- Amy Welborn
Amy, thank you for the beautiful reflection on today's feast. Powerful reminder to remain alert to God's presence always in all ways.
Yes, Amy! Your son "always alert to the mysteries that nature holds, had been paying attention, so he was able to see!"
How did the magi know about the Messiah, the King of the Jews and see the star?
Matthew 2:5-6, "They (Magi) said to him (Herod), "In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it has been written through the prophet: And you, Bethlehem, land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; since from you shall come a ruler, Who is to shepherd my people Israel."
Magi was quoting Micah 5:1, "But you, Bethlehem-Ephrathaha least among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel; Whose origin is from of old, from ancient times."
They read Scriptures and paid attention to their environment finding the star. Because they were professional astrologers!
So it should be with me.......Alert to the Scriptures daily and pay attention to my environment.......searching for the Light.......
Matthew 2:11, "They prostrated themselves and did Him homage. Then they opened their treasures and offered Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh."
This fulfilled the Scriptures in Isaiah 60:6, "Caravans of camels shall fill you, dromedaries from Midian and Ephah; all from Sheba shall come bearing gold and frankincense, and proclaiming the praises of the LORD."
Listen to what Jesus said to the disciples in.......
Matthew 24:3-14, "As He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?” And Jesus answered them, “
* See that no one leads you astray.
* For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and they will lead many astray.
* And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars.
* See that you are not alarmed, for this must take place, but the end is not yet.
* For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom,
* and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places.
* All these are but the beginning of the birth pains.
* Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and put you to death,
* and you will be hated by all nations for My Name's sake.
* And then many will fall away and betray one another and hate one another.
* And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray.
* And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold.
* But the one who endures to the end will be saved.
* And this gospel of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the whole world as a testimony to all nations,
* and then the end will come."
John 16:33, "I (Jesus) have said these things to you,
* that in Me you may have peace.
* In the world you will have tribulation.
* But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
Luke 12:40, "
* You also must be ready,
* for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect."
John 14:1-3, "
* Let not your hearts be troubled.
* Believe in God; believe also in Me.
* In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?
* And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I AM you may be also."
All these too are being and will be fulfilled! I see the Light.......Jesus is coming back!
Praise You, Lord Jesus Christ, Who reigns forever and ever! I am coheir, members of the same body, and copartner in the promise in Christ Jesus through the Gospel. Amen!
Living Faith provides brief daily Catholic devotions based on one of the Mass readings of the day. Published new each quarter, these reflections are written by women and men from a variety of backgrounds - lay people as well as clergy and religious. Learn more.
Receive a free reflection for Sundays every week via email
© 2023 Creative Communications for the Parish, a division of Bayard, lnc. All Rights Reserved.
Your son had eyes to see...