Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
July 4, 2019
Independence Day, U.S.A.
A Test of Faith
Then God said: "Take your son Isaac, your only one, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah. There you shall offer him up as a burnt offering..."
Genesis 22:2
God's test of Abraham seems almost unbelievable. He is told to burn his child, his only child, on an altar like a sacrificial lamb. It is more than most people could take. It is a test I'm pretty certain I would not have the courage to consider. Thankfully, God has not tested me in that way. But there remains for me daily tests of faith, tests I fail, or tests where I offer only inconsistent effort. Do I support the orphan and the widow? Do I welcome the stranger? Do I visit the sick or those in prison? Do I seek forgiveness for my faults? Do I show mercy when it is required? We have a faith that challenges us every day, maybe not as direly as Abraham, but it challenges us nonetheless.

- Paul Pennick

Genesis 22:1-19|Psalm 115:1-6, 8-9|Matthew 9:1-8

Comments

July 4, 2019 at 07:26 PM

July 4, 2019 at 03:25 PM

Pray for our country and well being and prosperity. It matters. God bless and protect and guide all. AMEN.

July 4, 2019 at 01:47 PM

Paul, thank you for your heartwarming devotion. I needed to hear this today.

"A Test of Faith".

I have a faith that challenges me every day, but my biggest downfall is keeping a positive and happy attitude while being tested. Instead I get depressed and complain.

Lord, help me to face your challenges with a better and positive attitude. Help me to seek for forgiveness for my downfalls, my lack of faith while being tested. Amen

Continued prayers for Tim and Karen his sis., for Ken and Kathy, Patricia and for all of our Living Faith Family that are in need of our prayers.

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY Living Faith Family!

July 4, 2019 at 10:53 AM

Amen:)

July 4, 2019 at 09:59 AM

Happy 4th Of July to everyone.

Prayers for our Living Faith Family.

I just wanted to thank you all again for your prayers for my big sister, Karen.

Karen was in surgery pretty much all day yesterday but her doctors said it went great. They are going to begin waking her up this morning. Then her journey, when she is going to need so much support begins. Thank you all for your prayers for her.

Jesus, today help me follow your examples set forth for us to follow. We believe, may we want to continue to share the word with others.

Amen

July 4, 2019 at 08:56 AM

Lord, I have been challenged and anticipate many more challenges ahead. I continue to pray for the grace of wisdom, knowledge, motivation and courage to endure my test. I cannot do it without you. Amen.

I continue to pray for many of the LF family who are in need, sick or just need comforting from our Lord.

A Blessed Independence Day and May God Bless America!

Gary Proudfit
July 4, 2019 at 09:56 AM

We have a faith that challenges us every day. I needed that because I'm challenged continually each and every day. Amen.