February 25, 2017
Childlike Acceptance
Amen, I say to you, whoever does not accept the Kingdom of God like a child will not enter it.
Mark 10:15
A few years ago, I read a book called [i]When Children Became People: The Birth of Childhood in Early Christianity[/i]. In it, historian O. M. Bakke examined the stark differences in the way children were viewed and treated in pagan culture and by Christians. For Jesus' disciples carried his words into a culture that treated children as creatures, or even as [i]things[/i], lacking the faculty of reason that defined a full human being. To present a [i]child[/i]--a thing that could be exploited and killed when inconvenient--and childhood as models for the spiritual life? Absurd. Countercultural. A radical, reality-shifting stance. It is easy for me to shake my head at narrowness in the distant past, but Jesus still lives, the gospel is still preached, and it is preached to me. Jesus challenges my assumptions, right now. How do I respond? Defensively, rationalizing because I know better? Or can I listen...like a child?
Jesus, you speak to me, and setting aside my pride, I listen.

- Amy Welborn

Sirach 17:1-15|Psalm 103:13-18|Mark 10:13-16

Comments

February 25, 2017 at 11:46 AM

I actually like to read very basic chidrens catholic booklets, they are very easy to read and understand without getting complicated or confusing.
I Highly recommend the "St. Joseph's picture book series"

February 25, 2017 at 09:31 AM

Thank you for the message today, powerful as ever.

I think if we approach life with eyes/minds of a child there is a sense of openness, willingness to learn. The ability to be reached rather than have our preconceived ideas of how it is suppose to be. We know these past few weeks and all of Chapter 5 in Matthews Gospel were classic Jesus teaching moments.

I think today we can take away these moments and view them as a child would with the openness to learn and change. A willingness to accept Jesus Christ in our everyday lives so that we too may reach his kingdom and on the way bring more friends to the way of Jesus.

May God Bless All of you today and everyday.
Tim

annie
February 25, 2017 at 06:56 PM

May God bless us, Everyone.

February 25, 2017 at 09:26 AM

Yes...to listen...scrambling the letters to "silent"...2 ears and one mouth! :)

February 25, 2017 at 09:20 AM

Amen! :)

February 25, 2017 at 08:25 AM

Thank you for this inspirational devotional.

Klove quote of the day:
"You are the light of the world - like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden."

February 25, 2017 at 08:25 AM