Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
Living Faith - Bayard Faith Resources
July 4, 2017
Independence Day, U.S.A.
One Step of Holiness at a Time
He said to them, "Why are you terrified, O you of little faith?"
Matthew 8:26
One of the greatest obstacles in my writing life is the specter of the big picture. A project is so great, my abilities so inadequate, I think, so why even start? The other day, I was working on a fiction piece (I have never published any fiction, and now you know why). I sat there, paralyzed by an ideal that was too great for what I perceived to be my small talents. And then I thought, "I don't have to write the great American novel in the next 15 minutes. All I have to do is describe this chicken." (It was an egg cup shaped like a chicken.) So, today, I don't have to save the world or fix all the problems. I am just called to love the person in front of me, make a sacrifice, let Jesus in a bit more and not be afraid.
Jesus, lead me in small steps of holiness today.

- Amy Welborn

Genesis 19:15-29|Psalm 26:2-3, 9-12|Matthew 8:23-27

Comments

July 5, 2017 at 04:15 PM

I can't tell you how relevant this was for me today! My writing attempts can really make me doubt myself. Never thought of describing a chicken....
Lord, please show me the way.

July 4, 2017 at 02:01 PM

Thank you Amy, wonderful devotion. Jesus, I'm sorry for my lack of faith lately. Happy Fourth of July everyone.

July 4, 2017 at 01:25 PM

Thanks Amy...great reflection! Yes, many small steps make a journey!

July 4, 2017 at 01:15 PM

Amen. :)

July 4, 2017 at 10:36 AM

Lord, please forgive me when I act of little faith, not trusting You to guide me. Thank You for our freedom and may God bless America. Amen.

July 4, 2017 at 09:19 AM

Indeed, life can be overwhelming at times! One small step at a time is all I can do during those times :-) It reminds me of the first time Neil Armstrong arrived on the moon, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!"

Getting up in the morning to dress may be a small step, but for some it is giant leap just to survive and face the day! Have you ever felt that?

Lot felt that way in Genesis 19 when he was asked to flee to the hills but he said instead 19:19b-20, "But I cannot flee to the hills to keep the disaster from overtaking me, and so I shall die. Look, this town ahead is near enough to escape to. It's only a small place. Let me flee there–it's a small place, is it not?– that my life may be saved."

So were the disciples (mind you they were professional fishermen) when they were faced with violent storms in Matthew 8:25, "They came and woke Him (Jesus), saying, "Lord, save us! We are perishing!"

Both Lot and the disciples did the very thing that helped them to make that small step which is a giant leap possible: they went to God! I once heard a very good advice for every situation I find myself in. "Go to the Throne first before you go to the phone!"

You may think Jesus was rebuking the disciples in saying, "Why are you terrified, O you of little faith?" But when I read that, I heard a gentle mother talking to her little ones in love and protection :-)

Search me, O LORD, and try me; test my soul and my heart. For Your mercy is before my eyes, and I walk in Your truth. (Psalm 26:2-3) Come Lord Jesus, sleep in my boat! For the storms can be very scary for me. Because of the Lord’s great love I am not consumed, for Your compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for You." (Lamentations 3:22-24) When You set me free, I am free indeed! (John 8:36) Amen!

Great is Thy Faithfulness by Chris Rice

July 4, 2017 at 07:15 AM

Amen. Much needed reminder to live in the present moment with faith. Happy Independence Day. God bless America!

July 4, 2017 at 06:13 AM

Looking at the small steps to accomplish the big picture with the help of the Lord. Keeping life a little simpler, one step at a time. Amen....

Paul
July 4, 2017 at 07:28 PM

Well said ! Give Thanks to The Lord !

Angela geltz