Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
August 23, 2017
St. Rosa of Lima
Who Gets It?
What if I wish to give this last one the same as you? Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?
Matthew 20:14-15
I was sitting in my car in the parking lot of a local park, preparing for a run. My door was open, and stuffed in the side pocket were some packs of children's religious materials I'd been sent as samples. I was going to leave them at church. A small boy trotted up to me. He spied the brightly colored papers in the side pocket and grabbed them. I instinctively (but gently!) reached out and took them back. But then I thought, [i]why not?[/i] So I tore open the packet and gave him a booklet. Within a second, a little girl ran up and held out her hand. I gave her one. Their mother called, they raced away, showing her what they'd been given. [i]They weren't for those kids[/i], I'd thought at first, holding back. That's not who they were for. But then it had come to me--maybe it's exactly who they were for!
Generous God, teach me to discern how to share what you have given me.

- Amy Welborn

Judges 9:6-15|Psalm 21:2-7|Matthew 20:1-16

Comments

August 23, 2017 at 08:37 AM

Thanks for sharing this story, Amy. This Gospel speaks to me of collaboration instead of competition. The generosity of God's unconditional love comes freely and at the time intended...the world, however teaches us that we must compete (or be at the right time, place, age, race, etc).for the prize. What we are called to is cooperating with God's grace. Your giving to these children was an example of recognizing this wonderful opportunity to share in what you had been given! Blessings!!

August 23, 2017 at 08:31 AM

Ah Yes...Divine Intervention!
That's a true blessing!
Thanx Amy for sharing God's love through your life experiences!
Another true blessing!
God Bless us ALL and ALL who we Love!

August 23, 2017 at 08:28 AM

Amen! :D

August 23, 2017 at 07:58 AM

I am reminded of a Jesuit retreat I was on a few years ago. Approximately ninety men were there with all of us having our own prayer seat in the chapel that we returned to for conferences, daily Mass, and religious services. I did not know the retreat master and he did not know me but I had gone to confession to him and he brought up Anthony de Mello, one of mt favorite spiritual writers. When I returned to my prayer seat right after lunch, there was de Mello's book The Way of Love in my seat which I had never read. I had never spoken to anyone about de Mello except the retreat master and he did not know me from Adam. I was given something I treasure and I don't know from where it came.

August 23, 2017 at 07:11 AM

This verse reminds me of something that happened to my husband and me recently. Sometimes our Lord reveals a person's love after they die. It is a wonderful surprise!

The Holy Spirit was definitely working with Amy the day she happened upon those children. The materials she gave them could be the ones that change their lives in a big way!

Thank You Lord, for your never-ending glorious mysteries! Thank You for all Your wonderful blessings. Help me to pass on the beauty and glory of Your Son, Jesus Christ!

August 23, 2017 at 07:42 AM