October 17, 2020
St. Ignatius of Antioch
Spiritual Eye Doctor
May the eyes of your hearts be enlightened, that you may know what is the hope that belongs to his call...
Ephesians 1:18

For as long as I can remember, I have struggled to see. Due to poor eyesight, my childhood memories are cloudy with blurry lines. As an adult, I frequently give thanks to God for corrective lenses that allow me to see the world with crispness and clarity.

Yet I wonder: [i]What are the "eyes of my heart" seeing? Where is my gaze fixed? How might my spiritual vision become clearer if I allowed God to be my spiritual eye doctor?[/i]

Perhaps, by God's grace, I could see the right order of things. Hopefully, as my trust in God's authority increases, I will more fully appreciate the beauty of God's designs.

- Sr. Julia Walsh, F.S.P.A.

Comments

October 17, 2020 at 01:40 PM

October 17, 2020 at 11:56 AM

October 17, 2020 at 11:30 AM

* Who is the corrective lenses for the eyes of my heart? God the Son, Jesus Christ (His Word)!
* Who is my spiritual vision? God the Holy Spirit!
* Who is my spiritual doctor? God the Father!

Do you bother by the Gospel today in Luke 12:10, "Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man (Jesus) will be forgiven, but the one who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven."

Wow, no forgiveness for this one sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit and blasphemy again Jesus will be forgiven? What does it mean? Have I committed it? Is my eternal Salvation taken away when I commit this sin? Can Christian commit this sin? You know, the questions can keep going...How can I be sure of my Salvation?

These are the Scriptures to consider:
* Luke 12:8-10 (today's reading)
* Matthew 12:22-32
* Mark 3:22-30

My takeaways:
* "Christians can commit all kinds of sin, but what marks a Christian is that they don’t settle in long term. They hate it and they repent of it. They feel bad about it. They turn to God for fresh forgiveness. So no, a Christian cannot commit what Jesus calls blasphemy against the Holy Spirit."
* "Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit has to do with accusing Jesus Christ of being demon-possessed instead of Spirit-filled...the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit cannot be repeated today, although some people try. Jesus Christ is not on earth—He is seated at the right hand of God. No one can personally witness Jesus performing a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit."
* My blessed assurance - John 6:40, "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who looks on the Son (Jesus) and believes in Him should have eternal life, and I (Jesus) will raise him up on the last day.” Also read Acts 16:31 and Romans 10:9-10 :-)

Yes, Lord Jesus! The Spirit of truth will testify to You, and I also will testify to you and about You to others. Come Holy Spirit, come! I adore You!!!

We Believe by Newsboys

October 17, 2020 at 10:24 AM

Amen. Open my eyes Lord help me to see...

October 17, 2020 at 10:24 AM

Amen. Open my eyes Lord help me to see...

October 17, 2020 at 10:08 AM

October 17, 2020 at 10:06 AM

Amen

October 17, 2020 at 09:12 AM

Amen...

Sham Peter Narine Respond to comment
October 17, 2020 at 08:33 AM

Thanks Sr. Julia for today's devotion. Often God's call is to follow in paths we would not have chosen. Lord keep our hearts steadfast, free of all human wavering. Prayer for all living faith family members.have a great day everyone.

david