grouplicense
grouplicense
November 16, 2016
St. Margaret of Scotland, St. Gertrude
Talents and Needs
A nobleman went off to a distant country to obtain the kingship for himself and then to return. He called ten of his servants and gave them ten gold coins and told them, "Engage in trade with these until I return."
Luke 19:12-13
This parable is similar to what we know as the Parable of the Talents in Matthew. In each, an authority figure entrusts subordinates with a sum to utilize. Those who make nothing of that trust are held up as examples of what not to do. Even though the "talents" in Jesus' parable in Matthew refer to currency, not abilities, we often apply both parables to that area of life. But I wonder if that is actually the point. After all, when a floor needs to be cleaned or a baby tended to in the night, what gifts are required for those works of mercy? While it's true that we all have varied gifts, I have to be careful to not use my discernment of such as an excuse to ignore the needs right in front of me. The love of Christ--real, powerful and generous--is what I've been entrusted with and what I am to make fruitful, like Jesus did, to the cross.
Jesus, may I boldly share the grace entrusted to me.

- Amy Welborn

Revelation 4:1-11|Psalm 150:1-6|Luke 19:11-28

Comments

Leeta von Buelow Respond to comment
November 24, 2016 at 12:36 AM

I so dislike the English scripture translations used at Mass. I read them in German instead.

November 16, 2016 at 11:04 AM

Amen. :)

November 16, 2016 at 07:34 AM

Do You Seriously Think God Can't Use You?

"Noah was a drunk; Abraham was too old; Isaac was a daydreamer; Jacob was a liar; Leah was ugly; Joseph was abused; Moses had a stuttering problem; Gideon was afraid; Samson had long hair and was a womanizer; Rahab was a prostitute; Jeremiah and Timothy were too young; David had an affair and was a murderer; Elijah was suicidal; Isaiah preached naked; Jonah ran from God; Naomi was a widow; Job went bankrupt; Peter denied Christ (3 times!); The Disciples fell asleep while praying; Martha worried about everything; Mary Magdalene was promiscuous; the Samaritan woman was divorced, more than once...; Zaccheus was too small; Paul was too religious; Timothy had an ulcer....AND Lazarus was dead!"

Ephesians 2:10, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

When God calls us, He Equips us (like David), He Enables us (like Esther), He Provides for us (like Abraham and Moses), and He qualifies us (like Joseph)!

2 Peter 1:3, "His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence,"

Hebrews 13:20-21, "Now may the God of peace who brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great shepherd of the sheep, by the blood of the eternal covenant, equip you with everything good that you may do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to Whom be glory forever and ever. Amen."

Philippians 1:6, "And I am sure of this, that He (Jesus) Who began a good work in you (us) will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

"Worthy are You, Lord our God, to receive glory and honor and power, for You created all things; because of Your Will, we came to be and were created. Holy, holy, holy Lord, mighty God! Praise the LORD in Your sanctuary, praise You in the firmament of Your strength. Praise You for Your mighty deeds, praise You for Your sovereign majesty." Amen!

Jack
November 16, 2016 at 11:54 AM

May God truly complete the good work he gave to us and bring it to a rousing finish!

Jack
November 16, 2016 at 11:54 AM

Thank you Salina..."let everything that has breath praise the Lord!" (Psalm 150)

pam
November 16, 2016 at 10:42 AM

Salina...
Loved your reponse!
Still have my mouth open in "Oh My!"

Lia

November 16, 2016 at 08:58 AM

Great reflection Salina:) Amen

Lia
November 16, 2016 at 08:58 AM

Great reflection Salina:) Amen

November 16, 2016 at 06:51 AM

Thank you Lord for this day and for this Gospel and your message today. Thank you Lord for my faith, my life and for my family. Thank you Holy Father most of all for your great sacrifice and for the opportunity of forgiveness and reconciliation. Please Lord have mercy. Amen

November 16, 2016 at 06:17 AM

Lord help me to recognize and then maximize the talents you have entrusted to me in this life. I'm sorry if I haven't done this very well yet!!! Amen.

November 16, 2016 at 03:19 AM

Lord, thank you for the talents and resources afforded me.
Help me to maximize them to the highest degree.