Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
April 7, 2019
Fifth Sunday of Lent
Worldly Versus Divine Pleasures
For his sake I have accepted the loss of all things and I consider them so much rubbish...
Philippians 3:8
As I approach the end of Lent, I consider how the usual dynamic of this season plays out for me: I begin with a mix of enthusiasm, determination and, I admit, a little bit of dread. I have the best of intentions, but will my will follow? I know that my peace lies in Jesus, not in the real but lesser pleasures of this world. I know that the Lenten season is my opportunity to actually live that in a small way. But it's a hard path. It's hard to let go. I look back on the weeks, and I see ups and downs. And, even as I'm honest about any stumbles, I try not to be too hard on myself either. Taking courage from Paul's always bracing honesty, I keep hold of the truth and try, one more time, to let go of what I know, in the end, can't bring me real, lasting joy.
Lord Jesus, you are all I need.

- Amy Welborn

Isaiah 43:16-21|Psalm 126:1-6|Philippians 3:8-14|John 8:1-11

Comments

April 7, 2019 at 04:53 PM

Tim,

This morning I prayed that you will have a safe and wonderful trip to China (back and forth).

God Bless you!

April 7, 2019 at 04:50 PM

Amy, thank you for your honest devotion.

I also look back at my Lenten weeks, and I also have had a "bumpy" (ups and downs) Lenten season.

Referring to Year C, Reading 1, The Lord says, "Remember not the events of the past, the things of long ago consider not; see, I am doing something new!".

Then I think to myself, I only have two more weeks until Easter Sunday, so I'd better stop dwelling on my past bumpy Lenten weeks and move on, move forward to the rest of my Lenten season and finish it spiritually, with a contrite heart and a closer, stronger relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ.

As for judging others, I'm still working on that awful habit. I need help with controlling it.

Lord, please help me with my awful habit of judging others. Amen.

God Bless my Living Faith Family!

April 7, 2019 at 03:44 PM

How do I keep hold of the truth?
* John 8:31-32, "To the Jews who had believed Him, Jesus said, “If you hold to My teaching, you are really My disciples. Then you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free.”
* John 14:6, "Jesus answered, “I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."
* 1 John 5:20, "And we know that the Son of God has come, and He has given us understanding so that we can know the true God. And now we live in fellowship with the true God because we live in fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, and He is eternal life."

What is 'everything' Paul was talking about in Philippians 3:8, "I even consider everything as a loss because of the supreme good of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have accepted the loss of all things and I consider them so much rubbish, that I may gain Christ"?
* Philippians 3:2, 6b, "Watch out for those dogs, those people who do evil, those mutilators who say you must be circumcised to be saved."
* Philippians 3:6b, "And as for righteousness, I obeyed the law without fault."
* Philippians 3:7, "I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done."

All the doings were nice and once Paul thought they were valuable when he was a Phraisee! But now nothing, Paul means nothing, can compared to knowing Christ Himself!!!

So it isn't what we can do during Lent, but Who we come to know more during any day of the year :-) It really doesn't have to be hard, I make it hard so I feel accomplished and that I am doing something hard/worthy :-(

Lesson
Here is what I know/learn about Jesus today in the Gospel: He is patient! With me especially :-) He didn't give an answer to the scribes and the Pharisees right away because He knew they were testing Him! He was doing something else until they continued asking Him!

Application
What do I do when I am asked a testy question when the other party has no intention of knowing or even listening to my answer? Be patient and take my time :-)

I am all Yours with my whole heart, Lord! For You are gracious and merciful, slow to anger, abounding in steadfast love, and relenting in punishment. Amen! (Joel 2:13)

April 7, 2019 at 01:33 PM

April 7, 2019 at 11:11 AM

Thankyou LF family for your prayers and kind suggestions for my grandaughter Abby. It is so reassuring to know that others are praying for her, and may God bless you all for your compassionate hearts.

Enjoyed the joke, Tim! Well done

April 7, 2019 at 09:08 AM

Good Sunday Morning.

Thank you for your devotion Amy.

I hope everyone is a little closer to him as a result of your Lenten journey.

Our new habits do not have to stop because our Lenten journey is coming to an end soon.

Matter of fact, continue to strive to continue your increased relationship with Jesus.

Today’s Gospel speaks to the heart of Judging Others, which is not ours but
Jesus’s. As in the Gospel you can see he judges his way not like worldly ways.

Jesus offers us today his mercy, let us look at our sins, shortcomings and ask for his forgiveness and sin no more.

Our priest today after his holmily shared a joke with us that I thought all of the Living Faith Family would enjoy.

The story uses today’s Gospel and as the Pharisees are gathered ready to cast their stone at her, Jesus says those without sin, throw the first stone, as we heard in the Gospel today, silence, no one. Then from the back row comes a stone... Jesus says, Mom, really.

I hope I repeated it right, because it was great and delivered perfectly.

April 7, 2019 at 02:57 PM

I heard that joke before too at a homily :-) Have a blessed trip to China and may God's favor be with you, Tim!

Here is another one for you, Tim! When Jesus asked for anyone without sin to throw the first stone...two stones were thrown from the back? Jesus said, "Is that You, Dad? And You, I thought You won't be here until I return to Dad?"

Lia
April 7, 2019 at 09:48 AM

Amen. The joke was perfect :) :)!