September 18, 2016
Twenty-Fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Word(s) to Live By
He raises up the lowly from the dust;
from the dunghill he lifts up the poor
To seat them with princes,
with the princes of his own people.
Psalm 113:7-8
Once a week, I volunteer in an after-school reading program. The children arrive at the parish following a day in a struggling school in a struggling neighborhood. The early readers may have a few words they are sure about, but when they hit an unfamiliar word, their reaction is always the same--their eyes move from the letters and start darting about the page. There must be a hint. They're looking for a sign. And so am I. The words of faith are mostly familiar, but at times, my inner eye tears itself from that certainty and looks about. "Where is God in all of this? I know he must be here." He is. Not only in the words, but in the Word Made Flesh there is compassion, there is sacrificial love, there is truth boldly proclaimed, there is justice sought and charity poured out. I search the landscape beyond the page and I see that Word, illustrated.

- Amy Welborn

Amos 8:4-7|Psalm 113:1-2, 4-8|1 Timothy 2:1-8|Luke 16:1-13

Comments

September 18, 2016 at 11:43 AM

Amen. :)

September 18, 2016 at 10:18 AM

Amy, thank you for the beautiful reflection. I especially like your last sentence. "I search the landscape beyond the page and I see that Word, illustrated."

September 18, 2016 at 08:10 AM

Amen! Word made Flesh Who dwell among us!

1 Timothy 2:5-6a, "For there is one God. There is also one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself as ransom for all."

2 Corinthians 8:9, "Though our Lord Jesus Christ was rich, He became poor, so that by His poverty you might become rich."

Where are my eyes wandering about? Can I see the Truth in today's reading? There is only Jesus Christ, the bridge between God and men. He was God, He became man Who gave Himself up as the sacrificial lamb so I can be reconciled with God in eternity!

John 14:6, "Jesus said to him (Thomas), “I am the Way, and the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through Me."

Who am I going to call? Jesus Christ!

What do I see? I see You, Lord Jesus! The One and only go between God and me! When I see You, I see God! When I hear You, I hear God! High above all nations is You LORD; above the heavens is Your glory. Who is like You LORD, our God, Who is enthroned on high and looks upon the heavens and the earth below? No one but You and You alone! Don't let me go left or right, keep my eyes on You, Lord Jesus! Amen!

September 18, 2016 at 07:24 AM

Thank you God for sending Jesus to us. Bless my family and keep us safe. Thank you for my blessings and your forgiveness. Amen.

September 18, 2016 at 07:21 AM

Faith! Glorious Faith!

Jack
September 18, 2016 at 05:55 PM

Pam Thanks! I can hear from the Musical OLIVER: "Food, glorious food"..."Faith, glorious Faith!"