Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
August 7, 2020
St. Sixtus II and Companions; St. Cajetan
Accentuate the Positive
Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?"
Matthew 16:24-26
My Spanish student of a son made an interesting discovery: slipping into a character improved his accent, fluency and confidence. By taking on a role, and speaking as a random Honduran or Mexican guy, improved his accent dramatically. The life of a disciple, which, we are promised, involves sacrifice and suffering, seems impossible sometimes. St. Paul reminds us how it becomes possible: by becoming. In baptism, we took on the character of Christ. As Paul says, daily we conform ourselves, we take on the mind of Christ. We let him fill us. Losing ourselves, taking on the character of Christ, we become fluent in this real Christian life.
Jesus, conform my heart and soul to yours so I might carry my cross as you did, with love.

- Amy Welborn

Nahum 2:1, 3; 3:1-3, 6-7|Deuteronomy 32:35-36, 39, 41|Matthew 16:24-28

Comments

August 7, 2020 at 07:26 PM

Amy, thank you for your devotion.

"Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me".

The best thing we can do is deny ourselves and get down to the job we are fitted for, the job of "cross-bearing". Some of us may not like the job, but by God’s grace and help, we can do it well. It’s difficult, but with belief and trust in our Lord, we can do the job faithfully.

God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all.

August 7, 2020 at 08:56 AM

Carrying the cross, how heavy is it today, do you need a helping hand. There is help right around the corner, at least you pick up your cross. This is always said to be the hardest part, is to realize our crosse, accept them and have our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ help us through them.

Remember with Christ we can do all things, through him who strengthens us.

Without him a part of our lives, feeling we do not need his help, we will fail every time.

Learn that he suffered on his cross for us, it would be just a darn shame if we did not realize the suffering he endured for each of, so that we may have his everlasting life.

Jesus comes to us with a newness of Spirit and wonderful Joy each day. He freed us from the tomb when he rose from the dead. He is the giver of life and judge of our lives at the end.

Blessed are we who pick up that first cross in our lives, which gets in the way of our true salvation with Christ.

Blessed are we who have Christ in our hearts.

Continued prayers for each of our Living Faith Family.

Amen

Barbara
August 8, 2020 at 03:28 AM

Thank you, Tim, for your thoughts and words! The Lord bless us all during these dangerous times. He will if we but follow him! Help us, Lord, to listen for your voice. Prayers for all. Amen

August 7, 2020 at 08:19 AM

How do one take on a character in a movie? They researched, they studied and they took on the weght and appearance of the character!!! We can look to movies how the actors took on a character they portrayed on the screen. The ones who won awards are the ones that didn't take off the character during everyday life!

* I research the character of Christ by reading the Bible
* I study the character of Christ by readng the Bible and asking questions of those who know Christ
* I take on the weight and appearance of Christ by reading the Bible, asking questions of those who know Christ and living out the character of Christ in everyday life

* Ephesians 4:21-24, "Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from Him, throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy."
* Ephesians 5:1-2, "Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are His dear children. Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved us and offered Himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God."
* Romans 12:1-2, "Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will."

From time to time, I look at the debits (where I spend my monies) in my bank account where my treasure is and then I know where my heart is.......Matthew 6:20-21, "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

I learn then that You, Lord Jesus, You alone, are God, and there is no god besides You. It is You Who bring both death and life, You Who inflict wounds and heal them. You will sharpen Your flashing sword, and Your hand shall lay hold of Your quiver, “With vengeance You will repay Your foes and requite those who hate You." Close at hand is the day of our disaster, and our doom is rushing upon us! Surely, the LORD shall do justice for Your people; on Your servants You shall have pity...It is You, Lord, Who deal death and give life!!! Amen! (Deuteronomy 32:35, 36, 39, 41)

Thy Will by Hillary Scoot and The Scott Family

Tim
August 7, 2020 at 08:48 AM

Salina, wonderful, well thought out from your heart is your devotion today and everyday. Thank you for sharing these with us, may our God be in your heart always.

Amen

August 7, 2020 at 08:17 AM

Amen. :)

August 7, 2020 at 08:12 AM

Good morning living faith family I will pray for you at Mass this morning. Today is the first Friday of the month. I am going to do the stations of the cross in the Marian tradition. I will mention it at the end of mass maybe I will get company.

Ken