challenging but rewarding journey. In life we need guides from time to time it's a strength not a weakness to accept the help. www.retrouvaille.org

Colleen
October 27, 2020 at 02:09 PM

Thank you Kristin for your reflection this morning. You are correct Ephesians 5 is one of the most misquoted and taken out of context scriptures ever. The marriage covenant is beautiful to behold when husbands and wives have a covenant with our Lord. "Though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him - and a threefold cord is not quickly broken. " Ecclesiastes 4:12

Yes Patrick Retrouvaille is a God send to couples who need extra help. I know from personal experience!

Tim I will lift Patrick up in prayer today. I pray the Lord multiply his wisdom and knowledge and give him discernment to know every answer needed for his PT exam.

Continuing to pray for the souls in Purgatory. Praise be to our Lord the snow in Colorado yesterday took a huge bite out of our wildfires Thank You Lord!

MLT - Marcy
October 27, 2020 at 10:18 AM

Ken, I am praying for you. May God bless you and keep you and your family in His loving embrace.

Tim
October 27, 2020 at 10:10 AM

Patrick, well said.

I would always chuckle and discuss this passages with my wife, but never meaning anything behind it.

I look at marriage and our union as one. One that should last for a life time Committed to the good times and the not so good times.

Two as one, because when life has it ups and its downs, trust me it is always better that there are two of us vs. one.

If we are to love as Christ love, it is pretty much summed up right there. This true love for one another is selfless, forgiving, patient, overflowing, compassionate and most of all is never ending.

As we heard in this past week’s Sunday’s Gospel, this Love for one another sums up all types of love.

Love others as Christ loves us, there is no perfect love to display that this for one another.

I am truly blessed this day to share my love everyday with my best friend, my wife of 30+ years. I know as we grow older together, we will have new challenges, but there is no better friend to go through it than her.

Blessings to all of you my Living Faith Family. Dear Jesus her our prayers we bring to you this day, may we continue to learn from your ways, and teachings this say and everyday.

October 27, 2020 at 10:02 AM

Patrick I know that you and Marian have a wonderful marriage. I also love your comment and reflection.
Living faith family yesterday was the 13th anniversary of the day my wife and bestfriend went to be with the Lord
Please pray for me and my family and for me to have strength to help them.
Thinking of you at Mass this morning and when I return home I will pray for you guys.
Ken