Catholic Bible Press
Catholic Bible Press
October 2, 2016
Twenty-Seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time
'Uh-oh' Moments
For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7
My almost 2-year-old grandson does not articulate many actual words, but he is quite expressive nonetheless. He shrugs, he shakes his head and nods, he thrusts his hands up and out to the side while making a series of sounds that seem to mean, "I don't know." He says "Go, go, go!" when it's time to go somewhere. When he is engaged in a task, every time there is a slight change--he drops a block or a puzzle piece falls into place--he utters the same two syllables: "Uh-oh!" There's nothing unusual there--it's part of the early vocabulary of most toddlers, isn't it? But what strikes me is that he doesn't just say it when something "bad" happens. Any time there is any transition, it's what comes out: "Uh-oh!" It's cute, but I wonder, do I react the same way to potential or real change? Do I reflexively react with hesitation or even outright fear, or do I react with confidence that, with the help of God's power and love, I can move forward?
Lord, may I greet life's changes with serenity, not fear.

- Amy Welborn

Habakkuk 1:2-3; 2:2-4|Psalm 95:1-2, 6-9|2 Timothy 1:6-8, 13-14|Luke 17:5-10

Comments

October 2, 2016 at 09:36 PM

Amen and I'm glad I found this online!!!

October 2, 2016 at 11:07 AM

Amen. :)

October 2, 2016 at 10:31 AM

It seems as if it's a glorious Sunday all throughout our LF community!
It is definitely a gift here listening to a bird sing, can feel the warmth of the sun but also finally a slight crispness in the air. I've gone from Uh Oh to Ah Ha!
Thank you dear Lord Jesus for your always generous and gentle presence in my life.

October 2, 2016 at 10:00 AM

Uh oh! What a wonderful reflection. I look forward to all the uh ohs in my life today and everyday.

October 2, 2016 at 09:41 AM

Lord, please remove all the things that weaken my power, love and self control that You gave my spirit. I have faith that You will restore my spirit to the fullest so that I may go and live Your will.

May peace be with all on this beautiful day. Amen.

October 2, 2016 at 08:44 AM

Thank you for this message today. I often find myself bracing for the transition rather than asking for Gods help, "leaning" on Him instead. We are moving. A great time to practice. Blessings to the Living faith family today.

October 2, 2016 at 06:10 AM

A beautiful message! I love how we can learn so much from watching others-- even our little ones

Lia
October 2, 2016 at 09:20 AM

Absolutely. Thank you for this reflection. Amen and a blessed,happy Sunday to everyone

Lia