Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
July 30, 2020
St. Peter Chrysologus
Trusting God to Do the Rest
The angels will go out and separate the wicked from the righteous and throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.
Matthew 13:48-49
A sudden surge of hundreds of emails received within minutes, thanking me for registering for some service or other, was my first big clue that something was wrong. An account of mine had been hacked, a large purchase made, and this flood of false communication mixed in with my normal daily business was a technique for masking the notification of the theft. Sometimes the negative floods us, overwhelms us, to the point where we can't see the good at all. It would be wonderful to snap my fingers, make it all go away instantly, with no messy cleanup. But that's not going to happen on this earth. I'll do my best, tend to my own heart and pick up the pieces the best I can--and trust that in the end, God will do the rest, according to his justice.
God of love and truth, I trust in your guiding hand.

- Amy Welborn

Jeremiah 18:1-6|Psalm 146:1-6|Matthew 13:47-53

Comments

July 30, 2020 at 09:13 PM

Amy, thank you for your though provoking devotion.

I agree with Amy, "Sometimes the negative floods us, overwhelms us, to the point where we can't see the good at all".

"We have to do our best, tend to our own heart and pick up the pieces the best we can--and trust that in the end, God will do the rest, according to his justice".

Sharing this:
"God the Potter won’t stop working on you. He doesn’t get frustrated; rather, He’ll keep trying again and again to mold you into His disciple. Whenever you rebel, He patiently picks out your hardened parts, discards what is useless in your life (Mt 13:48), and gently tries again, “It is hard for you to” fight against Him (see Acts 26:14)."

God Bless our Living Faith Family.

July 30, 2020 at 04:44 PM

Thank you, Amy, for this devotion. God knows us all too well. All He asks is that we "do our best" and not someone else's best.

Prayers to all in need of prayers today.

July 30, 2020 at 03:26 PM

"This word came to Jeremiah from the LORD:
Rise up, be off to the potter’s house;
there I will give you my message."

In the day of Jeremiah there were a lot of bad people doing evil things. The Father God had to mold Jeremiah into the person He wanted Jeremiah to be but Jeremiah did as God the Father requested. Let us today and always be ready to listen to our Father God and trust in Him.

July 30, 2020 at 03:00 PM

Thank you, Amy, for the example of your message.

July 30, 2020 at 01:16 PM

Thank you Amy for your words this morning. They spoke to my weary spirit today. I have written down the prayer requests for this morning and today I include myself. As I sit before my Lord and Blessed Mother my heart is burdened. The negative is overwhelming me today yet it comes from within my extended family which is even harder because at the moment "I can't see the good at all." Yet I remind myself that "my help is in the name of the Lord who made heaven and earth." So once again I shake the dust of the world off myself and move forward. The Lord and the Blessed Mother will never let me down!

Tillie
July 31, 2020 at 12:21 AM

Colleen, I'm sorry your heart is burdened and that your spirit is weary. You're faith and trust in our Lord is strong, God Loves you unconditionally and will never abandon you. Take care of yourself and your heart, let go of your burdens and trust that "in the end, God will take of the rest".

I'll add you to my prayer list and when I pray the Rosary. God Bless you.

July 30, 2020 at 11:19 AM

Good morning Living Faith Family:

Asking for your additional prayers for my good friends husband today as he is seeing a specialist today and for another friends daughter who has brain cancer. May our prayers be hear on high and may our blessed Mother Mary intercede on our behalf.

Separating Good From Evil:

In today’s Gospel we hear Jesus describing the Kingdom of heaven and how hard it will be to enter through the narrow gate.

Jesus paints us a clear picture of a fisherman casting his nets into open waters and then at the end of the day, separating the good from the bad.

We too will be subjected to the separation of Good vs. Evil by God’s angels.

I like the encryption Jesus uses here as his first apostles were trained fishermen, Peter, Andrew, Jame and John.

