Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
June 28, 2019
The Most Sacred Heart of Jesus
A Shepherd Defined
The lost I will seek out, the strayed I will bring back, the injured I will bind up, the sick I will heal...
Ezekiel 34:16
On this feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, I think it would be fair to say that, from a purely human perspective, the heart of Jesus shows evidence of boundary issues. Clearly, his tender heart seems to have no borders, no gates, no dividing lines that separate "him" and "us," that mark the lines between the desired and the unwanted, the guest and the stranger, the whole and the broken. Accustomed to measuring sticks and devices that calculate worth, we might wonder: Is no one excluded from this heart? Can just anyone be welcomed into this divine spaciousness? The answer is a resounding, emphatic yes! This is a holy heart that leads, gathers, tends and pastures. This is a heart brimming over with longing for us, for all. No exceptions.

- Sr. Chris Koellhoffer, I.H.M.

Ezekiel 34:11-16|Psalm 23:1-6|Romans 5:5-11|Luke 15:3-7

Comments

June 28, 2019 at 07:54 PM

Amen

June 28, 2019 at 07:05 PM

Sr. Chris, thank you for your very beautiful devotion.

I especially like what you wrote:

"Clearly, his tender heart seems to have no borders, no gates, no dividing lines that separate "him" and "us," that mark the lines between the desired and the unwanted, the guest and the stranger, the whole and the broken", Especially Including the Immigrants. "On this earth we are all immigrants after all."

"The Sacred Heart of Jesus is a holy heart that leads, gathers, tends and pastures. This is a heart brimming over with longing for us, for all. No exceptions."

Lord help us to learn not only to love the Sacred Heart of Jesus but also to love as the Sacred Heart loves us all, equally. And help us us to learn to be meek and humble of heart as you are.

God Bless our Living Faith Family.

June 28, 2019 at 03:34 PM

Thank you, sister. With re. to "boundary" reference and present-day border crisis - I think illegal immigration is actually criminal, akin to desperate husbands/fathers robbing stores for food & money. Root of problems in origin countries must be solved/focused on,not blaming or judging present US administration that is overburdened & doing its best. Heck, the truth is, Obama ramped up detention - incl. children - and no one clamored because he was expanding abortion access and same-sex privileges & rights.... Jesus, my Lord, told (St.) Peter, our first pope: "Away from me, Satan!" - at the Last Supper... for a specific reason at that time (- albeit different from the border circumstance) But "real" "love" as Jesus taught sometimes means "no"... And I recognize there's a real crisis - real people suffering who need help. Permitting uncontrolled, illegal influx only harms people on both sides of border in great & grave ways. Uncontrolled borders/allowing illegal influx on the scale it's happening is not necessarily Jesus's heart. Jesus did honor the laws of the land while He walked the earth. Paying His tax w/ a fish-found coin, etc. -- He didn't break any laws. ...So my point is, I do see it as Jesus having some boundaries. Healthy boundaries. His love is for EVERYONE, yes. But this is an OUTWARD expression. I don't think He taught to 'let everyone IN'. In fact, I think Scripture shows us He does not. I recognize you're speaking about letting those in sincere need in to one's heart & helping them, loving them. I agree with this. I'm talking about how this is being used to enable & justify situations that makes it worse for people, ultimately. Loving the foreigner does not mean we can violate American immigration laws SET UP for a reason in order TO PROTECT the people of America. Your writing is lovely, sister, but I caution everyone that healthy boundaries exist for a reason. Does this make sense? Thank you so much for your consideration, sister. May God bless you & keep you. Sincerely, Judy

Kathy
June 29, 2019 at 01:47 AM

Thank you Judy!

June 28, 2019 at 01:21 PM

Thank you,Sister, for reminding me to keep at least a part of my heart open to others(right now that’s the best I can do). I know it was only through the wide open heart of Jesus that He has truly changed my life.

June 28, 2019 at 12:36 PM

Praying for Judy Vicky Brenda Joseph Naomi Carrin Anna and Zachary. Saturday is our 45 th anniversary please pray for my wife Kathy and her strength to return. Please pray for my strength to continue.
Ken

Tillie
June 28, 2019 at 07:08 PM

Happy 45th Wedding Anniversary Ken and Kathy. I continue to pray for Kathy and you.

annie
June 28, 2019 at 06:18 PM

Continued prayers for you Ken, and for Kathy. Know that you are in the prayers of the entire living Faith Family. Thank you for your prayers for Zachary. We all appreciate it.
Happy 45th Wedding Anniversary.
God bless us everyone.

Brian D
June 28, 2019 at 02:07 PM

Ken, I give you and yours this prayer. With Jesus in me from the Eucharist, I bless you, your wife and all those you mentioned with the healing from Jesus. The strengthening of your souls, hearts, minds and bodies. Remember to be patient and let Jesus heal you in his time, God's time. Amen!

My wife and I have been experiencing the healing of my 91 year old Mother-In-Law. I had to rely on the strength, patience and trust in Jesus to get us through this far. The time Jesus knew was best has arrived and we are seeing relief in all areas. I love Jesus!! Amen.

June 28, 2019 at 11:07 AM

A beautiful reflection...thank you Sr. Chris

June 28, 2019 at 10:22 AM

Amen. :)

June 28, 2019 at 09:50 AM

The secred heart of Jesus image is my husband's favorite!!!

And today's readings bring me hope, joy and love :-) The image of the Good Shepherd!!!

* Thirteen times in the first reading Jesus said, "I!" God Himself is taking care of the sheep as their Good Shepherd! No hired hands...

* The second reading tells me the picture of me being a sinner and an enemy of God when Jesus died for me!!! His death is for all who will come to Him and believe the One Who sent Him :-)

* Psalm 23 is my husband's favorite: "Only goodness and kindness follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD for years to come." Amen!

I was that lost sheep Jesus came after and left the ninety-nine! "I once was lost, but now am found! Amazing Grace, How sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me!" Amen!

Broken Vessels (Amazing Grace) by Hillsong Worship

June 28, 2019 at 11:57 AM

Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone) by Chris Tomlin

June 28, 2019 at 09:48 AM

Thank you Lord for leading, gathering, tending and pasturing us all at LF! Please continue to guide us if we start to wander away from your loving heart. Amen.

Thank you Sr. Chris for this very uplifting message.

June 28, 2019 at 09:43 AM

Thank you so much for reminding us today of Jesus’s love for us. His love has no boundaries and his compassion towards us does not stop there. Jesus forgiveness is alway there for us.

Blessed most scared heart of Jesus we love you and will always follow where you lead.

Today, please hear my prayers for our Living Faith Family.

Amen