Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
July 3, 2019
St. Thomas
Widening the Circle
You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God...
Ephesians 2:19
There's no shortage of grocery stores near my home. One offers flu shots and reward cards. Another features a pianist at the checkout lines. My preference is the one with absolutely no amenities. Its aisles are stocked with products I don't recognize and labels I can't read. Most shoppers there speak languages I don't understand and buy foods I've never tasted. It dawns on me that I seem as foreign to some of the customers as they seem to me. What draws me there is more than curiosity. I want to learn about our brothers and sisters from around the world because we belong to the household of God. As I shop, I realize there is much more than meets the eye. Beyond labels and languages, we are all the same. This gift of diversity is ours to discover, even in a grocery store. Each time we recognize the gift, we widen the circle of God's universal love.

- Gail Goleas

Ephesians 2:19-22|Psalm 117:1-2|John 20:24-29

Comments

July 3, 2019 at 11:07 PM

World youth day.
We come together on this day to encounter
Jesus in the world in different youngest.
Jesus is in everyone.
In 2013 I was in Spain Madrid with thousands
Of youth sharing Jesus.
I advise you to go experience our faith in a world
Youth day.
Peace LFF

Alfred E. Newman Respond to comment
July 3, 2019 at 04:04 PM

What? Me Worry?

July 3, 2019 at 03:57 PM

Gail, thank you for your devotion.

May we all have a heart filled with faith and the Holy Spirit. May we discover the gift of diversity and impact thousands of people anywhere we're at, whether it's at theater, a store, or a restaurant so that we widen the circle of God's universal love.

God Bless our Living Faith Family and continued prayers for all of us.

July 3, 2019 at 02:30 PM

Thank you for your wonderful reflection. I, too, often shop at a no-frills grocery store with a very diverse population. It's one where we need a quarter to unlock a cart which is returned when the cart is returned. There is sort of an unspoken code about helping others. Offering a quarter, receiving a quarter, offering the cart to someone before locking it up. Last December, a young woman wearing a head scarf couldn't find her quarter. As I walked up, I offered her mine and got another out of my car which was nearby. She found me in the store to give me a cute Christmas mug filled with chocolate. A smile and a quarter goes a long way in this world, or at least in the grocery store.

July 3, 2019 at 02:21 PM

Let's see what Paul said in today's passage that qaulifies us not as strangers and sojourners but we are fellow citizens and members of the household of God...Ephesians 2:20-22, "
*built upon the foundation of the Apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus Himself as the capstone.
* Through Him (Jesus) the whole structure is held together and grows into a temple sacred in the Lord;
* in Him (Jesus) you also are being built together into a dwelling place of God in the Spirit."

With Him, through Him and in Him! Jesus Christ my Lord and my God!!!

Yes, my family name is "Jesus!" We belong together in the same family if your family name is "Jesus!" :-) Yes, I may not know you, but ancestry.com says we are from the same family way back when.......:-) Our DNA is tied to Jesus' life, death and ressurection! Yes, we are brothers and sisters!!!

This is an exclusive and inclusive family! Exclusive because only the family name of Jesus is allowed! Inclusive because everyone who calls on the Name of Jesus can have the family name to be adopted :-)

I go out to all the world and tell the Good News of Jesus Christ. For steadfast is His kindness for us, and the fidelity of the LORD endures forever. Amen!!! Psalm 117:2

July 3, 2019 at 01:06 PM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this beautiful day and for today's Gospel. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life, and for my family. Thank you Holy Father most of all for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen

July 3, 2019 at 12:42 PM

Too politically correct...

July 3, 2019 at 11:58 AM

July 3, 2019 at 11:58 AM

What a beautiful reminder that we are all brothers and sisters no matter what. I love getting to know the different languages and cultures of my students, it helps me to better understand them and their families. I have learned so much from just keeping an open mind and heart.
Tim, I’m so glad you have shared your faith and your family with us here. I have been praying for Karen ,and you, and will continue to do so. May God continue to bless you both with his love and his goodness. Have a safe journey home.
Blessings to our LFF and their love ones.

July 3, 2019 at 11:58 AM

Blessings to our LFF and their love ones.

July 3, 2019 at 09:46 AM

Amen. :)

July 3, 2019 at 08:56 AM

Tim, your call at the airport from your sister is a fortunate coincidence. You may know the definition of coincidence often attributed to Albert Einstein—“Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.” Your phone call is like the figurative phone calls we all receive from time to time that give us the sense of Christ’s presence in our lives, if we are open to listening. God’s blessing on you and Karen.

July 3, 2019 at 08:34 AM

Raising my children in North Cobb county I’d bring them into the city of Atlanta so that they may be exposed to other cultures and learn that God has given us so many brothers and sisters of different colors, languages, and beliefs. I hope God smiled when we were on those trips,I believe He did

July 3, 2019 at 08:22 AM

We are all so blessed to have each other, the church on our journey with out Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

We are one body with many parts.

I want to personally thank you all for your wonderful supportive, strengthening comments and prayers for Karen.

I am unfortunately traveling back home from Dallas today, but I have already sent her a text, offering her comfort knowing that she has all of you pray for her. I told her this morning how muon love her and that her God is in total control and to let go and let God.

Hugs, prayers for my wonderful big sister Karen.

Dear lord Jesus, come into Karen’s heart and reassure her this morning that you are with her. Calm her anxiety and offer your loving embrace. Tell her she is loved and forgiven.

I am sitting here at the airport waiting for my flight it is really early, and guess who called me to tell me she loves me, yes Karen from the hospital.
I told her she just made my day and that all of you our Living Faith Family is praying for her.

I told her I was right in the middle of this long but important message.

This just shows all of us the power of prayer and he know what we need before we do.

We serve such a loving God. Prayers for all of our Living Faith Family today and everyday.

Amen

Tillie
July 3, 2019 at 04:13 PM

Tim, I'm sorry I didn't finish my response......

I continue to pray for your sister, Karen. I pray that God will embrace her and give her the strength to carry on. I pray that God will give you comfort and consolation. May God be with you and Karen.

Tillie
July 3, 2019 at 04:08 PM

Tim, maybe it was mental telepathy between you and your sister, Karen.

Barbara
July 3, 2019 at 02:14 PM

My prayers continue for you and Karen. Your words were powerful. Yes, God is in charge and will love her through this. You've shown great courage and love to allow us to be part of your life.
In Christ,
Barbara

July 3, 2019 at 01:50 PM

Dallas is my home town when I first came to this country :-)

Praying for Karen, her family and her hospital surgery and recovery care teams!!!

* Exodus 15:26c, "I will not make you (Karen) suffer any of the diseases I sent on the Egyptians; for I am the Lord Who heals you (Karen)."
* Jeremiah 17:14, "O Lord, if You heal me (Karen), I (Karen) will be truly healed; if you save me (Karen), I (Karen) will be truly saved. My (our) praises are for You alone!"
* Psalm 103:1-4, "Let all that I am praise the Lord; with my whole heart, I will praise His Holy Name. Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things He does for me. He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases. He redeems me from death and crowns me with love and tender mercies."

Amen! Amen! and Amen!

annie
July 3, 2019 at 10:51 AM

My love and prayers for Karen this morning. May God be with her and continue to bless her. Amen!

July 3, 2019 at 07:38 AM

Great reflection, Gail. The door is narrow for those who would exclude others, but recognizing the gifts of God’s universal love in our neighbors is the pathway to everlasting peace and joy.