Jesus as we know change these men’s mission, instead of catching fish, they were to catch men for the kingdom. The sea, is the world’s canvas. As in the sea, storms come out of nor where sometimes, and in this world we try to navigate between the noice, grievance, roaring and anger of the people in this world.

Let there be peace in the world today so we can remain focused on the task at hand, gathering people for his kingdom.

Jesus gives us his grace, wisdom and showers us with gifts and talents. We are to use all of these fas our net in gather up the harvest or the kingdom.

Blessed are we who choose good over evil.

May we continue to receive, so that we can continue our work gathering of the harvest for our King, Jesus Christ.

Amen

July 30, 2020 at 09:59 AM

The potter and the clay in the first reading reminds me of Isaiah 29:16, "
* You turn things upside down, as if the potter were thought to be like the clay!
* Shall what is formed (clay) say to the one who (potter) formed it, “You did not make me”?
* Can the pot say to the potter, “You know nothing”?"

It sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? But we do that...how?

Isaiah 29:11-13, "For you this whole vision is nothing but words sealed in a scroll.
* And if you give the scroll to someone who can read, and say, “Read this, please,” they will answer, “I can’t; it is sealed.” Or if you give the scroll to someone who cannot read, and say, “Read this, please,” they will answer, “I don’t know how to read.”
* The Lord says: “These people come near to Me with their mouth and honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me.
* Their worship of Me is based on merely human rules they have been taught."

Here is another example in Isaiah 45:9, "What sorrow awaits those who argue with their Creator.
* Does a clay pot argue with its maker?
* Does the clay dispute with the one who shapes it, saying, ‘Stop, you’re doing it wrong!’
* Does the pot exclaim, ‘How clumsy can you be?’"

I agree with Isaiah's prayer in Isaiah 64:8-12, "And yet, O Lord, You are our Father. We are the clay, and You are the potter. We all are formed by Your hand.
* Don’t be so angry with us, Lord. Please don’t remember our sins forever. Look at us, we pray, and see that we are all Your people.
* Your holy cities are destroyed. Zion is a wilderness; yes, Jerusalem is a desolate ruin. The holy and beautiful Temple where our ancestors praised You has been burned down, and all the things of beauty are destroyed.
* After all this, Lord, must You still refuse to help us? Will You continue to be silent and punish us?"
Amen!!!

I love the book of Isaiah! And Isaiah 64 is so pertinent for this day...

Potter's Hand by Hillsong

July 30, 2020 at 09:24 AM

I reconize these scam emails by their email addresses. I also have a standard reply to these scam emails, "Remove my email address from your list immediately!!! This email was forwarded to the Offices of Postal Inspector and State Attorney for further investigation and possible prosecution of mail fraud. Stop immediately!!!" Then I move these emails into the 'Spam' folder so future emails from the same email addresses will go directly into the spam folder! Unfortunately, they can randomly change the email addresses :-( I may not change anything since most of these emails are generated automatically, but I feel better writing about what could have been :-)

July 30, 2020 at 09:21 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for this Gospel today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father, most of all, for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, now and forever. Amen

July 30, 2020 at 08:28 AM

Patrick, Sue, Sally, Robert, Ken
Praying for you now .

Sham Peter
July 30, 2020 at 09:16 AM

Heavenly father. Thank you for today. Blessings to all the living faith family members. Help all those persons who have lifted up their personal intentions.

July 30, 2020 at 08:22 AM

July 30, 2020 at 08:21 AM

Thank you Jesus for this beautiful day.
I love your last sentence Amy God is doing
The rest.

July 30, 2020 at 07:36 AM

Lord, I pray to follow your words to direct my work today. Help Sally and Robert to see your loving arms around them as they face these hard times. Thank you,My God.

July 30, 2020 at 07:36 AM

July 30, 2020 at 08:17 AM

Patrick and Sue I will pray for you this morning as well as Sally and Robert
Ken

July 30, 2020 at 05:03 AM

Thank you. I DO have to try to remain calm. Serve in Love. Spread His Love, His joy