June 30, 2019
Thirteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Floating Along the Path
You will show me the path to life...
Psalm 16:11
God is there on the path. I just have to get myself onto it. Today I reflected on Denise Levertov's poem in which she describes her acceptance of grace as that of swimmers floating on their backs, allowing the water to bear them up. Now I know I need to do my part to get on the "path of life," but I also know that I must "float," which is to release my disquiet upon the grace-filled waters of the Holy One. How many times I've been at prayer when anxious distractions arise as to what I will say in future retreats and conferences. I've learned to "float" by responding to those disturbances with the trusting prayer: "You will give me the words." As soon as I utter that line (allowing myself to "float"), my concerns lift and peace returns.

- Sr. Joyce Rupp, O.S.M.

1 Kings 19:16, 19-21|Psalm 16:1-2, 5, 7-11|Galatians 5:1, 13-18|Luke 9:51-62

Comments

June 30, 2019 at 04:29 PM

Lennise
July 1, 2019 at 04:44 AM

Releasing and surrendering takes courage, but it is what we must do to get on the 'path'... and just float in God's grace what a beautiful analogy.

June 30, 2019 at 03:07 PM

When I reflect on today’s Gospel, and the first reading,
do you hear his call?

God is calling us to follow where he is leading us. It
might be in ministry in our local church, community,
or just among others. Maybe being an active member of our Living Faith Family,
sharing your faith with others.

What I do know is he wants us to focus forward not backwards. We have today, yesterday is gone and tomorrow is not promised.

Prayers for our Living Faith Family today and everyday.

Amen

The

June 30, 2019 at 11:05 AM

Amen

June 30, 2019 at 10:40 AM

It is hope that leads us to the path and faith that gives substance to our traveling along the way.our "attitude of faith" allows us to float along with His will and the path and our faith all become intensely real as we live by them. Just my humble opinion.
Peace be with you all!

June 30, 2019 at 10:32 AM

Amen. Beautiful reflection. Lord help us to remember to float in your grace especially during times of uncertainty. Prayers for the LF Family for all their intentions.

June 30, 2019 at 09:47 AM

I wish I can relate to this picture of floating :-( But I can't because I do not know how to swim!!! So that means I only know how to drown :-(

It gives the metaphor of knowing and not knowing Jesus...
* If I know Jesus, I can float in "the grace-filled water of the Holy One!"
* If I don't know Jesus, I can't float but to drown in the rushing water of this world!

Are you floating or drowning?

This scene is interesting and funny in 1 King 19:19b-20, "Elijah went over to him (Elisha) and threw his cloak over him.
* Elisha left the oxen, ran after Elijah, and
* said, "Please, let me kiss my father and mother goodbye, and I will follow you."
* Elijah answered, "Go back! Have I done anything to you?"

Salian's version of the dialog
Elisha: Wait, what does this mean you want me to succeed you? At least, let me finish what I am doing and say goodbye to my parents?
Elijah: Don't bother! This is not my idea!!! I have no clue what is God's plan of calling you to succeed me? I'm just following orders...

I feel like that at times
Salina: I am sorry!
The other person: What for?
Salina: I don't have the slightest idea? I am just prompted by the Holy Spirit to apologize to you. May be you can tell me how I have hurt you or your feelings?

But this much I know today and continue to strive for everyday after
* For freedom Christ set us (me) free; so (I) stand firm and do not submit again to the yoke of slavery. (Galatians 5:1)
* (I) serve one another through love. (Galatians 5:13c)
* (I) live by the Spirit. (Galatians 5:16a)
* Speak, Lord, your servant (Salina) is listening; You have the Words of everlasting life. (1 Samuel 3:9, john 6:68c)
* Therefore my heart is glad and my soul rejoices, my body, too, abides in confidence (Psalm 16:9)
* because You will not abandon my soul to the netherworld, nor will You suffer your faithful one to undergo corruption. (Psalm 16:10)
* You will show me the path to life, fullness of joys in Your presence, the delights at Your right hand forever. (Psalm 6:11)
* Amen!!!

Jewel
July 24, 2019 at 07:07 AM

Amen

June 30, 2019 at 11:51 AM

Amen :-)

Trust and Obey

GL1951
June 30, 2019 at 11:30 AM

To float you need trust. Trust that the water will support your weight. Most people who drown it is because they panic. Just relax and float!