October 23, 2020
St. John of Capistrano
Longing to See You
Lord Jesus, I know that you love me. May I never take your sacraments for granted.
Lord, this is the people that longs to see your face.
Psalm 24:6 (responsorial)

During the Cold War, my father often reminded me that there were people in communist countries who longed to go to Mass but could not because of the repressive restrictions of their government. That seemed like such a faraway concern to me as a young man.

But, beginning about six months ago, millions of Catholics around the world were left longing to see the face of Jesus in the form of the Blessed Sacrament as the coronavirus pandemic closed our churches.

As this issue of [i]Living Faith[/i] goes to press, we can only speculate what will be happening in October. But whatever we will be facing, whether we will be able to receive Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament or not, we can strive to see Jesus in the faces of our loved ones, the face of the convenience store clerk or even, perhaps most difficult of all, the face looking back at us from the mirror.

- Terence Hegarty

Comments

October 23, 2020 at 07:09 PM

Thank you, Terence. As we wait for safer times, it is still a comfort to know we can watch from home. We have an altar, candles and holy water set up to make it feel somewhat normal. Prayers to all in need of prayers in our Living Faith family.

October 23, 2020 at 06:12 PM

Terence, thank you for your beautiful devotion.

Today's Scripture Reading has to do with living in a manner worthy of the call we have received.

Throughout my life I have fought the life that Jesus has given me. I have tried to take control and make and do things different in order to change my life. But, despite all my complaining, fighting for change and wanting to take control, I always end up here, where and who: living alone, responsible for me, myself and I, (and my puppy).

"The Life that God has given me, "is my calling from the Lord". I have to stop fighting and instead accept my calling and “live a life worthy” of His call. "I am a prisoner for the Lord" and I long to see his face, "in the faces of our loved ones, others, or perhaps most difficult of all, the face looking back at me from the mirror".

God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

October 23, 2020 at 10:52 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

October 23, 2020 at 10:24 AM

I see the face of Jesus in all of the Living Faith family every morning!

I need to remember during the day to look for the face of Jesus in all things, people and myself, especially when life gets complicated or busy.

A blessed day and continued prayers for all.

October 23, 2020 at 10:20 AM

Thank you Terrence. You are so right! Lord, in these difficult times help us to see you in every person that we meet. Amen

October 23, 2020 at 10:17 AM

October 23, 2020 at 09:54 AM

Such a timely devotion today! I cried as I watched Easter mass on line-a mass where no one was there but the celebrating priest! That longing was heartbreaking but, as stated by Terrance, a new appreciation for the Eucharist which I had previously taken for granted awoke in me. Blessed be the Lord!

Patrick
October 23, 2020 at 10:13 AM

Amen,

Del/tom
October 23, 2020 at 10:10 AM

Amen I agree, fortunately I have been able to attend Mass and maintain social distance and receive the precious Body of Christ. It is truly a blessing and helps
me through.

Linda E. Major Respond to comment
October 23, 2020 at 08:56 AM

As a cradle Catholic, I always longed for the feeling that converts seemed to have when receiving Jesus in the Eucharist. But when the pandemic struck and churches were closed, I felt that longing! Sometimes we need a tragedy to renew our faith. Now I tearfully approach Jesus each time I go to mass. It is wonderful!

Mother Teresa always said that she saw the face of Jesus in each person she met. What a beautiful way to go through life! And none of us now where or when we will come face to face with Jesus!

Blessings Living Faith Family!

david
October 24, 2020 at 05:24 AM

Mother Teresa, explains in her autobiography that Jesus said to her, "I thirst" meaning that Jesus is asking us for our love to give to him and to those who are poor and marginalized.

October 23, 2020 at 08:44 AM

Amen. I return to my hour of adoration tomorrow for the first time since March. While I’m looking forward to resuming my heart is sad thinking of the adorer who followed my hour for years who passed a month ago. I will miss hearing her keys jangle as she entered church and our little weekly conversations. Prayers for all and especially the souls who have gone before us.

Tillie
October 23, 2020 at 01:58 PM

EM, I'm sorry for the loss of your "adorer" friend that has passed away. Prayers for her soul and comfort for you.

October 23, 2020 at 05:36 AM

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

Tillie