October 28, 2018
Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Grateful Along the Way
Jesus told him, "Go your way; your faith has saved you." Immediately he received his sight and followed him on the way.
Mark 10:52
Lining the walls of the museum at the shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico was something I had never seen before. Subsequent research revealed that they are actually a common sight in Latin America and some parts of Europe, but that day, they were new to me: ex-voto paintings. I knew of ex-voto charms and plaques and even blue and pink ribbons left in chapels in gratitude for new life, but I'd never seen this--small primitive hand-painted scenes depicting how the prayers of the sick, the injured and the imprisoned had been answered. They were at once charming, raw, honest and so expressive of deep gratitude, I couldn't help but pause, examine my own life, remember answered prayers and the healing grace of God--and follow him on the way, grateful.
Lord, thank you for all you have done for me.

- Amy Welborn

Jeremiah 31:7-9|Psalm 126:1-6|Hebrews 5:1-6|Mark 10:46-52

Comments

Eugene E. Collado Respond to comment
October 28, 2018 at 06:31 PM

Hebrew 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Heavenly Father, thank you so much for all the blessings!

October 28, 2018 at 03:37 PM

October 28, 2018 at 01:05 PM

Broken,
You will get through this. Know we are praying for your healing and strength. Trust.

October 28, 2018 at 10:03 AM

Amen. Thank you Lord for every healing seen and unseen. Prayers for the LF family.
Broken, draw closer to God. I offer my rosary up for you.

October 28, 2018 at 09:57 AM

Lovely reflection, Amy.

Yes, Jesus heals. But what you saw was the "healing after the healing"--the way art (whether you're the artist or the viewer) can continue the healing process.

Thank you again for turning an your observation into an inspiration.

Warmly, Lucida

Lucida
October 28, 2018 at 10:02 AM

Don't know if LF allows inserting links, but I just googled ex-voto and came up with this site with many examples of this art. Not only Latin America, but many from Germany.

October 28, 2018 at 08:18 AM

Dear Broken - Stay as close to Jesus right now as your every breath. He will get you through and you WILL be made whole. Be patient with yourself. There is much to learn in pain and suffering. I will keep you in my prayers.

October 28, 2018 at 08:11 AM

Thank you my Dear Lord for helping my brother during his recent hospitalization. Please watch over him and keep him sheltered. And thank you for the gift of life you have given us.

October 28, 2018 at 07:30 AM

Thank you Amy!

Lord, thank you for everything, for your mercy, your gifts, your Love. I believe in you and I will follow you with a grateful and joyful heart. I love Jesus. Amen

October 28, 2018 at 07:21 AM

I don’t know if you all remember but I wrote about a month again praying for strength as my wife was talking to this guy at work.
Found out today she cheated on me last week during a “break”.
Lord I pray for strength. To know your grace and mercy to feel your impact on my life today.

Tillie
October 28, 2018 at 02:40 PM

Broken, my prayers are with you. Lean on God, He loves you and will give you the strength to get through your pain and suffering.

October 28, 2018 at 09:33 AM

I will pray for you right now ask the Holy spirit to calm your mind and control your thoughts

October 28, 2018 at 06:53 AM

Amen! Thank you Lord for all you continue to do for us. For your continued outpour of mercy upon our lives,we are grateful.For allowing us to meet and to see you along the way on our journey of life,we thank you.