Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
September 26, 2018
Sts. Cosmas and Damian
Journeying in Hope
And as for those who do not welcome you, when you leave that town, shake the dust from your feet in testimony against them.
Luke 9:5
I went to a museum exhibit about World War I and the visual arts. Every display seemed to carry the same story of crushed ideals. The enthusiastic had stepped into the doings of war, enthralled and hopeful, but then stumbled away, dispirited, appalled and broken. I remember how I've lived this dynamic myself, albeit in less serious ways--as a classroom teacher, a parent, a person involved in trying to help others, perhaps even in terms of my own sense of self. How can we continue to hope in the face of harsh, unwelcoming reality? Who knows the answer better than Jesus? In him, I see and hear it: accept reality, respect others' freedom and discern the way forward strengthened by the love and grace that comes only from him.
Jesus, be with me on today's journey. As I meet limits and disappointment, may I still keep my eyes on you.

- Amy Welborn

Proverbs 30:5-9|Psalm 119:29, 72, 89, 101, 104, 163|Luke 9:1-6

Comments

Eugene E. Collado Respond to comment
September 26, 2018 at 08:26 PM

Lord Jesus Christ, as i face the world today and dealing with challenges, I pray for your guidance and bless me with divine strength, wisdom and hope that everything is in your will. I pray that I will end this day peacefully and rest myself at night. I love you so much lord Jesus.

September 26, 2018 at 02:30 PM

Thank you Amy for your devotion.

Dear Jesus, continue to walk with me giving me strength and courage to meet my trials today head-on. Amen

September 26, 2018 at 01:23 PM

Thank you Amy.
All is possible when I walk holding Jesus hand.
I take breaks through out my day and read the
B- I - b - l - e is that the book for me...

September 26, 2018 at 09:53 AM

Amen. Thank you Holy Father for this day and for today’s Gospel. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father most of all for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God, have mercy on me a sinner. Praise to you Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory. Amen
Thank you Thank you Thank you Holy Father

September 26, 2018 at 09:14 AM

September 26, 2018 at 08:31 AM

In him we have faith. Dear Lord, please hear your servants call for help and direction, as it seems everyday has been filled with many unforeseen challenges.

At the end of the day, I know I have my Lord at my side which my comfort.

Thank you.
Amen

Aworkinprogress Respond to comment
September 26, 2018 at 07:28 AM

Thank you...just what I needed to hear today. Amen

Patrick
September 26, 2018 at 08:22 AM

Thank you Amy, I needed to hear it also. We are all works in progress and need encouragement like this devotional to help keep us on track.

September 26, 2018 at 07:27 AM

Amen, Amy! "How can we continue to hope in the face of harsh, unwelcoming reality?" The answer is "In Him," Jesus that is!

But how?
* Mark 1:15, "The Kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the Gospel."
* Psalm 119:105, "Your Word is a lamp for my feet, a light for my path."
* Proverbs 30:7-8, "Two things I ask of You, deny them not to me before I die: Put falsehood and lying far from me, give me neither poverty nor riches; provide me only with the food I need;"

But why? The Gospel? His Word? Asking for His provision?
* Colossians 1:19-20, "In (Jesus) all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, and through Him (Jesus) to reconcile to Himself (Jesus) all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of His cross."
* John 1:1, "In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word (Jesus) was with God, and the Word (Jesus) was God."
* 2 Peter 1:3, "His (Jesus) divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of Him (Jesus) who called us by His (Jesus) own glory and goodness."

What then when I face harsh and unwelcoming reality? "Fuhgeddaboudit"
* Luke 9:5b, "you leave that town, shake the dust from your feet in testimony against them."

Your Word, O LORD, endures forever; It is firm as the heavens. From every evil way I withhold my feet, that I may keep Your Words. Your Word, O Lord, is a lamp for my feet. Amen! (Psalm 119: 89, 101, 105)

September 26, 2018 at 07:18 AM